Will they find some competition for EJ ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Will they find some competition for EJ ?

I think he deserves to try & win the starting QB job, not having it handed it to him. Nothing says be comfortable like not having another player to compete against, we need to get somebody real to challenge him. Can we draft someone with half a chance early ?
  • mightysimi
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin
    • Mar 2010

Re: Will they find some competition for EJ ?

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
    I think he deserves to try & win the starting QB job, not having it handed it to him. Nothing says be comfortable like not having another player to compete against, we need to get somebody real to challenge him. Can we draft someone with half a chance early ?
    I think you should prepare yourself for that to not happen.

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
      • May 2009

Big bad Thad and Tuel time aren't competition?

Comment

• kishoph
        • Jun 2003

Finding "competition" for EJ is a stupid idea, he needs reps, not competition that will take reps away from him. The Bills brass has put their faith in Manuel, so they need to prepare him and get him weapons, not worry about trying to push him through competition. The whole idea that a young QB gets better by being pushed by competition is foolish IMO, a good athlete is going to push himself and doesn't need another player, who will take away practice reps to do it. Maybe trying to push a veteran QB with competition is something that can work, but not a young QB, that needs all the practice he can get. You also can screw the kids head up by having him have to look over his shoulder all the time, worrying about making a mistake and losing his job. I'm not saying that JP Losman could of been a good QB, but he was put in a position where he always had to worry about making a mistake and I'm sure that screwed with his head. I'm all for bringing in a veteran QB that can help develop EJ and be there if needed, but not one to compete against him. You spent a 1st round pick on the kid, you better "hand him" a job, if he shows he can't do it, then you bring in someone that can.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
          Skoobasaurus-Rex
          • Oct 2011

If EJ gets hurt for a 4th time, we need depth.

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

He's their guy, sink or swim.

The success of this coaching staff will depend on his development, and his success.

Stop creating these spam threads Skoob, they're beneath you.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Will they find some competition for him? Yea but it won't be in the form of a high draft pick or a FA signing. They may take a low round flyer on a QB (Logan Thomas if he falls makes a lot of sense) or sign another UDFA to push the group.

EJ is going to get all of his reps, but I don't think Whaley is foolish enough to not go after at least one other high ceiling low risk QB in May.
              COMING SOON...
              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• The King
                Without me it's just Awe so
                • Jun 2004

The Bills have pretty much answered this question already.
                I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                It was all
                true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• feldspar
                  • Mar 2007

Buddy Nix said that the Bills VERY seriously thought about taking another quarterback in last year's draft. I thought they should have. The Redskins gave up the farm for RG3, but that didn't stop them for taking Kirk Cousins in the 4th round. Look at what the Seahawks did with Matt Flynn: they signed Flynn to a contract that guaranteed $9 million, and then they didn't even play him AT ALL...ever (except for about 10 passing attempts). Well, EJ Manuel is guaranteed about the same money as Flynn was...again, Flynn didn't play at all for the Seahawks. Why? Because they covered their bases by drafting a guy named Russell Wilson in the 3rd round. How's that working out so far?

I don't know as if the Bills WILL find some competition for EJ, but I think they should. I've always targeted Aaron Murray, for one. The only thing the Bills ever owed Manuel is close to $9 million. Other than that, they shouldn't worry about the psychology of making him feel uncomfortable for having another guy on the roster that may be actually kinda good. The game of football is BASED on this type of pressure of competition in the first place. That is what it is all about...that's why they play the game, and that's why people watch it. Competition.

I think you bring in a guy like Aaron Murray and push Tool to the practice squad.

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

I sure hope so, they'll be able to find comparably rated/ranked talent in late round 2 for sure and maybe even into round 3.
                    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                    Originally Posted by pmoon6
                    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                      I sure hope so, they'll be able to find comparably rated/ranked talent in late round 2 for sure and maybe even into round 3.
                      That's what I'm thinking as well.

Comment

• phil3782
                        • Apr 2013

There is no question they need to add another QB to the mix earlier than later in this draft. EJ has not proven at this point he is an franchise QB so lets have a plan B.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                          Skoobasaurus-Rex
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by phil3782 View Post
                          There is no question they need to add another QB to the mix earlier than later in this draft. EJ has not proven at this point he is an franchise QB so lets have a plan B.
                          Agreed.

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

That's what I'm thinking as well.
                            They'd be foolish not to, so expect them to not take one. In fact, I'd bet on it, that they don't take a QB in the first 3 rounds despite the fact that it's the single biggest position holding them back right now.

Granted, they still have a bunch of holes, but the one that would patch up the biggest talent gap is at QB.
                            http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                            (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                            Originally Posted by pmoon6
                            The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                              Skoobasaurus-Rex
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                              They'd be foolish not to, so expect them to not take one. In fact, I'd bet on it, that they don't take a QB in the first 3 rounds despite the fact that it's the single biggest position holding them back right now.

Granted, they still have a bunch of holes, but the one that would patch up the biggest talent gap is at QB.
                              Our depth there is absolute 0.

Comment

Working...
                              X