• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Texas AM files suit against hand-capped Buffalo resident

Talk about picking on the little guy.
    SEC powerhouse Texas A&M University lodged two complaints this week against four Buffalo Bills fans for using a website with a common football phrase that infringed on its trademark. The school also held out the possibility of legal action.
    One of targets is Charles “Chuckie” Sonntag, a double amputee and cancer survivor. He co-founded 12thManThunder.com website to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Texas A&M owns the rights to the term “the 12th man.” Sonntag, who overcame cancer last year, has suffered since childhood from polyostotic fibrous dysplasia, also known as Albright’s disease, He lost his left arm 20 years ago, and his left leg was amputated in March.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...bsite-20140701
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: Texas AM files suit against hand-capped Buffalo resident

The Aggies just lost a fan here, who in their right mind does this to a disabled person ?

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
      The Aggies just lost a fan here, who in their right mind does this to a disabled person ?
      Someone who is making sure they want to protect their property. If you had a disabled person living next door and he started stealing things from your house, you wouldn't wave to him as he was leaving and say "have a nice day". You would call the police or handle it on your own, but you would get your property back. Like it or not, 12th Man is their property and anyone using it without a fee paid is stealing it.

Now the logical thing would be to make an agreement with the guy where he pays them a nominal fee like $100/year so they could assert their rights to their property (he could even get site donors to pay the fee so it doesn't come out of his pockets) and everyone comes out looking good, but once lawyers get involved in trademark violations all logic flies out the window.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
        • Sep 2012

If you don't defend a trademark, you lose it.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• tatersalad
          • Apr 2008

A&M defends that 12th man vigourously they got big money from seahawks that is their trademark no diff than say starbucks and coke

Comment

• whkfc
            Theres Fast Food, Then Theres KFC
            • May 2003

I would imagine there was some sort of cease and desist notice first. I doubt they would go straight to filing suit.

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

So what happens to the Bills Wall of Fame?

Douchebags.

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Historian View Post

Douchebags.
                Agree, and that phrase is used all over the place and in this case not even related to on-field stuff, but the effort to keep the team here which is temporary.

No one would argue the school's right to protect its trademark, but this is a little bit over the top, of all times to seek enforcement they had to pick this one. Makes the school look petty. This will likely be over in a matter of months, couldn't they have simply looked the other way for a short spell.
                http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                Originally Posted by pmoon6
                The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

I wonder if they're going to go after the following that a quick Google search came up with:

That was just off the first few pages after A&M & Seahawks filtered out. There's more after that.
                  http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                  (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                  Originally Posted by pmoon6
                  The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                  ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

Douchebags.
                    It was renamed the Tim Russert Plaza.

Also the Bills already pay TexasA&M annually for use of the 12th man trademark.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                      • Sep 2012

Douchebags.
                      Nothing. The Bills pay for the privilege.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

Interesting...I never knew A&M owned the trademark, or that Seattle and Buffalo paid them to use it.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• black N yellow
                          • Dec 2012

screw Texas.

Comment

Working...
                          X