• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

NFL Power Rankings: Post-draft edition

5. New England

“Well, I feel like we improved our team today,” Bill Belichick said to open his post-draft press conference. “We’ll see how it all goes.”
    Nonchalant but apropos given the Patriots’ draft strategy, which fell somewhere between speculative and fruitless. A star or two may emerge — Dominique Easley being the leader in the clubhouse. For now, though, the Patriots will go to battle with a roster that’s one Darrelle Revis-for-Aqib Talib switcheroo from looking almost identical to the 2013 version. Of course, that team came within one win of a Super Bowl berth.

16. New York Jets
    Good news: Rex Ryan confirmed during the NFL meetings in March that he still had that Mark Sanchez tattoo on his right arm. Better news, for the Jets and Ryan: Sanchez’s spot on the depth chart now belong to Michael Vick, who might elevate this team to the playoffs if he can surpass Geno Smith.

22. Miami
    The Dolphins have finished 6-8, 7-9 or 8-8 in each of the past five seasons, with the lone .500 mark landing last season. Here’s a prediction: Miami will not be stuck in average-team purgatory this year. Whether that means a 10-win season and postseason breakthrough or a slip down the charts spurred by O-line issues remains to be seen.

29. Buffalo
    The trade for Sammy Watkins gives off the impression that the Bills view themselves as far closer to contention than most outside of Buffalo do. Keep in mind that this is still an extremely youthful team and that many key positions — QB EJ Manuel and defensive leader Kiko Alonso were 2013 draft picks — were filled in the past three years. Can the pieces click quickly enough to make this season interesting?

Well, according to SI's 'experts', apparently we spent the off-season getting worse.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

Re: NFL Power Rankings: Post-draft edition

Took the words right out of my mouth.
    Originally posted by DANNY BATTEN POWER View Post
    We suck till proven otherwise. It's the only rational way to look at it.

Comment

• Ingtar33
      Dances With Buffaloes
      • Sep 2002

well... i can't say we got noticeably better...
      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Swiper
        • Sep 2010

Gotta wait and see.

Comment

• Homegrown
          Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
          • Jul 2008

Originally posted by gr8slayer View Post
          Took the words right out of my mouth.
          ah...a Meat Loaf reference
          Attached Files

Comment

• Meathead
            Insufferable prick and perpetual crybaby
            • Jul 2002

i got your meatloaf right here
            One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Swiper
              • Sep 2010

7. The five teams with the longest odds to win the Super Bowl are all in the AFC.

Share this image:

(USA TODAY Sports)
              Every NFC team has better odds to win the Super Bowl than the New York Jets (66/1), Buffalo Bills (75/1), Tennessee Titans (75/1), Oakland Raiders (100/1) and Jacksonville Jaguars (150/1).

The common thread is that all five teams have QB problems.
              Last edited by swiper; 05-26-2014, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                Skoobasaurus-Rex
                • Oct 2011

We do have a problem, 14 years a running.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

You can debate till your blue in the face whether we got better and if you agree we did then by how much. For me the biggest thing was that the team was finally aggressive. Been a long time since we've seen that and that's a positive change.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    You can debate till your blue in the face whether we got better and if you agree we did then by how much. For me the biggest thing was that the team was finally aggressive. Been a long time since we've seen that and that's a positive change.
                    How exactly can someone debate the Bills got better? By counting on rookies?

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                      How exactly can someone debate the Bills got better? By counting on rookies?
                      Yes. Talented Rookies.

As well as FA's signed such as Spikes, Graham, Williams, & Rivers as well as the trade for Bryce Brown.

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                        The trade for Sammy Watkins gives off the impression that the Bills view themselves as far closer to contention than most outside of Buffalo do.
                        Therein lies the key right there.

Objective fans here see what "most outside of Buffalo do" too. Yet, there's something wrong with all of us.

Once again, there is absolutely no NFL precedent whereby a rookie WR comes in and makes the kind of impact to take a losing team to a winning record, much less to the playoffs.

Of course all that's going to change this year in Buffalo. Could be why we're in the situation we're in, constantly playing the worst odds in the business.

I'm just curious what the reaction will be for the Whaley supporters when precedent is, once again, not set here in Buffalo (and it's laughable that it would be) and he'll have whiffed on his first two 1st-rounders directly publicly credited to him.

I suppose it will make the loss of next year's 1st-rounder that much more insignificant.
                        Last edited by Fletch; 05-27-2014, 09:02 AM.
                        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                        Originally Posted by pmoon6
                        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                          Depends upon how you define aggressive.

I thought that the Spiller pick was aggressive, as was selecting Manuel last year at 16th.

We traded up for someone not that many years ago who was a bust also, I forget who it was. Was it McCargo? That was aggressive too.

"Aggressive" is just one of those words that's among the Bills' buzzwords du jour. Remember when Trent Edwards was annointed the next great one by Bill Walsh and everyone swooned over the fact that he had poise in the pocket.

Aggressive schmaggressive, ... win or [Whaley] get TF out. You've said that this "aggressive" move was going to propel us to the playoffs, now if you don't make 'em, or at least don't post 9 wins, then you have no credibility left Doug, plain and simple!

Frankly, I'd like to hear the words "common sense" after one of our drafts. Or words like "crafty," or "shrewd." "Gutsy," "aggressive," "bold" don't cut it for me.

As well, I'd love to hear about all of the WRs in the NFL whose success in college was predicated upon bubble screens.

What I don't understand is how "aggressive," "gutsy," and "bold" somehow translate to "positive." Maybe you can explain it to us.

For some reason some seem to think that trading away the future for risky choices is somehow good.

The most appropriate word is "incredibly risky." Two words, sorry. The next words that come to mind are "without any NFL precedent." The next in the logical string are "foolish" and/or "stupid."
                          Last edited by Fletch; 05-27-2014, 09:12 AM.
                          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                          Originally Posted by pmoon6
                          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

I usually don't care for rankings. People on here had the bills winning 2-4 games last year. However, for arguments sake, those who say that we suck until proven otherwise should consider that the same goes for teams like the jags.

Didn't we sweep the fins with Thad Lewis? Didn't we beat the snot out of the jets in our last game? What have they done in the off season to be ranked 16? The writer mentioned the browns having a rookie , HC and QB and NO receivers yet they are ranked above the bills.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                              • Sep 2003

It wasn't all that distant in the past that the Bills had a 3-0 start, and had just beat the Patriots. We were near the top of every power rankings poll. We all know how that turned out.
                              "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

Working...
                              X