Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

OTA 8: Manuel sloppy, showing no emotion

Originally posted by wgr550.com
    Bills' offense continues to struggle

Paul Hamilton

Orchard Park, NY (WGR 550) -- Tuesday was just another frustrating day for the offense as EJ Manuel is either pulling the ball down quickly and not throwing it, or often he’s overthrowing wide open receivers.

In the red zone he tried a simple fade to the end zone and overthrew his receiver by five yards.

Manuel had Sammy Watkins on a fly pattern and overthrew him by at least 10 yards.

There was frustration, Manuel said, “Sometimes I get frustrated because I know it’s there and if we have one misstep and it’s incomplete, that’s frustrating. I try to pride myself on knowing it so well, so you just have to keep rolling with the punches.”

Preston Brown had another interception. It was a gift from Thad Lewis as he put it right in Brown’s arms just five yards away.

Practice was so sloppy special teams coach Danny Crossman blew a gasket when the receiving team just let a ball drop in which was recovered by the kicking team.

Doug Marrone went off on his offensive linemen after that. There were numerous false starts in this practice.

Manuel of course has to be a leader out there and if you’re just watching you don’t see much emotion from him. He stays on an even keel and doesn’t appear to get angry. Manuel said, “I think it’s a balance. You have to show that you care because I do care. At the same time as a quarterback, you can’t allow it to get to the point where it’s causing mistakes on your own part.” Manuel added, “Dealing with that position as a quarterback, the guys are going to look to you when they make a mistake and I think it’s better to build them up instead of trying to tear them down. The coaches are going to critique them enough and I think as a player and as a peer you help them out instead of coming down on them.”
    Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

Re: OTA 8: Manuel sloppy, showing no emotion

make your mistakes in June. Get them all out. but somehow, this seems more like the same old problems we've always had.

as for manuel's emotions, he is essentially a red shirted rookie in some ways. the guy has no cred to be barking at others for their mistakes. so the only thing he could do is be quiet and not look rattled. even last year, i was amazed how he never had those slumped shoulders all the last guys had.

until he becomes consistent himself, he can't really get angry at others.

Comment

• jamze132
      Don’t hate…
      • Jun 2003

7-9

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

Instead of watching him throw the fade pattern into the seats while in the redzone, let him run a qb draw. Plays much more to the few strengths he has.

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

IMO coaching has quite a bit to do with this.

Having said that, I've been stressing chemistry between Manuel and his receivers for weeks now, although some here discount that, unwisely. If they're still having these issues after a preseason game or two there will be cause for concern. Right now this lack of chemistry is at least partly to blame for this. Having said that, as others pointed out, these inaccuracy issues plagued Manuel for four seasons at FSU and last season here, so expecting a donkey to become a zebra probably isn't an odds-on proposition either.
          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
          Originally Posted by pmoon6
          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
            7-9
            If this issue doesn't resolve itselt fairly quickly, and I don't mean quickly on the calendar, I mean quickly int erms of OTAs and training camp remaining, I think that USA Today's prediction of 3-13 will start looking a lot more reasonable.

Let's not forget, the passing game is where this team is looking for nearly 100% of its improvement and for this supposed push to get us to a winning record much less the playoffs.
            http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
            (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
            Originally Posted by pmoon6
            The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• EDS
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by k-oneputt View Post
              Instead of watching him throw the fade pattern into the seats while in the redzone, let him run a qb draw. Plays much more to the few strengths he has.
              I think having him run more is just asking for another injury. The injuries he sustained at FSU really seemed to change his desire to run with the football, or at least his style of running.

On the plus side, maybe he is overthrowing his receivers now in an effort to put more heat on the ball so it is on the money when the cold winds are blowing in December!

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Can't get too excited or too down about one practice in June.

At the same time, it's not exactly what I was hoping to hear....
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                  • Sep 2012

On the plus side, Preston Brown sounds like a baller. Let's hope we found a legit MLB for the long term.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• jills
                    • Oct 2009

Not looking good, thank God we have a plan b.

Comment

• trapezeus
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Oct 2004

plan b is to abort the season. it is also known as plan brandon.

Comment

• kishoph
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by jills View Post
                        Not looking good, thank God we have a plan b.
                        Plan B is to go to minicamp and so on and so on.

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Wooohoooooo!

better days ahead!

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                            Wooohoooooo!

better days ahead!
                            Let's hope so.

Comment

• Turf
                              • Jul 2002

You can't teach accuracy. He either has it or doesn't. There better be a plan B because I'm yet to see it.
                              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

Working...
                              X