• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Bills RB's named elite

Another SBnation nod.

Bills running backs named elite. http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/6/1...s-bucs-bengals

Buffalo Bills

RB C.J. Spiller, RB Fred Jackson, RB Bryce Brown, RB Anthony Dixon, RB/FB Ronnie Wingo, FB Frank Summers, FB Evan Rodriguez

C.J. SPiller, Photo credit: Winslow Townson-USA TODAY Sports
    There might not be a more purely explosive running back in the NFL than C.J. Spiller (OK, maybe Adrian Peterson). Still, Spiller displays rare, rare balance, lateral agility, acceleration, change-of-direction and speed. That said, 2013 was not his best, as he continually fought an ankle injury that robbed him of his explosiveness. He's back to full health now, per reports, and will look to get back to his 2012 form. I'd bet on Spiller lighting things up for Buffalo this year, and he'll have plenty of chances to do so, playing in an offense that ran the ball more than any other club last season.
    He'll have plenty of support, too. Fred Jackson is now 33 but could play a key role as Spiller's backup (he did finish 8th among running backs in Football Outsiders' DYAR (value over replacement) in 2013, illustrating that he hasn't lost it quite yet), and the team just traded for the talented Bryce Brown. Add free agent Anthony Dixon into the mix, and it's a deep, experienced and versatile group.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Bills RB's named elite

Well now this tells you we might run a lot, again.

Comment

• Crisis
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
      Well now this tells you we might run a lot, again.
      Thanks for the deep analysis, Skooby.
      Originally posted by LOSman WINS
      Vanek is Austrian not European
      Originally posted by Prov401
      Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
      Originally posted by better days
      I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Woodman
        Legendary Zoner
        • Apr 2014

I expect a better than ever running game ..... Bills fans gotta be excited.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

Wow - can't pass, so we will run. What insight that is...
          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Crisis View Post
            Thanks for the deep analysis, Skooby.
            Jeah, anytime.

Comment

• Woodman
              Legendary Zoner
              • Apr 2014

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
              Wow - can't pass, so we will run. What insight that is...
              Running always makes passing easier so get ready for some big play strikes in the passing game as well.

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Woodman View Post
                Running always makes passing easier so get ready for some big play strikes in the passing game as well.
                That's so, but I suppose we have all heard the marketing ploys that teams use...

"We enter this season with a top run game." - translation: we couldn't pass for crap.
                "The rest of the league feared our relentless passing attack." - translation: we couldn't run effectively against a girl scout troop.

And on defense...

"We were among the leaders in pass defense." - translation: they didn't bother to pass as they ran unmercifully and shoved it down out throats while chewing up the clock.
                "Our rush defense proved to be among the best." - translation: they didn't bother to run, what with our so-called pass defense unable to swat down a housefly.

Balance, balance, balance is what counts.
                Last edited by stuckincincy; 06-13-2014, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• Woodman
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                  That's so, but I suppose we have all heard the marketing ploys that teams use...

"We enter this season with a top run game." - translation: we couldn't pass for crap.
                  "The rest of the league feared our relentless passing attack." - translation: we couldn't run effectively against a girl scout troop.

And on defense...

"We were among the leaders in pass defense." - translation: they didn't bother to pass as they ran unmercifully and shoved it down out throats while chewing up the clock.
                  "Our rush defense proved to be among the best." - translation: they didn't bother to run, what with our so-called pass defense unable to swat down a housefly.

Balance, balance, balance is what counts.
                  If you think a minute .... the fact that we started a rookie QB that teams might key on more to stop our efforts to run the ball. Despite that being the case we still ran pretty well maybe a little better than pretty well .... however still not good enough to allow for a higher percentage of success in our passing game. For my money that's all about to change dramatically with the added depth and quality we now have in our run game.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                    Buffalo Bills Fan
                    • Sep 2003

If you think a minute .... the fact that we started a rookie QB that teams might key on more to stop our efforts to run the ball. Despite that being the case we still ran pretty well maybe a little better than pretty well .... however still not good enough to allow for a higher percentage of success in our passing game. For my money that's all about to change dramatically with the added depth and quality we now have in our run game.
                    The BUF management has sung those marketing songs for years and years. Let's hope that change is on the way..and valid.

Comment

• Woodman
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Apr 2014

This season will prove that we absolutely have something very special in our run game, in addition I'm going to take a flyer here and predict an incredibly productive passing attack.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

This season will prove that we absolutely have something very special in our run game, in addition I'm going to take a flyer here and predict an incredibly productive passing attack.
                        Will that mean a winning record?

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by The King View Post
                          There might not be a more purely explosive running back in the NFL than C.J. Spiller (OK, maybe Adrian Peterson). Still, Spiller displays rare, rare balance, lateral agility, acceleration, change-of-direction and speed. That said, 2013 was not his best, as he continually fought an ankle injury that robbed him of his explosiveness. He's back to full health now, per reports, and will look to get back to his 2012 form. I'd bet on Spiller lighting things up for Buffalo this year, and he'll have plenty of chances to do so, playing in an offense that ran the ball more than any other club last season.
                          He'll have plenty of support, too. Fred Jackson is now 33 but could play a key role as Spiller's backup (he did finish 8th among running backs in Football Outsiders' DYAR (value over replacement) in 2013, illustrating that he hasn't lost it quite yet), and the team just traded for the talented Bryce Brown. Add free agent Anthony Dixon into the mix, and it's a deep, experienced and versatile group.
                          And Spiller didn't look so good in his first two seasons either, pretty bad in fact.

Why does everyone keep saying how explosive he is? He rarely does anything long, much less score. I don't get it. Are they hearkening back to Clemson.

Last year anyone that played us had elite RBs on those days.

And Dixon, LMAO, the guy was a 6th round draft pick five seasons ago that hasn't even managed to hit 100 yards rushing in his last three seasons. Having said that, he had as many rushing TDs as Spiller did last season on nearly 1,000 yards.
                          Last edited by Fletch; 06-13-2014, 05:49 PM.
                          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                          Originally Posted by pmoon6
                          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

I expect a better than ever running game ..... Bills fans gotta be excited.
                            How much more do you want to run than last season?

Did you ever look to see how much we ran last year? We had more rushes than any other team in the league by a longshot. 546 carries, #2 had 509 carries. That's almost 10% more carries than the next most running team.
                            http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                            (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                            Originally Posted by pmoon6
                            The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                              • Aug 2013

Isn't SB Nation an open blog where anyone can write articles whenever they want and submit them?

Comment

Working...
                              X