X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

For Us To Make the Playoffs We Must First Improve in the Division

To those arguing that Free Agency has been good for us, we must first realize that "improvement" is purely relative. While some argue as if all other teams remain the same during the offseason, the simple fact is that most teams change one way or another.

For us we first need to improve within the division. I borrowed the four teams' free-agency standings from Scout.com, here they are.

Who looks at this and truly believes that we've made progress against the other three AFCE teams, all of which posted better records and none of which had losing records like we have for nearly a decade. I'm not sure that all three other East teams won't post winning records this season. Clearly if that were to happen we wouldn't. But we were 3-3 in the division last year for half of our wins, I'm not sure we hit that divisional mark again.

Pos Pos
    Rank
    Rating Name Type Yr Ht/Wt College 2013 Team Signed Team
    K 8 3 Star Dan Carpenter UFA 6 -/- Montana Buffalo Buffalo
    TE NR NR Mike Caussin RFA 3 -/- James Madison Buffalo Buffalo
    TE 11 3 Star Scott Chandler UFA 7 -/- Iowa Buffalo Buffalo
    RB 18 2 Star Anthony Dixon UFA 4 6-0/233 Mississippi State San Francisco Buffalo
    CB 17 3 Star Corey Graham UFA 7 -/- New Hampshire Baltimore Buffalo
    WR NR NR Chris Hogan Fran. 2 -/- Monmouth (NJ) Buffalo Buffalo
    OLB NR NR Keith Rivers UFA 5 6-2/235 USC NY Giants Buffalo
    CB NR NR Brandon Smith UFA 1 -/- Arizona State Buffalo Buffalo
    MLB 2 4 Star Brandon Spikes UFA 4 6-5/250 Florida New England Buffalo
    OG 16 2 Star Chris Williams UFA 6 -/- Vanderbilt St. Louis Buffalo

Pos Pos
    Rank
    OT 2 5 Star Branden Albert UFA 6 6-5/316 Virginia Kansas City Miami
    S 8 3 Star Louis Delmas UFA 5 5-11/202 Western Michigan Detroit Miami
    CB 15 4 Star Cortland Finnegan UFA 8 -/- Samford St. Louis Miami
    CB 8 4 Star Brent Grimes UFA 7 5-10/183 Shippensburg (PA) Miami Miami
    DT 15 3 Star Earl Mitchell UFA 4 -/- Arizona Houston Miami
    OG 7 3 Star Shelley Smith UFA 3 -/- Colorado State St. Louis Miami
    DT 1 5 Star Randy Starks UFA 10 6-3/305 Maryland Miami Miami

Pos Pos
    Rank
    CB 20 3 Star Brandon Browner UFA 5 -/- Oregon State Seattle New England
    WR 5 4 Star Julian Edelman UFA 5 5-10/200 Kent State New England New England
    TE 21 3 Star Michael Hoomanawanui UFA 4 6-4/263 Illinois New England New England
    WR 19 3 Star Brandon LaFell UFA 4 6-2/211 LSU Carolina New England
    CB 1 5 Star Darrelle Revis UFA 7 5-11/198 Pittsburgh Tampa Bay New England

Pos Pos
    Rank
    OG 8 3 Star Willie Colon UFA 8 -/- Hofstra NY Jets NY Jets
    TE 22 3 Star Jeff Cumberland UFA 4 6-4/260 Illinois NY Jets NY Jets
    DE NR NR Jermaine Cunningham 4 -/- Florida San Francisco NY Jets
    WR 1 5 Star Eric Decker UFA 4 -/- Minnesota Denver NY Jets
    DT NR NR Leger Douzable UFA 5 -/- UCF NY Jets NY Jets
    K 4 4 Star Nick Folk Fran. 7 6-1/222 Arizona NY Jets NY Jets
    OT 8 4 Star Breno Giacomini UFA 6 6-7/318 Louisville Seattle NY Jets
    CB NR NR Ellis Lankster UFA 4 5-9/190 West Virginia NY Jets NY Jets
    OLB 5 3 Star Calvin Pace UFA 11 6-4/270 Wake Forest NY Jets NY Jets
    CB 40 2 Star Johnny Patrick UFA 3 5-11/190 Louisville San Diego NY Jets
    QB 3 3 Star Michael Vick UFA 12 6-0/215 Virginia Tech Philadelphia NY Jets
    CB 36 2 Star Darrin Walls RFA 2 -/- Notre Dame NY Jets NY Jets
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

• better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: For Us To Make the Playoffs We Must First Improve in the Division

Show us the players lost by each team as well.

That is also needed to make a fair comparison.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post

Well, we lost Byrd and obviously he's better than all of the other team's losses combined.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Swiper
        • Sep 2010

LOL. The original post is stupid on so many levels.

Not to mention the source he sites says Eric Decker is a "5 star" signing? LOL. He will do less than Holmes in NY. He was purely a product of who was throwing to him.

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

one word: edmilson junipero
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Luisito23
            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
            • Apr 2003

In order for us to improve in the division, 3 other teams would have to forfeit the season.
            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• sudzy
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Luisito23 View Post
              In order for us to improve in the division, 3 other teams would have to forfeit the season.
              That is the only chance of us ever winning another division title.

Comment

• Swiper
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                That is the only chance of us ever winning another division title.
                The Bills #1 need is a franchise QB. They still don't have that.

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

The only team to worry about is the Patriots, and we came close to beating them in the opener.

We swept the Dolphins last year with Thad Lewis at QB both times. We absolutely murdered the Dolphins AND the Jets at home.

In the first Jets game, our entire secondary was out...the ONLY starter playing was Aaron Williams, and he was switched to cornerback, where let's just say he's not as good. That's the game Justin Rogers gave up a million yards and TDs to Geno Smith. Look what happened in the second game.

Also, the Jets got freakishly lucky to win at least two of their games, and basically won because of penalties called in the last seconds of the game. The unnecessary roughness call in the Tampa Bay game, and the unbelievable "pushing into the pile" call against New England, where they missed the game-winning fieldgoal at the end and had another shot much closer. Could not believe either of those. They should have been 6-10.

I think the Bills were more of an 8-8 team last year too. They easily could have had that record or better if the ball bounced a different way a few times. The Dolphins and Jets do not scare me. It's still the Patriots. Everyone else in the division probably needs a Wildcard spot to get into the playoffs.
                  Last edited by feldspar; 03-23-2014, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                    The only team to worry about is the Patriots, and we came close to beating them in the opener.

We swept the Dolphins last year with Thad Lewis at QB both times. We absolutely murdered the Dolphins AND the Jets at home.

In the first Jets game, our entire secondary was out...the ONLY starter playing was Aaron Williams, and he was switched to cornerback, where let's just say he's not as good. That's the game Justin Rogers gave up a million yards and TDs to Geno Smith. Look what happened in the second game.

Also, the Jets got freakishly lucky to win at least two of their games, and basically won because of penalties called in the last seconds of the game. The unnecessary roughness call in the Tampa Bay game, and the unbelievable "pushing into the pile" call against New England, where they missed the game-winning fieldgoal at the end and had another shot much closer. Could not believe either of those. They should have been 6-10.

I think the Bills were more of an 8-8 team last year too. They easily could have had that record or better if the ball bounced a different way a few times. The Dolphins and Jets do not scare me. It's still the Patriots. Everyone else in the division probably needs a Wildcard spot to get into the playoffs.
                    Every team gets good or bad breaks that help determine the outcome of games. Every team could've won another couple games if the ball bounced the right way. Every team could've lost a couple more games if they didn't pull out some close wins and/or get them bounces.

You can't just take out the breaks for one team and act like they don't count. At the same time you can't also add wins to another team because they lost some close games. I know tons of people love to do it and I also sit there during the season at some point and say the same thing during/after a game. You just can't exclude just the fortunate wins for one team and exclude the unfortunate losses of another.

All 32 teams in the NFL experiences this no matter if you were the 2 win Texans or the Seahawks. A team that finishes 10-6 could easily be 12-4 just as easily as they could've been 8-8. A 4-12 team in the NFL could've been 6-10 just as easily as they could've been 2-14. The only thing that counts is if they won or lost the game. Good teams find a way to win more of them games while bad teams find a way to lose them. EVERY NFL team can say the same thing.

Hey at least we're always the "what if" 8-10 win team almost every season. Unfortunately that doesn't count towards a playoff spot though.
                    Last edited by BillsFever21; 03-23-2014, 03:20 PM.

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

As they say BillsFever21, you make your own luck.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
                        LOL. The original post is stupid on so many levels.

Not to mention the source he sites says Eric Decker is a "5 star" signing? LOL. He will do less than Holmes in NY. He was purely a product of who was throwing to him.
                        Same source that rates our picked-up players, keep that in mind. Decker's a quite capable receiver that has 1 ypr more than Stevie, posted a better first four seasons than Stevie, and who has 5 more receiving TDs than Stevie in 4 seasons compared to SJ's 6 seasons.

I know what you're going to say, he's had Manning throwing to him, ... quite true, but still, it's not as if Manning's single-handely responsible for all of that.

I love how people discount things here.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by better days View Post

That's very fair. Couldn't you have done this yourself?

Regardless, here it is, I don't think it's going to help your implicit position.

Pos Pos
                          Rank
                          S 1 5-Star Jairus Byrd UFA 5 5-10/210 Oregon Buffalo New Orleans
                          K 8 3-Star Dan Carpenter UFA 6 -/- Montana Buffalo Buffalo
                          DE 16 3-Star Alex Carrington UFA 4 6-5/284 Arkansas State Buffalo
                          TE NR NR Mike Caussin RFA 3 -/- James Madison Buffalo Buffalo
                          TE 11 3-Star Scott Chandler UFA 7 -/- Iowa Buffalo Buffalo
                          WR NR NR Chris Hogan Fran. 2 -/- Monmouth (NJ) Buffalo Buffalo
                          QB 15 2-Star Kevin Kolb UFA 7 -/- Houston Buffalo
                          S NR NR Jim Leonhard UFA 9 -/- Wisconsin Buffalo
                          MLB 11 2-Star Arthur Moats UFA 4 -/- James Madison Buffalo
                          CB NR NR Brandon Smith UFA 1 -/- Arizona State Buffalo Buffalo
                          OT NR NR Thomas Welch RFA 3 -/- Vanderbilt Buffalo

Pos Pos
                          Rank
                          CB 13 4-Star Nolan Carroll UFA 4 6-1/202 Maryland Miami Philadelphia
                          OT 16 3-Star Tyson Clabo UFA 9 6-6/329 Wake Forest Miami
                          S 4 4-Star Chris Clemons UFA 5 6-1/210 Clemson Miami
                          CB 8 4-Star Brent Grimes UFA 7 5-10/183 Shippensburg (PA) Miami Miami
                          OG NR NR Richie Incognito UFA 9 6-3/324 Nebraska Miami
                          OG 14 3-Star John Jerry UFA 4 6-5/328 Mississippi Miami NY Giants
                          TE 20 3-Star Dustin Keller UFA 5 -/- Purdue Miami
                          DE NR NR Vaughn Martin UFA 5 6-4/308 Western Ontario Miami Detroit
                          OT 13 3-Star Bryant McKinnie UFA 11 -/- Miami (FL) Miami
                          WR 32 2-Star Marlon Moore UFA 4 -/- Fresno State Miami
                          CB 23 3-Star Chris Owens UFA 5 -/- San Jose State Miami Kansas City
                          CB NR NR Dimitri Patterson UFA 7 5-10/200 Tuskegee Miami
                          DT 5 4-Star Paul Soliai UFA 7 6-4/355 Utah Miami Atlanta
                          MLB NR NR Austin Spitler UFA 4 6-2/250 Ohio State Miami
                          DT 1 5-Star Randy Starks UFA 10 6-3/305 Maryland Miami Miami
                          WR NR NR Brian Tyms UFA 1 6-3/210 Florida A&M Miami
                          OG 24 2-Star Danny Watkins RFA 3 -/- Baylor Miami
                          OT NR NR Will Yeatman RFA 3 6-5/268 Maryland Miami

Pos Pos
                          Rank
                          S NR NR Will Allen UFA 13 5-10/195 Syracuse New England
                          RB 1 4-Star LeGarrette Blount UFA 4 6-0/250 Oregon New England
                          DE NR NR Andre Carter UFA 13 -/- California New England
                          WR 29 2-Star Austin Collie UFA 5 6-0/204 BYU New England
                          WR 5 4-Star Julian Edelman UFA 5 5-10/200 Kent State New England New England
                          MLB 18 2-Star Dane Fletcher UFA 4 6-2/244 Montana State New England Tampa Bay
                          DT NR NR Cory Grissom UFA R 6-2/316 South Florida New England
                          TE 21 3-Star Michael Hoomanawanui UFA 4 6-4/263 Illinois New England New England
                          TE 24 2-Star Matthew Mulligan UFA 5 6-4/267 Maine New England
                          MLB 2 4-Star Brandon Spikes UFA 4 6-5/250 Florida New England Buffalo
                          OT 21 2-Star Will Svitek UFA 9 6-6/308 Stanford New England
                          CB 3 5-Star Aqib Talib UFA 6 6-1/205 Kansas New England Denver
                          QB NR NR Tim Tebow UFA 4 6-3/236 Florida New England
                          C 8 3-Star Ryan Wendell UFA 5 6-2/275 Fresno State New England
                          OT NR NR Markus Zusevics UFA 2 6-5/295 Iowa New England

Pos Pos
                          Rank
                          MLB NR NR Nick Bellore RFA 3 6-1/250 Central Michigan NY Jets
                          CB NR NR Aaron Berry UFA 5 -/- Pittsburgh NY Jets
                          OG 8 3-Star Willie Colon UFA 8 -/- Hofstra NY Jets NY Jets
                          WR NR NR Josh Cribbs UFA 9 -/- Kent State NY Jets
                          CB 14 4-Star Antonio Cromartie UFA 8 6-2/203 Florida State NY Jets Arizona
                          TE 22 3-Star Jeff Cumberland UFA 4 6-4/260 Illinois NY Jets NY Jets
                          DT NR NR Leger Douzable UFA 5 -/- UCF NY Jets NY Jets
                          K 4 4-Star Nick Folk Fran. 7 6-1/222 Arizona NY Jets NY Jets
                          QB NR NR David Garrard UFA 10 -/- East Carolina NY Jets
                          FB 7 2-Star Lex Hilliard UFA 6 5-11/240 Montana NY Jets
                          WR 17 3-Star Santonio Holmes UFA 8 5-11/192 Ohio State NY Jets
                          OT 9 4-Star Austin Howard UFA 4 6-7/333 NY Jets Oakland
                          CB NR NR Ellis Lankster UFA 4 5-9/190 West Virginia NY Jets NY Jets
                          OLB NR NR Garrett McIntyre RFA 6 -/- Fresno State NY Jets
                          OLB 5 3-Star Calvin Pace UFA 11 6-4/270 Wake Forest NY Jets NY Jets
                          S NR NR Ed Reed UFA 11 -/- Miami (FL) NY Jets
                          RB NR NR Darius Reynaud UFA 5 -/- West Virginia NY Jets
                          QB 14 2-Star Mark Sanchez UFA 5 6-2/227 USC NY Jets
                          CB NR NR Isaiah Trufant UFA 6 -/- Eastern Washington NY Jets Cleveland
                          CB 36 2-Star Darrin Walls RFA 2 -/- Notre Dame NY Jets NY Jets
                          TE 19 3-Star Kellen Winslow Jr. UFA 11 -/- Miami (FL) NY Jets

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

Sorry about the formatting on that last one, not sure what happened.

Either way, and as you can see, the other AFCE teams have improved more than we have.

The Jets lost Cromartie, who IMO is a reach at 4-Star although realizing that's subjective, I do think he's overrated, along with Howard. But they picked up Decker and Giacomini, who IMO is at least as good as Howard. The Jets' pass rush is great though, and while they'll need a CB, they've imrpoved.

The Pats lost Spikes and Talib, the former being a one-dimensional run defender, the latter IMO overrated and incapable of being there for 16 games for one reason or another. They gained Revis, LaFell, who JMO is highly underrated, and Browner, and given their young receiving corps growing up, they'll have improved significantly next season.

As to the Fins, they lost Carroll, Jerry, Owens, and Soliai of any consquence, but more than made up for it with the acquisitions of Albert, Delmas, Finnegan, Mitchell, and Smith. They'll be more than fine in the positions that they lost too given their depth and existing players. In fact, they're a good example of pruning expendable players while adding at holes.

So it's clear that NE and Miami have gotten better, IMO so have the Jets, but at minimum they've held sway. It's a tough if not impossible argument to suggest that we've improved by signing a one-dimensional run-defending MLB with almost no pass-D skills to speak of, in place of a 5-Star FS that's arguably the best in the league. There isn't one other player that we've signed that carries much weight in terms of impact ability. Not one. In fact, after Spikes, who will start at MLB, all we've done is sign depth while all three other divisional teams have signed numerous starting players.

Have at it and explain now how we should gain on them.

Post #46

------

Comment

• k-oneputt
                              • Jun 2009

The only thing you need to know about making the play-offs is, qb play, qb play, qb play.

They are good enough at the other positions.

Comment

Working...
                              X