• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Mark Gaughan cap article

Some interesting bullet points...

Said Bills General Manager Doug Whaley: “We’re going to try to go after all our free agents that we have out there. Again, that all depends on what they perceive their value is compared to us, and we have a priority list, and we’ll go down that priority list. Either check them off or scratch them off. And we’ll just keep going down until we used up all our cap space and fulfill the needs that we have and hopefully get better as a team.”

While the league-wide, base-cap figure will be $133 million, the Bills’ “adjusted” cap is going to be about $150.8 million. That’s because the Bills had $17.8 million in unused space left over from last year’s cap that they were allowed to “roll over” into this year’s cap. Teams can roll over all or part of the left-over space. The Bills informed the league they were rolling over all of it, a league source confirmed. Why did they have so much space left over? They had rolled over extra space from the previous year, too (about $10 million). Rolling over space is a convenient and beneficial way to manage the cap and give a team more spending flexibility. The league average that was rolled over for 2014 was just over $6 million per team, according to the players’ union.

Teams are required to spend a minimum amount against the cap, under the terms of the CBA. For a four-year period from 2013 to 2016, each team must use up at least 89 percent of the league-wide cap space (not the team’s adjusted cap space). The Bills used up 94 percent of the base cap space in 2013 and already are at 94 percent this year.

How do the Bills stand in real cash spending? In 2013, it’s believed they were between 16th and 20th in the league. In 2012, they were third in the league, according to ESPN senior writer John Clayton. Buffalo spent about $18 million over the cap in real cash that season. In 2011, they were about 16th. The Bills are slightly over the cap in cash spending since 2009.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • BidsJr
    • Sep 2002

Re: Mark Gaughan cap article

NO NO NO NO NO!

Ralph is cheap.
    "Well I drink too much and get punched in the head by fighters for fun, so my memory isn't so great." -OpIv37

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Mario gets paid almost $14M this year.

Who thinks he's worth that? He's still the highest paid defensive player in the league and next to worthless against the run.
      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
      Originally Posted by pmoon6
      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• jdaltroy5
        • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
        Mario gets paid almost $14M this year.

Who thinks he's worth that? He's still the highest paid defensive player in the league and next to worthless against the run.
        I don't know what you're watching, but he's actually very good against the run.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BidsJr View Post
          NO NO NO NO NO!

Ralph is cheap.
          Ralph is cheap. There is money he could spend that he isn't, and there has been going back at least 10 years. Where do you think all that rollover cap space comes from?
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Night Train
            Retired - On Several Levels
            • Jul 2005

In reading his article concerning upcoming contracts, I'd

1. Work on a new Aaron Williams contract now. He's a keeper.
            2. Let Hughes and Spiller play this year and see how much impact they have to determine their true worth. Spiller may be best used as a change of pace runner behind the starter and a part-time WR.
            3. Fred is going to be 33-34 after this season. He gets 1 year deals, if any. Reality is a new starting RB is coming.
            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

I like this part:

"The Bills have about $25 million in cap space with a week to go before the March 11 opening of the unrestricted free-agent shopping season, according to Buffalo News figures."

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by X-Era View Post
                I like this part:

"The Bills have about $25 million in cap space with a week to go before the March 11 opening of the unrestricted free-agent shopping season, according to Buffalo News figures."
                I wonder how much of that will be devoted to the rookie pool, tenders, and a pad for injuries during camp and the season? Given the small number of their own FAs, they shouldn't have to reserve much for tenders:

Scott Chandler, TE
                Thomas Welch, OT
                Alex Carrington, DE
                Arthur Moats, LB
                Jairus Byrd, S
                Jim Leonhard, S
                Dan Carpenter, K.

I'd guess that would eat up 13M or so, leaving 12 for street FAs and to sign some of their own non-FAs to future deals.
                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍