• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

Pro Football Focus

Does Anyone Have a Premium Membership to ProFootballFocus?

I have been thinking about buying one but I am not sure it's worth it.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• TedMock
    • Jul 2002

Re: Pro Football Focus

I do and I love it, but I'm also a complete geek with this stuff. I suffer through the same games several times and analyze them to death, so for my disease it works. I almost did some work for them last year, but surgery put that on hold. They do things differently than Football Outsiders, another analytics outfit. Both are very good. PFF is a bit simpler though. Neither is fool-proof. PFF basically looks on the surface and decides whether the player succeeded They do not attempt to know what the play was supposed to be. For example: A guard locks in on a DT and wins the battle. What PFF does not look at is whether the guard blocked the right guy. Maybe he was supposed to pull on that play, for instance. Bad routes by WR's, etc. It's fairly simple. Fooball Outsiders dives deeper into statistical analysis. I like them quite a bit too. It takes more time and energy to work as they do, but if you're into that stuff it could be worth it.

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Great points.

Both sites also rely on lay fans to compile their data for not much money. So there is obviously a bunch of subjectivity, as you suggested, depending upon who is actually reviewing the plays.

Every once in a while I've seen them put out job ads which don't pay much if anything. Who knows how much attrition they have.

More importantly than looking at individual stats like that is to look and see how they all come together as a whole. Someone posted a chart here by PFF I think it was not long ago, that showed what caliber of players our starting roster was. By looking at that you'd think that we should easily have been 10-6, so why weren't we? Just something to think about.
      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
      Originally Posted by pmoon6
      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
        Great points.

Both sites also rely on lay fans to compile their data for not much money. So there is obviously a bunch of subjectivity, as you suggested, depending upon who is actually reviewing the plays.

Every once in a while I've seen them put out job ads which don't pay much if anything. Who knows how much attrition they have.

More importantly than looking at individual stats like that is to look and see how they all come together as a whole. Someone posted a chart here by PFF I think it was not long ago, that showed what caliber of players our starting roster was. By looking at that you'd think that we should easily have been 10-6, so why weren't we? Just something to think about.
        Anyone with just a little intelligence & knowledge about football knows the Bills were not 10-6 last year because of injuries, poor QB play & the inability to stop the run.

Comment

• GingerP
          • Aug 2012

Originally posted by better days View Post
          Anyone with just a little intelligence & knowledge about football knows the Bills were not 10-6 last year because of injuries, poor QB play & the inability to stop the run.
          Don't forget the crappy Special Teams!

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by GingerP View Post
            Don't forget the crappy Special Teams!
            You mention a key point. One that folks that don't consider when a club fills out a roster. And the coaching

A large gap in starting positions for drives (or defending) during a game means a lot. I recall a CLE - CIN game where there was a 250+ yard gap in starting field position.

Last season in OT, Moorman hit a 51 yard punt from the 11, and CIN got 29 yards on the return. 3 runs for 8 yards, a 43 yd FG, and that was it...

The question I have is:

Is it coaching, or is it that the overall roster is so weak that the ST players themselves are poor?

When you draft, sometimes you have to make a pick in the 6th or 7th spot for a player that you hope has a shot at the roster, but you are reasonably confident that he will aid your special teams.

Drafting a rookie late with an eye on his ST value isn't unknown.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
              You mention a key point. One that folks that don't consider when a club fills out a roster. And the coaching

A large gap in starting positions for drives (or defending) during a game means a lot. I recall a CLE - CIN game where there was a 250+ yard gap in starting field position.

Last season in OT, Moorman hit a 51 yard punt from the 11, and CIN got 29 yards on the return. 3 runs for 8 yards, a 43 yd FG, and that was it...

The question I have is:

Is it coaching, or is it that the overall roster is so weak that the ST players themselves are poor?

When you draft, sometimes you have to make a pick in the 6th or 7th spot for a player that you hope has a shot at the roster, but you are reasonably confident that he will aid your special teams.

Drafting a rookie late with an eye on his ST value isn't unknown.
              I posted in another thread that the Bills season could well be determined by special teams.

And it is the Special Teams coach that picks the players for special teams as well.

I put the success or failure of special teams on the shoulders of Coach Crossman.
              Last edited by better days; 07-09-2014, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                Buffalo Bills Fan
                • Sep 2003

I posted in another thread that the Bills season could well be determined by special teams.

And it is the Special Teams coach that picks the players for special teams as well.

I put the success or failure of special teams on the shoulders of Coach Crossman.
                Yes, coaching matters. But it has its' limits. The management must draft and acquire players with enough talent. The best coach with the best plan can't turn turds into stellar results.

Personally, I think the BUF organization has enough on its' hands to try to figure out a starting roster. Their STs are weak because their roster is weak, because the management is weak. For 15 years and counting...
                Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                  Yes, coaching matters. But it has its' limits. The management must draft and acquire players with enough talent. The best coach with the best plan can't turn turds into stellar results.

Personally, I think the BUF organization has enough on its' hands to try to figure out a starting roster. Their STs are weak because their roster is weak, because the management is weak. For 15 years and counting...
                  The Bills had good special teams play before last year, MUCH BETTER than last year. I think they could have brought back just about every special teams player from the year before last if they wanted to.

As I said, the Special teams Coach chooses who he wants for special teams & determines what roles they will play.

Comment

• chris66
                    • Sep 2006

not a big fan of PFF. its just a couple of Brits sitting in London trying to breakdown film of which they have no idea what they are looking at

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chris66 View Post
                      not a big fan of PFF. its just a couple of Brits sitting in London trying to breakdown film of which they have no idea what they are looking at
                      Huh?
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• chris66
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                        Huh?
                        Yes PFF is based out of London

from wiki,
                        Based in the UK, PFF was founded by Neil Hornsby.

Comment

• CoolBreeze
                          • Feb 2009

The Bills had good special teams play before last year, MUCH BETTER than last year. I think they could have brought back just about every special teams player from the year before last if they wanted to.

As I said, the Special teams Coach chooses who he wants for special teams & determines what roles they will play.
                          Agreed, the performane of the ST rides on the coach IMO. We have great Kickoff and punt returners, we added Graham and he is a ST beast. The ST coach will make or break the unit

Comment

• TedMock
                            • Jul 2002

Neil Hornsby founded it and he is in London, but most of the main contributors are Americans. NY, Wisconsin, etc

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chris66 View Post
                              Yes PFF is based out of London

from wiki,
                              Based in the UK, PFF was founded by Neil Hornsby.
                              Yea I know that, but most of their analysts are not. Which is why your comment was responded to with "Huh?"
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X