Bills considering a contract extension for CJ Spiller after the draft.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Bills considering a contract extension for CJ Spiller after the draft.

The Buffalo Bills have a pair of players they're looking at getting some contract extensions done for, one of those is running back C.J. Spiller. &quo...

The Buffalo Bills have a pair of players they’re looking at getting some contract extensions done for, one of those is running back C.J. Spiller.

“We’re going to focus on the draft right now and then after the draft we’ll start looking at issues such as Marcell (Dareus) and C.J.,” Bills general manager Dough Whaley said, via the team’s website. “We’ll start doing a pecking order of what we want to do. The ownership has no bearing on us trying to win football games.”
    Whaley said earlier that surrounding quarterback EJ Manuel with weapons is key to his success, and Spiller definitely falls in that category.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Bills considering a contract extension for CJ Spiller after the draft.

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
    http://fansided.com/2014/04/26/bills...spiller-draft/

The Buffalo Bills have a pair of players they’re looking at getting some contract extensions done for, one of those is running back C.J. Spiller.

“We’re going to focus on the draft right now and then after the draft we’ll start looking at issues such as Marcell (Dareus) and C.J.,” Bills general manager Dough Whaley said, via the team’s website. “We’ll start doing a pecking order of what we want to do. The ownership has no bearing on us trying to win football games.”
    Whaley said earlier that surrounding quarterback EJ Manuel with weapons is key to his success, and Spiller definitely falls in that category.

Git er done Doug.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      Whaley said earlier that surrounding quarterback EJ Manuel with weapons is key to his success
      Wrong, EJ Manuel is the key to success. That's the problem. The Bills will only go as far as KneeJ takes them.

My crystal ball sees 5-11.

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

Does he have to pass a reading test before he can legally execute a contract?
        Last edited by coastal; 04-27-2014, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Watch 'em pay Spiller what Byrd was asking.

Spiller's a fine complement, but they really need a solid 3-down RB first. If this is going to inhibit them from getting that RB, then it's a bad idea.

Spiller for 5 years at $20M is fine, otherwise I'd let him walk.
          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
          Originally Posted by pmoon6
          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
            Wrong, EJ Manuel is the key to success. That's the problem. The Bills will only go as far as KneeJ takes them.

My crystal ball sees 5-11.
            We're looking longer term here. I agree for the most part. Again, if they pay Spiller huge bucks, and I'm guessing that they will since that's their MO and since they focus on marketing instead of on-field performance as a team overall, and it infringes on their ability to land a top-notch QB, then it's a bad move.

Spiller's a role player.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
              We're looking longer term here. I agree for the most part. Again, if they pay Spiller huge bucks, and I'm guessing that they will since that's their MO and since they focus on marketing instead of on-field performance as a team overall, and it infringes on their ability to land a top-notch QB, then it's a bad move.

Spiller's a role player.
              Long term...the Bills haven't had a decent QB in 14 years...that's long term enough.

They have had Running Backs, they have had Receivers, they have had linemen, what they haven't had is a Quarterback.

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Long term...the Bills haven't had a decent QB in 14 years...that's long term enough.

They have had Running Backs, they have had Receivers, they have had linemen, what they haven't had is a Quarterback.
                Oh, I'm sorry, I thought that they'd sign Spiller to play RB. I didn't realize that they were looking to extend him to play QB.

Sounds par for the course here in Buffalo.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

By the way, presumably you sensed that I was being facetious, but that's my point entirely, if they were to re-sign him, the reason for the signing would be longer term since we're not going anywhere with, as say, KneeJ.

I don't think that we need him for the long-term, we need a true 3-down RB anyway and I'd love to see us grab Jeremy Hill from LSU to fill that spot. Spiller can't do it, he's a semi-luxury, particularly for a team with so many other needs.

I might offer him an extension, but I certainly wouldn't offer him a lot and I would expect a hometown discount for him. Many will disagree.

I'd also like to see us draft a QB in round 2 this year, but I don't think that that will happen either.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

The type of player Spiller is is the type of player who bounces around the league. Only the Buffalo Bills would consider extending such a player. Sproles bounces around the league, Woodhead bounces around the league, Bush bounces around the league, Metcalf bounced around the league.

Instead of extending guys we should, Byrd, we're too busy extending interchangeable parts and outside of the fact there hasn't been a QB worth a dam since Bledsoe around here is there any wonder why this team is a perennial bottom feeder?

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                      The type of player Spiller is is the type of player who bounces around the league. Only the Buffalo Bills would consider extending such a player. Sproles bounces around the league, Woodhead bounces around the league, Bush bounces around the league, Metcalf bounced around the league.

Instead of extending guys we should, Byrd, we're too busy extending interchangeable parts and outside of the fact there hasn't been a QB worth a dam since Bledsoe around here is there any wonder why this team is a perennial bottom feeder?
                      I agree completely, but that doesn't mean that Spiller has no utility as the others do. Again, he's a complimentary back, not a 3-down RB.

5 years at $20M sounds about right. Personally I'd low ball him and drive on if he doesn't want to stay. I think we'll see the opposite though with the team treating him as more than he is and not what you just said he is, accurately I might add. That's the way that they do business and it would be another carrot-dangling move to those that want to have "hope" every season instead of a fundamentally solid team.

Post #46

------

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                        The Voice of Reason
                        • Jul 2007

If he doesn't take an incentive filled contact, I'm not for it.
                        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                          If he doesn't take an incentive filled contact, I'm not for it.
                          Even better.

My first thought is to just let him walk, but I think that if you have a great 3-down RB, a good QB, decent WRs, he's an asset. I was never big on him when we drafted him and thought that we reached.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

and by the way, when I say 5 years/$20M, my thought is that that last year is usually higher, like $6 or $7M, making it a shorter contract for around $3.5M/year. Decent players don't come for much less.

Post #46

------

Comment

• The Zone Ranger
                              • Aug 2013

The Running back position as a whole this year has drastically been reduced in monetary value. CJ had better understand this before making any ubsured demands.

Comment

Working...
                              X