The Bills Running Back That Gets The Majority of Carries In 2014 Will Be Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

The Bills Running Back That Gets The Majority of Carries In 2014 Will Be Who?

Who will start on opening day is one thing, but who is going to carry the ball the most throughout the season is another.

Spiller started 2013, but after his inability to run the ball effectively between the tackles, Fred Jackson took over and never looked back as usual.

CJ Spiller, Fred Jackson, Anthony Dixon, or Bryce Brown?

LeSean McCoy thinks Bryce Brown will be the Bills Week 1 starter, not like that really matters.

I like Doug Whaley's comments about competition.

Is 2014 Fred Jackson's last go? What if Spiller, Dixon, and Brown all perform better than Jackson at training camp?

Time, and the NFL is a cruel *****.

Which running back ends up getting the majority of carries in 2014 for the Buffalo Bills?

The only thing I am certain of is that it won't be CJ Spiller.
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: The Bills Running Back That Gets The Majority of Carries In 2014 Will Be Who?

Fred Jackson. You can bank on him while he has anything left in the tank, and he will another year.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Re: The Bills Running Back That Gets The Majority of Carries In 2014 Will Be Who?

Originally posted by Mace View Post
      Fred Jackson. You can bank on him while he has anything left in the tank, and he will another year.
      He's the back I want most to have a great year, but the competition against him is the most he has ever seen in his career.

I feel like Jackson could be the best running back on the team, while at the same time I feel like this might be the year he gets cut.

It always boils down to money.

Comment

• Ed
        • Sep 2002

CJ Spiller only had 4 less carries than Fred Jackson last year despite playing on a bum ankle for most of the year and missing one game. He'll be the starter and should get the most carries assuming everyone stays relatively healthy. They're not going to try and make a 33 year old FJ their work horse when CJ is in his prime. It'll be interesting to see who gets more carries between FJ and Bryce Brown.

Comment

• Mace
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
          He's the back I want most to have a great year, but the competition against him is the most he has ever seen in his career.

I feel like Jackson could be the best running back on the team, while at the same time I feel like this might be the year he gets cut.

It always boils down to money.
          I have a feeling Jackson is going to come cheap yearly after this. I don't see him being cut. If they need to run on a money down, if, it's going to Freddie. He runs too hard, too fast (if not lightning) and too cheap to get a boot. He's gonna retire here, no matter the offseason press wonderings, and just so.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
            The Voice of Reason
            • Jul 2007

Frank Summers.
            Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Mace
              • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Ed View Post
              CJ Spiller only had 4 less carries than Fred Jackson last year despite playing on a bum ankle for most of the year and missing one game. He'll be the starter and should get the most carries assuming everyone stays relatively healthy. They're not going to try and make a 33 year old FJ their work horse when CJ is in his prime. It'll be interesting to see who gets more carries between FJ and Bryce Brown.
              I see Spiller being trade bait in terms of carries and not being here next year. He just never got the hang of it or just couldn't do it.

Comment

• THRILLHO
                This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
                • Feb 2009

It needs to be Spiller. We spent a first rounder on him and this is his last year. We need to know what he can do. It is Freddy's last year also, but he doesn't have the upside CJ has (mostly due to age).
                True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• jimmifli
                  • Nov 2006

Freddie will be the 3rd down back and short yardage guy. His blitz pick up and blocking are too good to keep him on the bench. Plus he's great at catching screens. It's the perfect role for him at this point in his career. That's probably a 30-35% load, with CJ getting 40-45% and Boobie getting the left overs.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Fred is still the primary guy. Spiller can be used as a change of pace guy and go in motion as a WR. He caught the ball very well in college.

Will be interested to see Bryce Brown in pre-season. He could easily be our future #1 guy, having just turned 23.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                      Freddie will be the 3rd down back and short yardage guy. His blitz pick up and blocking are too good to keep him on the bench. Plus he's great at catching screens. It's the perfect role for him at this point in his career. That's probably a 30-35% load, with CJ getting 40-45% and Boobie getting the left overs.
                      Boobie Clark...now there's a blast from the past...
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

A pundit adds a few drops of fuel to the fire...

"Overrated: RB C.J. Spiller **-- This hurts me to put him here because I love his ability, but let's be real about things. He has not lived up to the expectations. Some of it is simply staying on the field.

Underrated: CB Nickell Robey **-- He had a heck of a season as the team's nickel corner in 2013 after signing as a non*drafted free agent last April. Roby is a small corner at 5*foot-8, but he has the tools to cover inside in their nickel."...

Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                          Fred is still the primary guy. Spiller can be used as a change of pace guy and go in motion as a WR. He caught the ball very well in college.

Will be interested to see Bryce Brown in pre-season. He could easily be our future #1 guy, having just turned 23.
                          If Jackson is the primary guy at 33 he'll be in some elite company. Not sure I see that happening.
                          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                          Originally Posted by pmoon6
                          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Thief
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                            A pundit adds a few drops of fuel to the fire...

"Overrated: RB C.J. Spiller **-- This hurts me to put him here because I love his ability, but let's be real about things. He has not lived up to the expectations. Some of it is simply staying on the field.

Underrated: CB Nickell Robey **-- He had a heck of a season as the team's nickel corner in 2013 after signing as a non*drafted free agent last April. Roby is a small corner at 5*foot-8, but he has the tools to cover inside in their nickel."...

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/...s-team-by-team
                            Robey is so underrated this guy can't get his name right.

Comment

• kishoph
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                              I see Spiller being trade bait in terms of carries and not being here next year. He just never got the hang of it or just couldn't do it.

What ? In 2012 he averaged 6 yds. per carry for over 1,200 yds. (6 TD's) and added 43 receptions, averaging 10.7 yds. per catch (2TD's). Just over 1,700 all purpose yds. The only reason he didn't have more TD's was because Gailey almost always took him out once they reached the red zone. If that's not getting the hang of it or not being able to do it, I can't imagine what is.

Comment

Working...
                              X