PDA

View Full Version : OK, so basically the Seahawks cheated

WagonCircler
02-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Seahawks star Richard Sherman says they cracked Peyton Manning's hand signal code during the Super Bowl so they were able to predict every play

Seahawks star Richard Sherman says they cracked Peyton Manning's hand signal code during the Super Bowl so they were able to predict every play

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551566/Seahawks-star-Richard-Sherman-says-cracked-Peyton-Mannings-hand-signal-code-Super-Bowl-able-predict-play.html#ixzz2sNyoOKp1
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Some will argue, of course, that it's part of the game.

I don't see how this is much different than what Belichick did.

In baseball, stealing signals is considered cheating, and I agree. It's cheating.

Had the Seahawks used a hi-tech devise to eavesdrop on the Broncos' huddle, would that be seen as cheating? I say absolutely. This is no different.

Mindbender
02-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Part of the game. Would you call Manning's reading of defenses cheating?

Meathead
02-04-2014, 01:59 PM
idk, is visually stealing hand signals officially against the rules? honestly i dont think it should be

in any event, being able to steal signals while watching something live is COM-PLETE-LY different than recording them. you give me tapes of an opponents signals and im going to hire a team of geeks to digitize everything, chart every signal, compare it against the gametape of what actually happened, and produce a magic batman decoder ring that will tell me what play they are running

adding a video record of hand signals increases your ability to decode them more accurately by a factor of approximately 1,203,347.45%, so yeah id say they are very different

WagonCircler
02-04-2014, 02:04 PM
in any event, being able to steal signals while watching something live is COM-PLETE-LY different than recording them.

How do you suppose they cracked the code? You don't think it involved recording?

Wait, let me guess. Racism.

- - - Updated - - -

Part of the game. Would you call Manning's reading of defenses cheating?

Apple, meet orange.

Meathead
02-04-2014, 02:07 PM
really its shame on peyton and the broncos to not be prepared to prevent them from stealing signals. thats like central to their jobs and there are established ways to get that done. so in a day full of bronco blunders that was just another huge one

SquishDaFish
02-04-2014, 02:09 PM
I don't think it's cheating they figured it out during the game so I dont see that as cheating. I see that as using your brain

Skooby
02-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Omaha.... steak.

The Jokeman
02-04-2014, 02:12 PM
idk, is visually stealing hand signals officially against the rules? honestly i dont think it should be

in any event, being able to steal signals while watching something live is COM-PLETE-LY different than recording them. you give me tapes of an opponents signals and im going to hire a team of geeks to digitize everything, chart every signal, compare it against the gametape of what actually happened, and produce a magic batman decoder ring that will tell me what play they are running

adding a video record of hand signals increases your ability to decode them more accurately by a factor of approximately 1,203,347.45%, so yeah id say they are very different

It's a shame his center couldn't read his hand signal to not snap the ball to him on the first play from scrimmage otherwise it might have been a totally different game.

trapezeus
02-04-2014, 02:18 PM
fake controversy.

meathead's comment is pretty much the answer. case closed.

Mike13
02-04-2014, 02:20 PM
It's a shame his center couldn't read his hand signal to not snap the ball to him on the first play from scrimmage otherwise it might have been a totally different game.

Yeah, Seattle would have scored two less points.

Skooby
02-04-2014, 02:22 PM
A 35 point win tells me that Seattle came in with the #1 defense & the Broncos didn't show up.

AndreReed83
02-04-2014, 02:22 PM
Most offenses change or plan offensive wrinkles during the practice week. Which means no video evidence should exist of these wrinkles. It should then be up to the defensive staff to identify these changes when the two teams play and react to it.

Belichick was video tapping these practices when offenses were being installed and no previous evidence should have existed. Definitely not in in the spirit of the game.

The Seahawks saw that Peyton Manning used hand signals to call routes for his receivers by watching past game footage. They had to take the time to cipher through game footage, determine what each hand signal was, and then react to it properly. The Broncos did not adjust to this the ENTIRE game.

Meathead
02-04-2014, 02:24 PM
meathead's comment is pretty much the answer. case closed.

this really should be part of the TOS

Don't Panic
02-04-2014, 02:29 PM
I don't know... its one thing to read a defense at the line of scrimmage in front of the whole world and make adjustments. Its another to have a secret leg up on the competition. Between this and the PED whispers, I think we may have an asterisks coming....

Meathead
02-04-2014, 02:30 PM

nah. that sucked for denver but a veteran team and certainly peyton shoulda been able to overcome that. seattle only got a fg out of that drive so really it was a five point mistake with just a few minutes gone. denver had plenty of time to make up for that

when you think about it, the denver defense played well enough to win, certainly well into the third quarter. it was mistake after mistake by the broncos offense and special teams that doomed them. and as much as i like peyton as a player, this didnt do anything to help him shake his reputation of being shakey in big games cuz he was awful

The Jokeman
02-04-2014, 02:42 PM
nah. that sucked for denver but a veteran team and certainly peyton shoulda been able to overcome that. seattle only got a fg out of that drive so really it was a five point mistake with just a few minutes gone. denver had plenty of time to make up for that

when you think about it, the denver defense played well enough to win, certainly well into the third quarter. it was mistake after mistake by the broncos offense and special teams that doomed them. and as much as i like peyton as a player, this didnt do anything to help him shake his reputation of being shakey in big games cuz he was awful
I think Seattle's D just gained some confidence with the play as one has to wonder if things be different if didn't happen. That said with Denver's D, bend but don't break defenses can only last so long and if their offense can't put up points when need ultimately you lose. We saw It in Super Bowl XXV as Kelly's clock management was horrible to end that game and Super Bowl XXVIII. I still maintain had the Bills scored a TD before closing out the half instead of settling on a field goal we might have won that one. I agree though Peyton seemed a bit shaky in watching him closely in the game. Also that game told me a lot about Eric Decker the guy is Peyton's 3rd option as a WR and personally not someone I'd overpay for in free agency. I know people will look at his stats but not sure he's worth it as he might end up with Alvin Harper syndrome.

Buffalogic
02-04-2014, 02:50 PM
The code was cracked before the game. Manning sucks in the playoffs. Code deciphered.

stuckincincy
02-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Omaha.... steak.

More than 25 times against SD. Oh the sin of gluttony.

better days
02-04-2014, 03:07 PM
As bad as the Bills lost a couple of those Super Bowls, nothing in the History of the Super Bowl was as bad as this game, even the first Super Bowl between the Packers & Chiefs.

WagonCircler
02-04-2014, 03:32 PM
As bad as the Bills lost a couple of those Super Bowls, nothing in the History of the Super Bowl was as bad as this game, even the first Super Bowl between the Packers & Chiefs.

1986 Bears vs. Pats was pretty bad.

Cleve
02-04-2014, 03:50 PM
If this is true, then it wasn't cheating - it was outstanding defense, and guys with some brains out there, working together to decipher their opponent's offense.

But cheer up- unlikely Buffalo will ever be accused of this sort of 'cheating' - lololol!!!!!

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2014, 04:08 PM

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2551566/Seahawks-star-Richard-Sherman-says-cracked-Peyton-Mannings-hand-signal-code-Super-Bowl-able-predict-play.html#ixzz2sNyoOKp1

In baseball, stealing signals is considered cheating, and I agree. It's cheating.

Had the Seahawks used a hi-tech devise to eavesdrop on the Broncos' huddle, would that be seen as cheating? I say absolutely. This is no different.
This is 100% different.

This is in no way Cheating.

Not even sure how someone could come to that conclusion.

kscdogbillsfan1221
02-04-2014, 04:53 PM
This is 100% different.

This is in no way Cheating.

Not even sure how someone could come to that conclusion.

i couldn't agree more. what? are the seahawks supposed to stop using their brains? would that make it fair?

WagonCircler
02-04-2014, 05:00 PM
They didn't crack the code on the field. In fact, "they" likely didn't crack the code at all. Someone probably analyzed every hand signal of the Broncos' season on video.

Really not different from the Cheatriots.

Meathead
02-04-2014, 05:12 PM
except that it is specifically stated in the rules that the taping of hand signals is illegal. the all22 or w/e tapes dont show them and there wouldnt be nearly enough pieces stolen from network broadcasts to be useful. so the only way to steal sideline signals is to either do it visually on the field or cheat by taping them yourself

the broncos just like everybody else know the qbs hand signals are a different story and need to be prepared for that. if what sherman says is true then really shame on the broncos

Meathead
02-04-2014, 05:16 PM
btw i also just recalled that they arent allowed to use recorded hand signals regardless of source, closing the fan contributed vids loophole. and making use of network captured pieces illegal anyway

stuckincincy
02-04-2014, 05:32 PM
btw i also just recalled that they arent allowed to use recorded hand signals regardless of source, closing the fan contributed vids loophole. and making use of network captured pieces illegal anyway

defenders needn't record them, just observe 'em, commit 'em to memory, and then discuss them in team meetings. simple.

SpikedLemonade
02-04-2014, 05:35 PM
I wish the Bills would start wanting to win enough by any means possible.

GvilleBills
02-04-2014, 05:46 PM

Wagon, I find myself agreeing with you often, but we disagree here. I feel this is no different than a DL noticing how an OL will have extra pressure on his down hand, showing run. Or noticing a OT might have his toe pointed a little more out than normal, showing pass.

Mace
02-04-2014, 07:06 PM
I don't really like it either Wagon, but they whaled the bejesus out of Denver, which had no defense or running game and sort of highlighted the all or nothing Peyton Manning offense theory. It's sort of amazing Eli and Archie don't tell him "look, they know you are gonna pass every play so don't". I sort of thought Denver would run more to throw them off, but even I knew what was going to happen every play, long-no, long-no, checkdown Welker, checkdown TE, checkdown back, gain of 2.

It really annoys me that all Seattle did was cover the receivers, but it really annoys me more that all Denver did was the same thing every play. It wasn't really so hard to "cheat" when it was so predictable.

WagonCircler
02-04-2014, 07:49 PM
Wagon, I find myself agreeing with you often, but we disagree here. I feel this is no different than a DL noticing how an OL will have extra pressure on his down hand, showing run. Or noticing a OT might have his toe pointed a little more out than normal, showing pass.

It might be because I'm a baseball guy. I see this situation differently. Stealing signals will get you hit with a bat, or a 95 MPH fastball.

I don't believe for a second that the defenders picked up on those hand signals without assistance, during the course of the game. And the assumption (not on your part) that the Seahawks would be able to get recorded footage of every Manning snap in this day and age is naive.

I see this as exactly the same as what the Cheatriots did.

WagonCircler
02-04-2014, 07:52 PM
I don't really like it either Wagon, but they whaled the bejesus out of Denver, which had no defense or running game and sort of highlighted the all or nothing Peyton Manning offense theory. It's sort of amazing Eli and Archie don't tell him "look, they know you are gonna pass every play so don't". I sort of thought Denver would run more to throw them off, but even I knew what was going to happen every play, long-no, long-no, checkdown Welker, checkdown TE, checkdown back, gain of 2.

It really annoys me that all Seattle did was cover the receivers, but it really annoys me more that all Denver did was the same thing every play. It wasn't really so hard to "cheat" when it was so predictable.

The Seahawks Defense whaled the begeezes out of Denver, which had no Offense or running game because the Defense knew every play in advance.

The Broncos got into a hole very quickly, thanks to some turnovers that were quite possibly caused with the aid of the advance knowledge of the plays.

Something just rings very true about this, in retrospect.

TigerJ
02-04-2014, 08:12 PM
If technology other than what is generally available was not used, then I'm OK with it. That is, if they just looked at video that is typically provided so teams can prepare, they didn't break any rules as far as I'm concerned. If they planted a bug and a spy camera at the Broncos' practice facility, then we have a problem.

DynaPaul
02-04-2014, 08:28 PM
Totally not the same as the Patriots. They used recordings of both on the field video tapes and what the NFL provides every team to figure out every play. If the Broncos didn't change up their signals then that was just stupid as most teams can figure out signals and audibles through film study.

Mace
02-04-2014, 08:30 PM
The Seahawks Defense whaled the begeezes out of Denver, which had no Offense or running game because the Defense knew every play in advance.

The Broncos got into a hole very quickly, thanks to some turnovers that were quite possibly caused with the aid of the advance knowledge of the plays.

Something just rings very true about this, in retrospect.

I really don't know Wagon. Denver looked really Denver to me and Seattle, though they aggravate me looked really Seattle. You have to admit you knew what they were going to do every play, and the Seattle offense still rolled up more yards anyway on the Denver D.

The Denver O was REALLY going to work or really NOT work, because their D was only going to do well if Seattle made the mistakes they just didn't make, and honestly, Denver just doesn't have a real running game, it's all Peyton and everyone including the Seahawks sort of knew it.

43-8 isn't so thought provoking as 10-7, Seattle rolled them like a joint at a Colorado pot store. Like a breakfast burrito at McDonalds, like a cigar at a Cuban plantation, like MaryAlice Demler in a pool of jello, astonished that I was jumping in to find the cigarettes she was sitting on because I tried to quit a week ago and found her sitting in a pool of jello on a pack of cigarettes....

In any case, I forgot my point but you know you can't get around it.

Skooby
02-04-2014, 08:39 PM
I think Denver loses no matter if they did or didn't, Seattle looked hungry & Manning looked old.

Mace
02-04-2014, 08:46 PM
I think Denver loses no matter if they did or didn't, Seattle looked hungry & Manning looked old.

There is no place for reason on message boards, Baldwin, I mean MurrayDowntown. I myself refuse to be contradicted by myself even when proven correct no matter what I said, which was sometimes both viewpoints of arguments so flawed I had to choose them both.

But I agree, though I don't, and do.

Skooby
02-04-2014, 08:56 PM
There is no place for reason on message boards, Baldwin, I mean MurrayDowntown. I myself refuse to be contradicted by myself even when proven correct no matter what I said, which was sometimes both viewpoints of arguments so flawed I had to choose them both.

But I agree, though I don't, and do.

Somehow, I follow this.

OpIv37
02-04-2014, 09:00 PM
They didn't crack the code on the field. In fact, "they" likely didn't crack the code at all. Someone probably analyzed every hand signal of the Broncos' season on video.

Really not different from the Cheatriots.

uh, yeah, it is.

First, every team in the NFL has video of every other team while they're on the field. It's equal access and every team is allowed to review that footage equally. What the Patriots did was videotape the sidelines in direct violation of NFL rules.

Second, if the Broncos are dumb enough to go the whole season without changing their signals, they deserve to get them stolen.

Ingtar33
02-05-2014, 03:37 AM

You're stretching it.

Belicheck had a camera on the sidelines during the game recording the opposing sidelines and qb audibles. It was a realtime effort that explicitly violated league rules.

The seahawks watched the same game tapes everyone else sees; which is not a violation of league rules. This isn't the first time this has happened to Manning. Back when he was with the colts, the Raiders (i think? or was it the jets? i'm drawing a blank on that one) beat the colts down in a playoff game because they cracked manning's audibles the week before.

Another postseason the raiders were buzz-sawed in the superbowl by the Bucs... because they never changed their offensive audible or line-call lingo from the previous season when Chucky was their coach. Gruden apparently came into the defensive meeting the week before the superbowl and laid out the whole language of the raider's playbook.

swiper
02-05-2014, 05:00 AM
Not cheating. That's the risk Denver takes by deciding to use such signals.

YardRat
02-05-2014, 05:13 AM
This particular instance isn't cheating, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Seattle has skirted some rules of some kind somewhere...douchebag Carroll didn't end up back in the NFL because he was a choirboy at USC.

DraftBoy
02-05-2014, 06:45 AM
How do you suppose they cracked the code? You don't think it involved recording?

So watching game tape is now cheating? That's how they cracked it.

Almost every NFL team either employs or contracts out statistical analysis like this. They run the amount of plays (runs v. throws; left v. center v. right; etc) with their tendencies to know how to gameplan. Sometimes calls, or audibles get picked up, did you not notice that Peyton stopped saying Omaha after the AFC title game? Why do you think that is?

DraftBoy
02-05-2014, 06:49 AM
It might be because I'm a baseball guy. I see this situation differently. Stealing signals will get you hit with a bat, or a 95 MPH fastball.

I don't believe for a second that the defenders picked up on those hand signals without assistance, during the course of the game. And the assumption (not on your part) that the Seahawks would be able to get recorded footage of every Manning snap in this day and age is naive.

As a baseball guy then you know how often the signals from the base coaches and catchers get changed to ensure this doesn't happen.

swiper
02-05-2014, 07:07 AM
This particular instance isn't cheating, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that Seattle has skirted some rules of some kind somewhere...douchebag Carroll didn't end up back in the NFL because he was a choirboy at USC.

PEDs. To start.

http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/2014/01/super_bowl_2014_pete_carroll_addresses_drug_suspensions_with_seahawks.html

pmoon6
02-05-2014, 07:16 AM
PEDs. To start.

http://www.nj.com/super-bowl/index.ssf/2014/01/super_bowl_2014_pete_carroll_addresses_drug_suspensions_with_seahawks.htmlI wonder if they are going to go back and strip the '70's Steelers of their Super Bowls. Cocaine and amphetamines were part of their pregame meal. Same with the Redskins under George Allen.

Of course, all unsubstantiated rumors. Couldn't possibly be true.

swiper
02-05-2014, 07:47 AM
What's your point exactly?

pmoon6
02-05-2014, 07:55 AM
What's your point exactly?The point is pointing to PEDs as cheating is a joke. Athletes always look for an edge, whether to keep their job or get one if they're on the cusp of getting cut. Hell, teams used to knowingly provide them.

swiper
02-05-2014, 07:56 AM
The point is pointing to PEDs as cheating is a joke. Athletes always look for an edge, whether to keep their job or get one if they're on the cusp of getting cut. Hell, teams used to knowingly provide them.

Where you fall short, to me, are that the league has made PEDs illegal and test for it. That's not the case for the example you cited.

Uncle Jesse
02-05-2014, 07:57 AM
So watching game tape is now cheating? That's how they cracked it.

Almost every NFL team either employs or contracts out statistical analysis like this. They run the amount of plays (runs v. throws; left v. center v. right; etc) with their tendencies to know how to gameplan. Sometimes calls, or audibles get picked up, did you not notice that Peyton stopped saying Omaha after the AFC title game? Why do you think that is?

This.

It wasn't cheating at all, that's the point of watching GAME film...

jayhall93
02-05-2014, 09:12 AM
I've heard interviews with Dungy and Peyton both saying that the signals and checks get changed week to week- nothing was "cracked", Seahwaks just did what few are able to do - rock Peyton off his base. Get his happy feet moving and he's a different QB.

Beebe's Kid
02-05-2014, 09:35 AM
The point is pointing to PEDs as cheating is a joke. Athletes always look for an edge, whether to keep their job or get one if they're on the cusp of getting cut. Hell, teams used to knowingly provide them.

Ahhh...the point is pointing, and the performance enhancing are enhancing performance, and your internet tough-guy persona is probably getting real tiring to the dog, or else you are just an insufferable *******, and everybody in your life is used to it.

pmoon6
02-05-2014, 09:43 AM
Ahhh...the point is pointing, and the performance enhancing are enhancing performance, and your internet tough-guy persona is probably getting real tiring to the dog, or else you are just an insufferable *******, and everybody in your life is used to it.What asswipe? Where did this come from?

What's really tiring is half of you morons couldn't find your ass with two hands and a mirror.

TedMock
02-05-2014, 09:54 AM
Any coordinator who is not trying to decipher any and all tendencies, including unspoken signals, through film study and sideline/field observations is absolutely not doing their job. This is not cheating at any level.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-05-2014, 10:03 AM
Something that I don't think was mentioned is that a huge chunk, possibly even the majority, of what Manning barks at the line is complete BS. One of his tricks is to throw in a code word that tells the rest of his guys "Hey, the rest of this is garbage, I'm not actually changing the play. Act interested." If you crack that code, then the rest of it becomes much much easier.

Beyond that though, I wouldn't say that cracking the codes led to the turnovers, as was mentioned. His first pick happened because he wildly missed Thomas and hit Chancellor several yards behind him. If that was an accurate pass, it's a completion. His second pick happened because his arm got hit, and that happened because Cliff Avril was kicking his tackle's ass all night.