• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Geno vs EJ

After watching last nights slop fest I am very happy to have EJ.

Everything they said about Geno has been true to this point. The kid has a great arm he can hit some really small windows, but his confidence, leadership and decision making all unravel at the first sign of adversity.

His receivers did him no favors and the weather certainly took a turn, but he was under throwing everyone in the second half.

After he threw his first INT he complete one pass. He completed two more to the Patriots, going 3-11 with 3INT's in the 4th quarter.

Skills aside. EJ has a much better head on his shoulders, he's also much more equipped to lead. You've already seen that in his demeanor on and off the field. He certainly has more support internally that Geno does. And even though he has yet to throw an NFL interception you can see from his college resume that he's the type of kid who can shake that off. I do feel that the Bills are keeping him on the leash right now, but both TD's being audibles is exactly what you want to see from a young QB.

Geno is destined to be another Jimmy Clausen IMO.
    Last edited by The King; 09-13-2013, 07:55 AM.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Geno vs EJ

I said in a different thread, Geno reminds me of Fitz. He made some nice throws, but at crunch time, he gave the game away to the Pats*

Brady did not win this game, Geno lost it.

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

Ej has had just one game. I'm almost sure Ej would have looked as bad if he were with the jets though. I think we have better O coaches than the jests do.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
        • Sep 2004

Smith looked a lot better than I expected, but he just looked miserable from the start. He walked on and off the field and his demeanor just wasn't that of a fiery leader. He certainly has the talent though.

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Originally posted by better days View Post
          I said in a different thread, Geno reminds me of Fitz. He made some nice throws, but at crunch time, he gave the game away to the Pats*

He had lots of help from Gates and Hill. He was three or four key drops away from adding another 100 yards and at least one TD, which would have been the game winner, to the Jets' bottom line. It's unlikely that he would have thrown more picks then.

Having said that it's way too early to come to conclusions on either QB. Manuel had his weaknesses, like what they said about him and how he played at FSU, being wildly inaccurate at times.

He benefits in the arena of public opinion by having had his two most accurate throws by a long shot having been the two TD plays. He was pretty bad in the first half and a 5.6 ypa is hardly good. And it's not like the offense was stout or anything. One TD was a defensive TD and another was set up by the D.

IMO both QBs look equally confident in the pocket. I thought that Smith faced tougher pass-rushing pressure yesterday than Manuel did here, likely because the Pats' focused on stopping Spiller and the running game, although they coudn't, but the Jets had no one for the Pats to concern themselves with, on paper at least, so I'm guessing that Belicheat chose to try to shut down Smith who threw for nearly 300 yards last week.

I'm actually surprised at how well Smith did play. All rookie QBs that throw a lot are going to have a few 2/3 INT games.
          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
          Originally Posted by pmoon6
          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• kishoph
            • Jun 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

EJ has an up and down game, and he deserves time to grow and get better.

Geno has an up and down game, and he's the next Clausen.

Alrighty then.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The King
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post

Alrighty then.
                Geno's head. Not his game. It's been down for quite a while.
                I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                It was all
                true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The King View Post
                  Geno's head. Not his game. It's been down for quite a while.
                  Agreed, and it was nice to see the fire from Manuel on Sunday after the TD throws. Geno doesn't have that, though in talking to people last year who knew him at West Virginia the sitting by himself stuff is way overblown. He does struggle with adversity though.
                  COMING SOON...

Comment

• The King
                    • Jun 2004

Agreed, and it was nice to see the fire from Manuel on Sunday after the TD throws. Geno doesn't have that, though in talking to people last year who knew him at West Virginia the sitting by himself stuff is way overblown. He does struggle with adversity though.

Is it overblown? The NFL quarterback is the face of a franchise, you have to lead, you have to have confidence and you have to have your team have confidence in you. Geno just comes off somber all the time. Granted he's in the worst possible position with the Jets, he has Sanchez as a mentor and the entire franchise is in disarray. But he's made zero change from the guy at WV, Combine, and draft. It's not easy to rally around a guy like that.

Smith makes Phil Simms look out of control.
                    It was all

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The King View Post
                      Is it overblown? The NFL quarterback is the face of a franchise, you have to lead, you have to have confidence and you have to have your team have confidence in you. Geno just comes off somber all the time. Granted he's in the worst possible position with the Jets, he has Sanchez as a mentor and the entire franchise is in disarray. But he's made zero change from the guy at WV, Combine, and draft. It's not easy to rally around a guy like that.

Smith makes Phil Simms look out of control.
                      Yes what is shown on camera is usually after he has spoken with his WR's and OL. He led meetings at WVU and had nothing but respect and command of the huddle. Geno, Bailey, and Austin used to conduct impromptu film sessions to work on the next week's game plan without coaches. What the camera shows you is only a small part of what is going on down on the sideline so yes I think its way overblown.
                      COMING SOON...

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                        Ej has had just one game. I'm almost sure Ej would have looked as bad if he were with the jets though. I think we have better O coaches than the jests do.
                        Well, Marty Mornhinweg has had proven success in the NFL as an OC. So much so, that he had a shot as the HC of the Lions which he failed miserably at. Meanwhile Nate Hackett is a ROOKIE OC.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Alrighty then.
                          It is not that Geno does not deserve time to improve.

But as I said in other posts, Geno reminds me of Fitz at this point in time.

He makes some nice throws, but when the game is on the line, he loses it with turnovers.

I am so happy to have EJ rather than Geno at this point in time.

Comment

• Turf
                            • Jul 2002

After watching the game last night, I keep going back to we had the Pats beat. The ultra conservative play calling at the end screwed us. We needed to air it out a bit. This ones on Hackett for me.
                            As far as Geno goes, he did make some very good long throws. It was nice to see a QB go downfield. EJ needs to start doing that. EJ did miss Graham on a play that could have sealed the game. Therein lies my concern with EJ, is his downfield accuracy with the long ball. I've seen RG3 hit that play all day long. That's what makes a franchise QB.
                            Geno started throwing behind his receivers late in the game causing the loss and his interceptions. I can't put my finger on it, just a gut feel. I don't like the kid, his demeanor, the dumb grin on his face. I'm glad we don't have him.
                            Last edited by Turf; 09-13-2013, 09:25 AM.
                            Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• BidsJr
                              • Sep 2002

Geno reminds me of JP Losman with worse attitude and worse leadership.

- - - Updated - - -

and worse judgement.
                              "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

Working...
                              X