PDA

View Full Version : Stevie is staying.

better days
02-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Marrone sent Stevie a text saying all those STUPID rumors are not coming from him.

He told Stevie to not pay any attention to them & is looking for a healthy Stevie next season to help the Bills win.

People that want Stevie gone, TOO BAD for you.

sukie
02-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Head coach makes personel decisions?

The King
02-21-2014, 09:45 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/21/doug-marrone-wants-stevie-johnson-to-feel-wanted/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

In the wake of Chris Browns comments where the Bills staff has yet to be able to reel in Stevie, Marrone was faced with a question about the WR yesterday.

better days
02-21-2014, 09:48 AM
Head coach makes personel decisions?

YES, when it come to players under contract.

OpIv37
02-21-2014, 09:50 AM
For now we are stuck with him for cap reasons and because we don't have a better option. But I look forward to being able to move on without him. Like I've said before, the guy has talent but doesn't have his head in the game.

sukie
02-21-2014, 09:51 AM
I wouldn't give a rookie coach that kinda lattitude... Sniffs of failure.

JoeMama
02-21-2014, 09:53 AM

It's a good thing he's not a rookie anymore!

better days
02-21-2014, 09:55 AM

Well, in the first place Marrone is no longer a Rookie, he has a year under his belt.

In the 2nd place, the HC decides what players stay on a team & which players get cut. That goes for every team.

Of course there are a few exceptions to that rule, & the HC & GM work together in the best situations.

Marrone & Whaley are on the same page in Buffalo.

The King
02-21-2014, 09:56 AM
I don't want Stevie gone, I want him present. Mentally in a capacities of the game. He's his own worst enemy.

better days
02-21-2014, 09:58 AM
And Marrone gave the front office a very high recomendation on Byrd.

I expect him to be resigned.

sukie
02-21-2014, 09:58 AM
I want someone to be a real #1 on this team... it has been so long since we had one... (Lee wasn't a 1)

pmoon6
02-21-2014, 10:05 AM
I want someone to be a real #1 on this team... it has been so long since we had one... (Lee wasn't a 1)I'll ask again. What is this number 1 receiver BS? Is it some kind of pecking order for contract time or just some dumb **** fans and the media have in their head?

In a three wide set, you have an X,Y and Z receiver. They all have different jobs, run different patterns depending on the play. I see letters, not numbers.

OpIv37
02-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Marrone sent Stevie a text saying all those STUPID rumors are not coming from him.

He told Stevie to not pay any attention to them & is looking for a healthy Stevie next season to help the Bills win.

People that want Stevie gone, TOO BAD for you.
Too bad for Bills fans in general.

Look, I understand the reality that we can't get rid of Stevie right now. We don't have a better option, and his cap hit makes cutting him or trading him unreasonable. But we can't keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. We've seen what happens when we use Stevie as our #1 and it ain't pretty. This team will not win as long as they insist on relying on Stevie.

The King
02-21-2014, 10:13 AM
I'll ask again. What is this number 1 receiver BS? Is it some kind of pecking order for contract time or just some dumb **** fans and the media have in their head?

In a three wide set, you have an X,Y and Z receiver. They all have different jobs, run different patterns depending on the play. I see letters, not numbers.

You're nitpicking a bit. I think the term a WR1 comes from being a first read, the type of receiver that can beat one on one coverage and the type of player that can make play from the X, Y, and Z.

When I think of the best X, Y, Z receivers in modern years, I think you have to go all the way back to the best show on turf to have a truly defined group like that. Holt, Bruce and Hakim/Proehl.

SpikedLemonade
02-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Stevie is OK. He is just not good enough to be #1 WR on a play-off team, but we are not a play-off team.

When we are, he will be gone.

Stevie is popular with the fans and when you are "manufacturing sell outs" that is important.

JoeMama
02-21-2014, 10:28 AM
Stevie can be a diva (a frustrating eccentricity most WRs possess). He can be a little attention starved. He unloads a few too many public grievances for my liking. And he still has the unfortunate propensity to drop crucial passes late in the game.

But despite all that, he's a talented receiver and currently "the guy." Admittedly, he's probably better suited as a top flight #2 or at best a 1b.

Either way, I'm fine with having him ride out his contract here. He'll rebound from 2013 if EJ can get him the ball this time around.

Which would be nice.

pmoon6
02-21-2014, 10:29 AM
You're nitpicking a bit. I think the term a WR1 comes from being a first read, the type of receiver that can beat one on one coverage and the type of player that can make play from the X, Y, and Z.

When I think of the best X, Y, Z receivers in modern years, I think you have to go all the way back to the best show on turf to have a truly defined group like that. Holt, Bruce and Hakim/Proehl.OK. Did Seattle have a number 1 this year? Harvin was hurt most of the time. Denver? San Francisco? New England?

The answer is no. All those teams were effective because they spread the ball around to good receivers and the defense can't concentrate on one guy.

Steve Johnson, Woods, Goodwin can form a good group, but I would add one more in the draft or maybe try to pick up Decker in FA.

The King
02-21-2014, 10:36 AM
OK. Did Seattle have a number 1 this year? Harvin was hurt most of the time. Denver? San Francisco? New England?

The answer is no. All those teams were effective because they spread the ball around to good receivers and the defense can't concentrate on one guy.

Steve Johnson, Woods, Goodwin can form a good group, but I would add one more in the draft or maybe try to pick up Decker in FA.

Well of the teams you mentioned, I think Demarius Thomas might be the only undisputed #1, Crabtree also. But I think what people are clamoring for is the Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, Victor Cruz, Josh Gordon, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall type that can help a QB elevate his game.

Not every team has one, it's the equivalent to a franchise QB.

pmoon6
02-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Well of the teams you mentioned, I think Demarius Thomas might be the only undisputed #1, Crabtree also. But I think what people are clamoring for is the Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, Andre Johnson, Victor Cruz, Josh Gordon, AJ Green, Brandon Marshall type that can help a QB elevate his game.

Not every team has one, it's the equivalent to a franchise QB.Notice anything about all the receivers you mentioned?

Only one of their teams made the playoffs.

sukie
02-21-2014, 10:44 AM
When Defensive Coordinators give their secondary a week off when planning for a Bills matchup... There needs to be an upgrade which would be a #1

I want specialty players in all phases of the offense that are regularly selected inthe first 7 rounds of fantasy drafts all accross the nation. Not too much to ask.

The King
02-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Notice anything about all the receivers you mentioned?

Last year yes, but Fitz and Cruz have both played in Super Bowls, and all of them have played in the post season with the exception of Gordon. So let's not throw a blanket on the group.

pmoon6
02-21-2014, 10:50 AM
When Defensive Coordinators give their secondary a week off when planning for a Bills matchup... There needs to be an upgrade which would be a #1

I want specialty players in all phases of the offense that are regularly selected inthe first 7 rounds of fantasy drafts all accross the nation. Not too much to ask.OK, would you rather have an undisputed No. 1 that you pay 20 million a year and then the 3 lesser guys you can only pay 1 million or would you like 4 solid receivers you pay 5 million each?

IlluminatusUIUC
02-21-2014, 10:52 AM
Notice anything about all the receivers you mentioned?

That's if you exclude Thomas and Crabtree.

Or roll the clock back to 2012, when Thomas, Crabtree, Jones, Johnson, and Green were all in the playoffs and Marshall's team won 10 games but missed on tiebreakers.

What I disagree with is the idea that a #1 WR is "equivalent" to a franchise QB as The King said. A QB is still far more important. But a #1 wideout occupies one or even two of a defense's best players and gives the other guys much more favorable matchups.

pmoon6
02-21-2014, 10:53 AM
Last year yes, but Fitz and Cruz have both played in Super Bowls, and all of them have played in the post season with the exception of Gordon. So let's not throw a blanket on the group.Sorry, I don't mean to be contrary, I just noticed it when I looked at it.

Look, it would be great to have any of those guys. I just think having a group of good receivers is better than having one superstar.

pmoon6
02-21-2014, 10:58 AM

Or roll the clock back to 2012, when Thomas, Crabtree, Jones, Johnson, and Green were all in the playoffs and Marshall's team won 10 games but missed on tiebreakers.

What I disagree with is the idea that a #1 WR is "equivalent" to a franchise QB as The King said. A QB is still far more important. But a #1 wideout occupies one or even two of a defense's best players and gives the other guys much more favorable matchups.Demarius Thomas catches little crossing patterns and turns them into big gains because the Broncos are usually going 4 wide or even 5. Take away Manning and he's not all that. Crabtree isn't a guy that gets double covered every play either. I see far more times when Vernon Davis draws the double.

sukie
02-21-2014, 11:00 AM
OK, would you rather have an undisputed No. 1 that you pay 20 million a year and then the 3 lesser guys you can only pay 1 million or would you like 4 solid receivers you pay 5 million each?

I guess I just want a Reed Lofton Beebe... (Kicks dirt and pouts)

The King
02-21-2014, 11:15 AM
Sorry, I don't mean to be contrary, I just noticed it when I looked at it.

Look, it would be great to have any of those guys. I just think having a group of good receivers is better than having one superstar.

I don't disagree at all. But at the same point when you're stuck on this hamster wheel of below mediocrity it's hard not to press your nose against the glass and a say "I want that!".

I think people are just desperate for a game changer at any position. Someone to get us over the hump.

The King
02-21-2014, 11:16 AM

What I disagree with is the idea that a #1 WR is "equivalent" to a franchise QB as The King said. A QB is still far more important. But a #1 wideout occupies one or even two of a defense's best players and gives the other guys much more favorable matchups.

You misinterpreted what I meant. I was calling the term the same thing. Not the Value. It's the equivalent of a Franchise WR.

JoeMama
02-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Demarius Thomas catches little crossing patterns and turns them into big gains because the Broncos are usually going 4 wide or even 5. Take away Manning and he's not all that. Crabtree isn't a guy that gets double covered every play either. I see far more times when Vernon Davis draws the double.

Demarius Thomas is a legit #1.

He was great even before they signed Wes Welker and before Julius Thomas emerged at TE.

Also, the only flaw with your argument is you're referencing probowl QBs who can handle a life at the helm without a legit #1. Brady's a great example of that. I think this was his most impressive season since 70% of the receptions in 2012 were either cut loose, locked up, or injured for most of 2013.

EJ's not in the same league as the guys you mentioned. He's got many more strides to make before we can start comparing him to the four guys you mentioned.

SpikedLemonade
02-21-2014, 11:39 AM
I don't disagree at all. But at the same point when you're stuck on this hamster wheel of below mediocrity it's hard not to press your nose against the glass and a say "I want that!".

I think people are just desperate for a game changer at any position. Someone to get us over the hump.

I agree including the position of Owner.

justasportsfan
02-21-2014, 11:54 AM
Didn't think SJ was going anywhere anyways ...this year , but if the bills draft a wr with the 9th pick, his days are numbered.

pmoon6
02-21-2014, 12:52 PM
Demarius Thomas is a legit #1.

He was great even before they signed Wes Welker and before Julius Thomas emerged at TE.

Also, the only flaw with your argument is you're referencing probowl QBs who can handle a life at the helm without a legit #1. Brady's a great example of that. I think this was his most impressive season since 70% of the receptions in 2012 were either cut loose, locked up, or injured for most of 2013.

EJ's not in the same league as the guys you mentioned. He's got many more strides to make before we can start comparing him to the four guys you mentioned.I respectfully disagree with my esteemed young colleague. However, I have come to hate everything Broncos, so my view may be shaded by prejudice and vile bigotry.

Buuuuttt........we are back on QB now when the subject was WR. Sure, Great QB's make even mediocre WR's look good (i.e Alvin Harper, Fred Solomon, Dwight Clark). The reverse can be true also (Don Maynard, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Julio Jones, Roddy White, Andre Johnson)

Meathead
02-21-2014, 12:57 PM
after his infamous imagine what i could do if i worked out comment eyes were sorta on stevie last season to grow up and become a pro. on that front lets say stevie had mixed results. he had his moments where he appeared matured, then others where he regressed. so really now its become this is the season he must pull it together as a pro to stay anywhere near a wr1 status

i still think its quite possible they redo and extend his deal. hes gotta realize the pressure his contract puts them under, that hed likely never get it anywhere else, so why not push some of that into the future and just stay here as a terrific part of a tandem corp. him woods and goodwin is already a pretty good three set. they only need somebody to emerge somewhere or be drafted as another legit threat and they would have a pretty rock solid unit giggidy. stevie might love to be part of that here. personally i hope he does

JoeMama
02-21-2014, 01:08 PM
I respectfully disagree with my esteemed young colleague. However, I have come to hate everything Broncos, so my view may be shaded by prejudice and vile bigotry.

Buuuuttt........we are back on QB now when the subject was WR. Sure, Great QB's make even mediocre WR's look good (i.e Alvin Harper, Fred Solomon, Dwight Clark). The reverse can be true also (Don Maynard, John Stallworth, Lynn Swann, Julio Jones, Roddy White, Andre Johnson)

I love being prejudiced and bigoted toward other teams.

Hating on the Pats, Fins, and Jets goes without saying.

And some less obvious ones like the Steelers (the team that started our winless streak in the playoffs back in 1995), Titans (Music City Miracle), Raiders (fans), Eagles (fans), Seahawks (Carroll), Colts (so lucky to get Manning then Luck back to back), Cowboys (because everybody hates them), Redskins (Dan Snyder), and the Ravens (Art Modell).

If you feel the same way about the Broncos, hooray. A little ill will toward the rest of the league never killed anyone.

The Jokeman
02-21-2014, 01:16 PM

When I think of the best X, Y, Z receivers in modern years, I think you have to go all the way back to the best show on turf to have a truly defined group like that. Holt, Bruce and Hakim/Proehl.

Not sure the Patriots with Moss, Welker and Stallworth were pretty well defined. Heck even Denver's trio of Thomas, Decker and Welker were defined too.

pmoon6
02-21-2014, 02:49 PM

And some less obvious ones like the Steelers (the team that started our winless streak in the playoffs back in 1995), Titans (Music City Miracle), Raiders (fans), Eagles (fans), Seahawks (Carroll), Colts (so lucky to get Manning then Luck back to back), Cowboys (because everybody hates them), Redskins (Dan Snyder), and the Ravens (Art Modell).

If you feel the same way about the Broncos, hooray. A little ill will toward the rest of the league never killed anyone.Actually, I'm trying to find other teams that I like. I like the Texans because I lived there for 22 years and I liked their now departed coach and DC. (Kubiak is a Houston boy as well as Wade) Hmmm. I would like Arizona if they moved back to St. Louis, but I'll let them slide on that one. I do like Atlantia, just because it reminds of all the expatriate Buffalonians that live there. Chicago Bears and Cleveland Browns. I used to like New Orleans because it's a fantastic city, but Brees blew that when he fought to stop former NFL players from getting a raise on their pension.

Let me think....oh, I don't have hate for the Giants. They beat us fair and square.

Night Train
02-21-2014, 02:53 PM
If so, a TE like Ebron becomes a possibility, along with LB Mack, 3 OT's, DT Nix and more...Good value with lots of real options in Round 1 this year.

jimmifli
02-21-2014, 05:18 PM

If you feel the same way about the Broncos, hooray. A little ill will toward the rest of the league never killed anyone.
I've reached the point where I don't hate any teams. The only emotion football seems capable of making me feel is this:
http://i.imgur.com/Y1DB4.gif

pmoon6
02-21-2014, 05:39 PM
I've reached the point where I don't hate any teams. The only emotion football seems capable of making me feel is this:
http://i.imgur.com/Y1DB4.gifI guess "jaded" is the word then. Or reducing yourself to Internet images.

swiper
02-21-2014, 06:30 PM
Or reducing yourself to Internet images.

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t433/drulloch/WhaWha.gif

jimmifli
02-21-2014, 06:48 PM
I guess "jaded" is the word then. Or reducing yourself to Internet images.
It's not jaded.

NE made the playoffs again? sorrow
Manning took a new team to the Superbowl? sadness
Seattle turned around their franchise already? melancholy
Cleveland stole the only good coach we've had in half a decade? glum
Not making the playoffs for the 14th year in a row? crestfallen

JoeMama
02-21-2014, 06:59 PM
It's not jaded.

NE made the playoffs again? sorrow
Manning took a new team to the Superbowl? sadness
Seattle turned around their franchise already? melancholy
Cleveland stole the only good coach we've had in half a decade? glum
Not making the playoffs for the 14th year in a row? crestfallen

Wow you just covered the entire spectrum of a Smashing Pumpkins album.

OpIv37
02-21-2014, 07:00 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Y1DB4.gif

As a Bills fan, how do you even tolerate football without hating other teams? We are not going to win, so the only enjoyment is seeing teams we hate- like NE- lose.

Skooby
02-21-2014, 07:08 PM
As a Bills fan, how do you even tolerate football without hating other teams? We are not going to win, so the only enjoyment is seeing teams we hate- like NE- lose.

There's a level of satisfaction there but it's a empty victory. We need to field a team that handles their business & let the chips fall where they may, that starts with a healthy starting NFL QB. We better draft one this year because thus far, we're going straight towards 0 for 15 towards the playoffs, unless EJ stays healthy.

jimmifli
02-21-2014, 07:22 PM
I used to. I just can't muster any cares.

I don't watch the Bills live anymore, I rarely watch other games.

The only pleasure I get is from knowing that being a Bills fan is a sign of unquestionable character. Loyal to a fault.

JoeMama
02-21-2014, 07:27 PM

The only pleasure I get is from knowing that being a Bills fan is a sign of unquestionable character. Loyal to a fault.

It's a worthy trait.

Honor over happiness; the stuff heroes are made of.

beffalu bellz 4 lyfe!!!111

JoeMama
02-21-2014, 07:36 PM

DVR?

I still watch them live. Can't handle the anticipation of waiting til after the fact.

The only Bills game I intentionally turned off and walked away from in the past 18 years was sometime during Gailey's final season. Maybe the Seahawks game?

So I scooped up my dog and said "**** it, Ginjarz, let's go find a trail in the wilderness and go AWOL until it's dark out."

I forgot how pleasant Sundays can be when I don't spend them angrily brooding about the bitter defeat I just witnessed.

Still, I never learn from my lessons, so my ass is parked front and center before the altar of TV every Sunday at 1pm.

jimmifli
02-21-2014, 07:51 PM
DVR?

I still watch them live. Can't handle the anticipation of waiting til after the fact.

The only Bills game I intentionally turned off and walked away from in the past 18 years was sometime during Gailey's final season. Maybe the Seahawks game?

So I scooped up my dog and said "**** it, Ginjarz, let's go find a trail in the wilderness and go AWOL until it's dark out."

I forgot how pleasant Sundays can be when I don't spend them angrily brooding about the bitter defeat I just witnessed.

Still, I never learn from my lessons, so my ass is parked front and center before the altar of TV every Sunday at 1pm.
Gamepass. It's commercial free if I watch later in the day and I can skip half time.

It's amazing how much more fun my weekends are, I rarely think about the game and I do lots of fun things with my wife and daughter. Then I come home and watch my surrogate warriors.

That would probably change if we ever field a competitive team.

Mace
02-21-2014, 08:06 PM
I just find it comical that they were temporarily confused, blamed NBC I think I read, by something their own shill and employee, Chris Brown revealed.

Either Brown curiously decided to pretend to be a real reporter because he had an interview with ESPN or such, or he went and got overly full of himself forgetting they employ him, and they did too going after NBC or whoever.

Johnson himself ? No clue. QB didn't throw at him. He annoys me sometimes, but I remember him running around open waving his arms a lot last year. I'd probably be upset too. It's Marrones fault to begin with. They used Johnson in the slot, which means outlet receiver, and had no fallback experienced QB's being coached by no QB coach to teach them that, while evidently having a WR coach who had a different philosophy of how to wave your arms when you're open so the QB of the week can see you and not run, get sacked or throw behind the double covered guy.

Mouldsie
02-21-2014, 09:00 PM
Demarius Thomas catches little crossing patterns and turns them into big gains because the Broncos are usually going 4 wide or even 5. Take away Manning and he's not all that. Crabtree isn't a guy that gets double covered every play either. I see far more times when Vernon Davis draws the double.
This is insanity

Mouldsie
02-21-2014, 09:06 PM
OK. Did Seattle have a number 1 this year? Harvin was hurt most of the time. Denver? San Francisco? New England?

Speaking of Decker, the pundits say he will make $9-10 million per year on this next contract.

And people think Stevie is overpaid at 7m?

More insanity.

Skooby
02-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Speaking of Decker, the pundits say he will make $9-10 million per year on this next contract.

And people think Stevie is overpaid at 7m?

More insanity.

i know you might not believe me but the stats suggest the Bills as a whole are more successful passing when Stevie isn't playing but based on previous research it's the case. Will it be the case ongoing, I can't say but using history it's the case.

feldspar
02-22-2014, 04:14 AM
i know you might not believe me but the stats suggest the Bills as a whole are more successful passing when Stevie isn't playing but based on previous research it's the case. Will it be the case ongoing, I can't say but using history it's the case.

Show me the "previous research" please.

Skooby
02-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Show me the "previous research" please.

Sure thing, hit play:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/teen-records-man-exposing-himself-132025601.html

feldspar
02-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Sure thing, hit play:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/teen-records-man-exposing-himself-132025601.html

That's what I thought...you got nothing.

Stevie Johnson only missed 4 games in the past 4 years. All of them were last year. You may as well claim that previous research says that the Bills are a better team without Stevie AND Robert Woods, because we slaughtered the Jets when they were both out.

The Bills aren't a better team without Stevie on it, or have a better passing game. Don't be ridiculous. Even if the Bills go out and get somebody better, that's still true.

ServoBillieves
02-22-2014, 04:15 PM
That's what I thought...you got nothing.

Stevie Johnson only missed 4 games in the past 4 years. All of them were last year. You may as well claim that previous research says that the Bills are a better team without Stevie AND Robert Woods, because we slaughtered the Jets when they were both out.

The Bills aren't a better team without Stevie on it, or have a better passing game. Don't be ridiculous. Even if the Bills go out and get somebody better, that's still true.

/discussion