What do you think BUF will do to improve their run defense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

What do you think BUF will do to improve their run defense?

Mack? Another LB? A DE with run defense skills? A different strategy? - not sure about that...they've been fairly poor at it before Pettine.
    Last edited by stuckincincy; 03-03-2014, 10:24 AM.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

Re: What do you think BUF will do to improve their run defense?

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Mack? Another LB? A DE with run defense skills? A different strategy? - not sure about that...they've been fairly poor at it before Pettine.

IMO they'll deemphasize the passing D and this absurd overemphasis on sacks.

Sacks and pass pressure are fine, but if you allow every team that has second-rate RBs to log 200 rushing yards, or close to it, it's a one-step-forward, two-steps-backwards approach.

Sacks will end up being down again next season and everyone will be crying the blues because Pettine left when that wasn't a bad thing.

Mario sucks against the run, we have no LBs that excel against it. Alonso was very very good in his rookie season, but he's the only LB we have that's any good against the run.

We logged a lot of sacks this season, but in most games where we got them against good QBs, those teams had no trouble scoring anyway and beat us. So how much value many of those sacks actually were is entirely up for debate. One must consider the entire D, not merely one aspect of it like the FO and Pettine did last year. They told us that that's what they were going to do tho, I suppose that they just didn't mention that it would be at the expense of the run D, although I doubt that they knew. They probably just figured, foolishly, that if the pass D improves the other aspects of the D must remain the same or improve too.

FWIW, we played only one team that featured a RB among the top 16 yardage RBs this season. Imagine if we had played a bunch of teams with top RBs.

As to the Draft, who knows, but I once again expect the team to reach for a pick like they usually have in recent Drafts. Maybin, Spiller, Manuel, McKelvin in four of the last six, four of which Whaley was here for.
    Last edited by Fletch; 03-03-2014, 10:48 AM.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• EDS
      • Jan 2003

I think over emphasizing one aspect of the defense is bad unless you know exactly what to expect from the offense. By way of example, if the Bills had Payton Manning or Drew Brees at QB and you KNOW you can score points and will often play with a lead, then building the defense to stop the pass makes sense as teams will need to pass the ball to get back into the game.

since the Bills really do not know what they will get from their offense (if you are honest will yourself you have to admit there is a great deal of development still needed at QB, offensive coordinator, WR, etc.) they need to build a functionally sound defense across the board.

Personally, Idon't see them making many moves on the DL because they won't want to bench the guys they have given the investments they have in them. An all around playmaking ILB would make a lot of sense, particularly if they are kicking Kiko outside. Not sure where that guy is comng from though.

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Originally posted by EDS View Post
        I think over emphasizing one aspect of the defense is bad unless you know exactly what to expect from the offense. By way of example, if the Bills had Payton Manning or Drew Brees at QB and you KNOW you can score points and will often play with a lead, then building the defense to stop the pass makes sense as teams will need to pass the ball to get back into the game.

since the Bills really do not know what they will get from their offense (if you are honest will yourself you have to admit there is a great deal of development still needed at QB, offensive coordinator, WR, etc.) they need to build a functionally sound defense across the board.

Personally, Idon't see them making many moves on the DL because they won't want to bench the guys they have given the investments they have in them. An all around playmaking ILB would make a lot of sense, particularly if they are kicking Kiko outside. Not sure where that guy is comng from though.
        They definitely need LB help, Kiko's the only average or better LB that they have.

As to your post, bravo! Now, are you an NFL GM? I doubt it or you wouldn't be posting here. Are you or were you ever an NFL HC, DC, or OC? I doubt it as well.

So how come you know this, but our crack FO and coaching staff didn't nor does?

See where I'm going here.
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

If the Schwartz " Wide 9 " is implemented, then 2 bigger ILB's who can fill the holes between the DE's and DT's are a must. Another big DT commanding a double team (Ted Washington type) next to Dareus would also help, like ND's Louis Nix.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
            If the Schwartz " Wide 9 " is implemented, then 2 bigger ILB's who can fill the holes between the DE's and DT's are a must. Another big DT commanding a double team (Ted Washington type) next to Dareus would also help, like ND's Louis Nix.
            I wouldn't be surprised if they turned an eye to a DT on day two. KW has had his health nicks and isn't getting any younger. DE, too.

Myself, I would have tested Byrd's mettle and sent him in time to time to see if he could stop the bleeding re run defense. If he balked, well, something would have been learned.
            Last edited by stuckincincy; 03-03-2014, 12:29 PM.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

I hope they sign Brandon Spikes and move Kiko to outside in the base D. Sign somebody like Cam Thomas in FA to replace KW and let Kyle spell him on obvious passing downs. Wouldn't hurt to spend a couple of draft picks on another ILB (Skov?) and DT (McCullers or Gaston).

The biggest issue with Buffalo's run defense is they are too light in the ass up the middle.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• EDS
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                I hope they sign Brandon Spikes and move Kiko to outside in the base D. Sign somebody like Cam Thomas in FA to replace KW and let Kyle spell him on obvious passing downs. Wouldn't hurt to spend a couple of draft picks on another ILB (Skov?) and DT (McCullers or Gaston).

The biggest issue with Buffalo's run defense is they are too light in the ass up the middle.
                I don't think it is a size issue. The Bills front 7 is much bigger than Seattle's front 7, by way of example:

Clemons: 254
                Mebane: 311
                McDaniel: 305
                Bennett: 274

Smith: 226
                Wagner: 241
                Irvin: 248

v.

Williams: 292
                Williams: 303
                Dareus: 331
                Branch: 325 (even Carrington is 300)

Lawson: 240
                Alonso: 238
                Bradham: 241

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I don't think it is a size issue. The Bills front 7 is much bigger than Seattle's front 7, by way of example:

v.

I should have been more specific, when I say 'light in the ass' I mean size AND strength. Both DT and MLB need guys that are able to lock on, stand up, and shed blockers instead of guessing and dodging to fill holes.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                    I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                    • Sep 2004

v.

Seattle D is young, sound, quick, smart and well coached ...... pretty close to what we have!
                    The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• more cowbell
                      • Apr 2006

They'll sign below average players and rely on late round draft picks to contribute.

#6-10Again
                      The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by The last buffalo fan View Post
                        Seattle D is young, sound, quick, smart and well coached ...... pretty close to what we have!
                        Very similar, except for the results on the field . . .

Comment

• l3ills
                          • Apr 2013

Mack out of UB. Please.
                          Check out my Band Bro.....

www.reverbnation.com/tyclock6

Comment

• jimmifli
                            • Nov 2006

We should release a few more of our good players.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                              Unreachable Douche
                              • Jul 2002

Move Kyle Williams to DE and get a bigger body at DT.

Comment

Working...
                              X