PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sam may go undrafted

DesertFox24
02-27-2014, 12:57 PM
I am sorry I find this a hysterical thought. Because he did not do well at the combine no one will draft the SEC def player of the year and one of the leading sack guys in the nation.

Look I dont think he is an athletic freak but if he is there in round 6 or 7 I hope the bills pull the trigger because if anything he will be a good special teams guy and a hustle guy.

No way in the world does that go undrafted because of the combine. The fact that these draftniks try and prop the combine up as some all important athletic test is a joke.

The only thing important about the combine is the stuff that is not shown on tv, medical, measurements, and interviews.

Trust me the other stuff has no barring on draft board rankings what so ever.

OLDSRIP
02-27-2014, 01:11 PM
I have a question about this guy. I haven't seen him play. I don't see much college football.

How is the SEC defensive player of the year only rated to be a 3rd or 4th rd. pick or worse?

Isn't the DEC defensive player of the year usually a stud?

jdaltroy5
02-27-2014, 01:16 PM
The combine definitely has a bearing on when certain players are drafted.

We've seen guys jump up the board based on raw athletic ability. Dontari Poe, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and Vernon Gholston come to mind just off the top of my head.

We took TJ Graham and Marquise Goodwin simply because they had great 40 times.

The combine definitely has a bearing on draft boards, even if it's to gain a scout's attention or to question a certain aspect of his game.

jdaltroy5
02-27-2014, 01:18 PM
I have a question about this guy. I haven't seen him play. I don't see much college football.

How is the SEC defensive player of the year only rated to be a 3rd or 4th rd. pick or worse?

Isn't the DEC defensive player of the year usually a stud?Same reason that some Heisman candidates aren't drafted that highly.

Sometimes their game just doesn't translate that well to the pros.

Apparently, he racked up a lot of his sacks against inferior competition and he's more a 'tweener.

OLDSRIP
02-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Thanks, makes sense.

Since I don't watch college to often, I have no idea who he's playing against or anything like that.

But when I hear SEC I think of top quality football. But being a tweeter makes it understandable
We have all seen to many college pass rushers flame out in the NFL. Aaron Maybin as a example.

Uncle Jesse
02-27-2014, 01:53 PM

Isn't the DEC defensive player of the year usually a stud?

The same reasons Heisman winners like Tebow and Jason White are useless in the NFL.

Downinfloflo
02-27-2014, 01:57 PM
The Stress of the Combine with all the press following him around because he's gay could have had an affect on his performance.

His PRO day is going to determine the round he get's drafted.

Same thing happened last year to Tao..He crapped the bed at the Combine but made up some ground at his pro day.

DesertFox24
02-27-2014, 04:50 PM
The combine definitely has a bearing on when certain players are drafted.

We've seen guys jump up the board based on raw athletic ability. Dontari Poe, Darrius Heyward-Bey, and Vernon Gholston come to mind just off the top of my head.

We took TJ Graham and Marquise Goodwin simply because they had great 40 times.

The combine definitely has a bearing on draft boards, even if it's to gain a scout's attention or to question a certain aspect of his game.

I dont agree with this at all. The bills knew they were fast before the combine because they ran a 4.2x and a 4.3x at the combine did not move them up our boards.

I hope and pray the bills front office does not move guys up and down based on their combine test numbers.

I have no problem removing guys if they dont fit your height weight deal, but because player x was a third rounder before combine and now is a second rounder based on 40 and athletic test is dumb.

You rate the players off their tape.

You remove guys from the board based on medical and interviews not athletic measurables.

Plenty of guys have been HOFs with terrible combines and just because someone blows the combine does not mean a darn thing.

BillsFever21
02-27-2014, 04:55 PM
He was only considered a 4th round pick at best before the combine and all the the circus that's following him around. Just because he was the SEC DPOY doesn't guarantee that he is a great fit at the professional level. Does that mean he is a better pass rusher then Clowney? With that logic it would be.

Many of them sacks can come against inferior OL that won't even be in the NFL. That and if you have other good players around you then it can set you up for more success. If all you are going by are stats then the QB's for Hawaill should be high draft picks every year during the early 2000's.

Many players put up huge numbers in college sports. Your game just may not translate to the NFL level of competition as others do. Either that or many of them stats are being put up against future burger flippers.

jdaltroy5
02-27-2014, 05:08 PM
I dont agree with this at all. The bills knew they were fast before the combine because they ran a 4.2x and a 4.3x at the combine did not move them up our boards.

I hope and pray the bills front office does not move guys up and down based on their combine test numbers.

I have no problem removing guys if they dont fit your height weight deal, but because player x was a third rounder before combine and now is a second rounder based on 40 and athletic test is dumb.

You remove guys from the board based on medical and interviews not athletic measurables.

Plenty of guys have been HOFs with terrible combines and just because someone blows the combine does not mean a darn thing.It's not dumb.

You take everything into account when evaluating a player. I completely agree that the game tape is by far the most important asset in evaluating a player, but coaches love a dominating physical specimen.

They look at that raw athletic ability and think that they can mould him into something special.

It happens every year.

feldspar
02-27-2014, 05:23 PM
...because he's gay.

The only reason people talk about him is because he's gay.

Then they'll tell you that it doesn't matter that he's gay, but if he wasn't, they wouldn't be talking about him at all, really.

swiper
02-27-2014, 06:11 PM

Plenty of guys have been HOFs with terrible combines and just because someone blows the combine does not mean a darn thing.

What don't you get? The combine bore out the fact that Michael Sam just isn't a good athlete.

The fact is he probably knew his draft status would drop when he decided to come out - and he did just to give himself name recognition so maybe some team would feel sorry for him and draft him in the 7th.

IlluminatusUIUC
02-27-2014, 06:13 PM
He was only considered a 4th round pick at best before the combine and all the the circus that's following him around. Just because he was the SEC DPOY doesn't guarantee that he is a great fit at the professional level. Does that mean he is a better pass rusher then Clowney? With that logic it would be.

Many of them sacks can come against inferior OL that won't even be in the NFL. That and if you have other good players around you then it can set you up for more success. If all you are going by are stats then the QB's for Hawaill should be high draft picks every year during the early 2000's.

Many players put up huge numbers in college sports. Your game just may not translate to the NFL level of competition as others do. Either that or many of them stats are being put up against future burger flippers.

If those guys were putting up those numbers in the SEC, you'd better believe they'd be high draft picks.

Numbers aren't useless for draft purposes but they do need context. Russell Wilson's numbers from Wisconsin translated because it was an NFL offense with an NFL sized OL. Bradford's didn't because he came from a shotgun spread offense that helps people put up video game stats.

- - - Updated - - -

What don't you get? The combine bore out the fact that Michael Sam just isn't a good athlete.

The fact is he probably knew his draft status would drop when he decided to come out - and he did just to give himself name recognition so maybe some team would feel sorry for him and draft him in the 7th.

He knew his homosexuality would come out in the combine process regardless, so he got out ahead of the story.

The Jokeman
02-27-2014, 06:20 PM
The Stress of the Combine with all the press following him around because he's gay could have had an affect on his performance.

His PRO day is going to determine the round he get's drafted.

Same thing happened last year to Tao..He crapped the bed at the Combine but made up some ground at his pro day.

Even if he runs another 4.9 forty some team will draft him in the late rounds as no matter what you think publicity always helps teams. I could see him going to a team like the Jets, Cowboys or maybe even the Redskins or any insert media w_ore team name here. Or maybe even Belechick will take him because he seems to always end up getting talented guys that the rest of the league seems to want to stay away from.

BillsFever21
02-27-2014, 06:24 PM
If those guys were putting up those numbers in the SEC, you'd better believe they'd be high draft picks.

Numbers aren't useless for draft purposes but they do need context. Russell Wilson's numbers from Wisconsin translated because it was an NFL offense with an NFL sized OL. Bradford's didn't because he came from a shotgun spread offense that helps people put up video game stats.

- - - Updated - - -

He knew his homosexuality would come out in the combine process regardless, so he got out ahead of the story.

I never said that stats didn't matter at all but that you just can't look at stats and call a player good because of it.

BertSquirtgum
02-27-2014, 06:41 PM
He won't get drafted because the dumb ass proclaimed to the world that he is gay. What a moron.

BillsImpossible
02-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Same reason that some Heisman candidates aren't drafted that highly.

Sometimes their game just doesn't translate that well to the pros.

Apparently, he racked up a lot of his sacks against inferior competition and he's more a 'tweener.

'Inferior competition?' Are you serious?

He played in the SEC and dominated his, 'inferior competition.'

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/miss-m-footbl-sched-2013.html

Oklahoma State is not inferior competition.

Auburn is not inferior competition.

Texas A&M is not inferior competition.

Ole Miss, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt, and Arkansas State?

I wouldn't call that inferior competition.

Watch the game tape: My first impression of him was Ray Lewis and you can see it in the first minute below.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2DrIN0b25OI?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YardRat
02-27-2014, 07:11 PM
Yeah, SEC defensive player of the year pretty much guarantees being drafted, somewhere.

Downinfloflo
02-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Even if he runs another 4.9 forty some team will draft him in the late rounds as no matter what you think publicity always helps teams. I could see him going to a team like the Jets, Cowboys or maybe even the Redskins or any insert media w_ore team name here. Or maybe even Belechick will take him because he seems to always end up getting talented guys that the rest of the league seems to want to stay away from.

Oh I agree, If he's still around late in the draft, I would hope the Bills take him, Even if it is just for the free publicity that comes with him.

The Bills are a NFL franchise that never gets any type of national exposure.Most of the country don't even know who/what the Buffalo Bills even are.

Scumbag College
02-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Any team that drafts him has a media circus from Day 1 as well as a problem with at least a few meathead teammates. I agree with The Jokeman that a team that is used to the media frenzy anyways would have to take him, because he is going to attract a great deal of attention during training camp and early on in the season.

jdaltroy5
02-27-2014, 07:31 PM
'Inferior competition?' Are you serious?

He played in the SEC and dominated his, 'inferior competition.'

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/miss-m-footbl-sched-2013.html

Oklahoma State is not inferior competition.

Auburn is not inferior competition.

Texas A&M is not inferior competition.

Ole Miss, Kentucky, Tennessee, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Vanderbilt, and Arkansas State?

I wouldn't call that inferior competition.

Watch the game tape: My first impression of him was Ray Lewis and you can see it in the first minute below.

I'm not going to proclaim to know much about him.

All I can say is that by his game logs, he racked up 9 of his sacks against Arkansas State, Vanderbilt, and Florida. Only one of those teams was ranked by the end of the year(#24 Vanderbilt, who racked up a bunch of wins against crappy teams).

BillsImpossible
02-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Oh I agree, If he's still around late in the draft, I would hope the Bills take him, Even if it is just for the free publicity that comes with him.

The Bills are a NFL franchise that never gets any type of national exposure.Most of the country don't even know who/what the Buffalo Bills even are.

Oh come on, floflo...don't be so negative like that. That's not true. The Detroit Lions have sucked since I was born, but I still know they exist. I still remember Barry Sanders and Wayne Fontes. But I know what you mean.

If the Bills drafted Sam it wouldn't be a big story, but if the Cowboys drafted Sam, ESPN would give him the Tebow treatment.

That is called a double standard.

GingerP
02-27-2014, 07:38 PM
He probably will put up better numbers at his Pro Day. Personally, the 40-time is overrated. Terrell Suggs ran a 4.85. The other numbers are more of an issue. He was sub-par in the bench press, showing he needs ot get stronger. His vertical jump and shuttle times weren't good for the position. He showed a lack of explosion. I think he still gets drafted, but probably 6th-7th round.

He was a good college player, but he is not a LB. He is going to have to play DE, and he is small for that position. He will have to earn his keep as a pass-rusher and ST player. If he bulks up he might have a chance, like Trent Cole or Elvis Dumervil. Those are his models as a player.

BillsImpossible
02-27-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm not going to proclaim to know much about him.

All I can say is that by his game logs, he racked up 9 of his sacks against Arkansas State, Vanderbilt, and Florida. Only one of those teams was ranked by the end of the year(#24 Vanderbilt, who racked up a bunch of wins against crappy teams).

You forgot to mention South Carolina.

Sam had 5 solo tackles and 1 sack against the 4th ranked college team in the nation.

Novacane
02-27-2014, 07:55 PM
He probably will put up better numbers at his Pro Day. Personally, the 40-time is overrated. Terrell Suggs ran a 4.85. The other numbers are more of an issue. He was sub-par in the bench press, showing he needs ot get stronger. His vertical jump and shuttle times weren't good for the position. He showed a lack of explosion. I think he still gets drafted, but probably 6th-7th round.

He was a good college player, but he is not a LB. He is going to have to play DE, and he is small for that position. He will have to earn his keep as a pass-rusher and ST player. If he bulks up he might have a chance, like Trent Cole or Elvis Dumervil. Those are his models as a player.

Sounds like he sucks but we already knew that.

BillsImpossible
02-27-2014, 08:00 PM
Sounds like he sucks but we already knew that.

"Deep Thoughts," by Jack Handy.

Meathead
02-27-2014, 08:04 PM
actually based on what happened in arizona i think he does get drafted. prior to that i figured the nfl was still too stodgy to take the risk on a guy who is probably a borderline nfler. but after the stand they appeared to take on the ridiculous dont serve gays bill maybe they are. or at least maybe they recognize its good marketing. in any event i suspect he does get taken somewhere

jdaltroy5
02-27-2014, 08:15 PM
You forgot to mention South Carolina.

Sam had 5 solo tackles and 1 sack against the 4th ranked college team in the nation.Sure, I'm not saying he's a bad player at all.

I'm just saying the reason that he won SEC DPOY was because he racked up a lot of sacks against inferior teams.

Unless you think he won based on his SC game?

BillsImpossible
02-27-2014, 08:29 PM
If practically every single NFL scout didn't already know Michael Sam was gay over a year ago, he would be a first round draft pick.

Overall, Khalil Mack played against inferior talent compared to Michael Sam.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-13/mid-amer/2013-buffalo-bulls-football-schedule.php

feldspar
02-27-2014, 09:07 PM
If practically every single NFL scout didn't already know Michael Sam was gay over a year ago, he would be a first round draft pick.

Check your head.

BillsFever21
02-27-2014, 09:12 PM

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-13/mid-amer/2013-buffalo-bulls-football-schedule.php

Do you a hard on for this guy or something? Not literally but just figuratively speaking.

If he would've never announced he was gay you wouldn't even think of him as a first round pick.

Tatonka
02-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Wait.. Michael Sam is gay? **** i hadn't heard.

Downinfloflo
02-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Oh come on, floflo...don't be so negative like that. That's not true. The Detroit Lions have sucked since I was born, but I still know they exist. I still remember Barry Sanders and Wayne Fontes. But I know what you mean.

If the Bills drafted Sam it wouldn't be a big story, but if the Cowboys drafted Sam, ESPN would give him the Tebow treatment.

That is called a double standard.

Someone who don't watch Football (Or just casual fans) knows who the Dallas Cowboys are, The majority have no idea who the Buffalo Bills are.

When I wear one of my Bills jerseys here in SWFL, A **** load of people ask me what team is that?? And when I tell them, Their like who?? LOL

It's not me being negative, It's reality.

Mouldsie
02-28-2014, 12:07 AM

The problem with this argument is that the tape shows Mack has a superior array of tools at his disposal, was the focal point of opposing offenses, and a superior and more willing run stuffer. Sam was not even the biggest pass rushing threat on his own team which left him with a lot more 1 on 1's (which he took advantage of like a good player should do).

If Sam makes it in this league it will need to be as a 3rd down specialist and special teams player. He's got a great initial burst and edge rush but he lacks counter moves or great power and he's too stiff to play in coverage. The Bills wouldn't need that until very late in the draft if it presented itself because he would essentially be a poor mans Jerry Hughes

jimmifli
02-28-2014, 12:14 AM
The problem with this argument is that the tape shows Mack has a superior array of tools at his disposal, was the focal point of opposing offenses, and a superior and more willing run stuffer. Sam was not even the biggest pass rushing threat on his own team which left him with a lot more 1 on 1's (which he took advantage of like a good player should do).

If Sam makes it in this league it will need to be as a 3rd down specialist and special teams player. He's got a great initial burst and edge rush but he lacks counter moves or great power and he's too stiff to play in coverage. The Bills wouldn't need that until very late in the draft if it presented itself because he would essentially be a poor mans Jerry Hughes
Jerry Hughes is a poor mans Jerry Hughes.

Night Train
02-28-2014, 03:55 AM
He's a designated pass rusher and ST's ace. Not many snaps. 5th-7th round on Saturday.

better days
02-28-2014, 08:50 AM

Overall Khilil Mack has MUCH MORE talent than Michael Sam.

That is why Mack will be drafted HIGH in the FIRST RND while Sam will be drafted LOW if at all.

DesertFox24
02-28-2014, 09:17 AM
It's not dumb.

You take everything into account when evaluating a player. I completely agree that the game tape is by far the most important asset in evaluating a player, but coaches love a dominating physical specimen.

They look at that raw athletic ability and think that they can mould him into something special.

It happens every year.

I agree it happens every year and I hope the bills do not draft that way because those POTENTIAL guys more times than not do not pan out. Now I am all for drafting a potential guy in rounds 4 or later, but in the first three rounds you need to find two starters and a good role player.

Bill Cody
02-28-2014, 09:36 AM

So the scouts would ignore that he just flunked the combine? I think not. After that performance they have to be thinking too small for DE, too slow for LB. I think his production will get him drafted late but if his pro day is as bad as the combine maybe not.

TigerJ
02-28-2014, 10:12 AM
His coming out definitely muddied the water. Here we've got a player who was great in college, ran a 40 at the combine that generally ranked him with undrafted types. I don't think that GMs will be "shamed" into drafting him. The fact that there are 32 teams that could draft him will tend to protect individual teams from charges of discrimination, but it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Vontaze Burfict certainly proved that sometimes the measurables don't matter. It really will all likely come down to film study and interviews as to whether or not he's drafted, and if so what round. That is as is should be.

stuckincincy
02-28-2014, 03:16 PM
His coming out definitely muddied the water. Here we've got a player who was great in college, ran a 40 at the combine that generally ranked him with undrafted types. I don't think that GMs will be "shamed" into drafting him. The fact that there are 32 teams that could draft him will tend to protect individual teams from charges of discrimination, but it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. Vontaze Burfict certainly proved that sometimes the measurables don't matter. It really will all likely come down to film study and interviews as to whether or not he's drafted, and if so what round. That is as is should be.

AFAIK, his combine numbers were very poor. He was invited to the Combine simply because he said he was a homosexual, and so it was expedient for the media to make a (profitable) issue of him. What a cruel, craven thing to do to this young lad...

IlluminatusUIUC
02-28-2014, 04:42 PM
AFAIK, his combine numbers were very poor. He was invited to the Combine simply because he said he was a homosexual, and so it was expedient for the media to make a (profitable) issue of him. What a cruel, craven thing to do to this young lad...

This is bull****, of course, but that's not going to stop people from repeating it.

YardRat
02-28-2014, 07:05 PM
Yeah, pretty sure the SEC DPOTY had more to do with his invite than his sexual preference.

BillsImpossible
02-28-2014, 07:29 PM
I wonder what Fred Jackson thinks of the NFL Combine?

GingerP
02-28-2014, 07:55 PM

He was invited to the combine long before he came out, so I'm not sure how you make that assumption.

Senior invites for the combine, 250 total, are sent out by the first week of January for players not in postseason bowl games. Underclassmen have until Jan 15th to declare for the draft, and until Jan 18th to rescind that declaration. Once that list is finalized, they invite the remaining players the following week. This year, there were 335 players invited to the combine.

So, Sam would have received his invite in that 2nd round of invitations, since Missouri played in the Cotton Bowl. He likely knew he was going to the combine by Feb 1. He came out on Feb 9, so there was no way his invitation could depend on his being the first player to openly declare being gay.

Of course, he would have been invited anyway since he was one of the best defensive players in the top conference in college football. If that doesn't make him one of the 335 guys most likely to be invited to the combine, I'm not sure what does.

BillsImpossible
02-28-2014, 08:29 PM
I can care less if the dude likes to smoke ****, all I really care about is his ability to make opposing quarterbacks his *****.

One of Sam's best performances came against the 4th ranked South Carolina Gamecocks.

No pun intended. The dude can play football. Ray Lewis was slow, but come game time he played big.

I have no problem what so ever with gay people because my brother is gay, served in the Marine Corps, chews Copenhagen dip, doesn't act like the guy from Will and Grace, he's a huge Bills fan and he loves this country so much he was willing to die for it.

My, 'homo,' brother has bigger balls than I do. He knows how to shoot an M-16, graduated as an, "Expert Rifleman," from Paris Island and is still serving America today.

He said to me, "You wouldn't believe how many gay people are in the Navy."

lol

I can care less. All I care about is their ability to do their job.

Novacane
03-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Do you a hard on for this guy or something? Not literally but just figuratively speaking.

If he would've never announced he was gay you wouldn't even think of him as a first round pick.

He would of never even known who he was.

Novacane
03-01-2014, 07:13 AM
I can care less if the dude likes to smoke ****, all I really care about is his ability to make opposing quarterbacks his *****.

One of Sam's best performances came against the 4th ranked South Carolina Gamecocks.

No pun intended. The dude can play football. Ray Lewis was slow, but come game time he played big.

I have no problem what so ever with gay people because my brother is gay, served in the Marine Corps, chews Copenhagen dip, doesn't act like the guy from Will and Grace, he's a huge Bills fan and he loves this country so much he was willing to die for it.

My, 'homo,' brother has bigger balls than I do. He knows how to shoot an M-16, graduated as an, "Expert Rifleman," from Paris Island and is still serving America today.

He said to me, "You wouldn't believe how many gay people are in the Navy."

lol

I can care less. All I care about is their ability to do their job.

Aaron Maybin made QB's his ***** in college.