X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

PFT Ranks us 28th Preseason

Seems like 27th/28th is about where we fall in the media outside of Buffalo.

It has been a while since the Bills contended for more than a Top 10 draft pick and this doesn’t look like the year that things change.

The comments are funny too.

You have to love the ones that name all the crappy teams on the schedule and talk about how if we win those games we'll be 10-6 or something.

Last season we lost to Atlanta, Tampa, Cleveland, all 4-12 teams. We did beat the Fins twice though.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

• SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Re: PFT Ranks us 28th Preseason

EJ is going to have to take a huge step forward for us to get to my prediction of 7-9.

There was a lot more national optimism for this team last pre-season if I recall correctly.

Comment

• cookie G
      • Mar 2003

Bear Bryant
      Vince Lombardi
      Nick Saban
      Bill Belichick
      Josh Alper- Pro Football Talk

The Mount Rushmore of Football

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post

There was a lot more national optimism for this team last pre-season if I recall correctly.
        You recall incorrectly

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
          You recall incorrectly
          I don't think any of the National media had the Bills finishing better than 3rd in the division last year.

Spiked probably thinks that was optimism.

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

EJ is going to have to take a huge step forward for us to get to my prediction of 7-9.

Well, more is relative, but as I recall maybe a little bit more, but not much. Here there was obviously more. Expectations for Manuel were much higher and kind of what they are for Watkins now. Manuel was going to transform the offense and we finally had the QB that we'd been dreaming of. Everyone talked about how Whaley knew more than everyone else since he had to have Manuel. Those expectations didn't exist in the greater media.

I'm guessing that the biggest difference between what we read here on the forums from some, and more objective national media, is that they look past just sacks and INTs and see the bigger picture.
            Last edited by Fletch; 07-09-2014, 01:15 PM.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• coastal
              Legendary Zoner
              • Mar 2005

Welcome to year 15

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Not sure about optimism, but here was last year's PFT ranking, same as this year's.

Here are some key excerpts from last year's that also play this year:

You can’t argue with the reasons why the team has shifted directions, but you can certainly wonder whether it will make a difference since the team’s gone through several such shifts since last making the playoffs in 1999 without much success.

While Spiller, Johnson, Byrd and the defensive linemen give the Bills a strong core, there’s not enough supporting parts to expect them to make a serious run at the playoffs this season unless Manuel is the latest rookie quarterback to take the league by storm.

The good news is that there appears to be some real direction with the team as opposed to former General Manager Buddy Nix talking about the need for a franchise quarterback less than a year after paying Fitzpatrick like one. More aggressiveness on both sides of the ball should help to build an identity that the Bills can use to climb the ladder in the AFC.

Get a couple of rungs out of the way this season and that climb will be easier in the years to come.

There are no more "supporting parts" than there were last year at this point. As with Fitzpatrick the team has seemed to try to stuff Manuel in as a franchise QB by taking a huge risk on him, this time with draft picks not money, but also with no better results. Not sure they got many "rungs out of the way," but risking next year's 1st rounder on Watkins could derail any rebuilding effort.

ESPN had us at 30th last preseason according to this. http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bill...uffalo-bills-4
                Last edited by Fletch; 07-09-2014, 01:32 PM.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                  Welcome to year 15
                  and counting and hoping for a new owner soon.

Post #46

------

Comment

• better days
                    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                    Welcome to year 15
                    Actually this will be year ONE.

The first year with the new owner.

Comment

• Uncle Jesse
                      • Sep 2004

The reality is that losing Alonso really only alters out win projection by 1/3 of a win. It's really not as drastic as people think, so that shouldn't have a major impact on where we are ranked/projected. Aaron Schatz of Football outsiders laid that out pretty clearly.

Comment

• jills
                        • Oct 2009

I remember a lot of optimism on this board, Marrone was a great offensive mind and he was going to take this offense to next level, Manuel is the best QB because this FO wanted him, etc.

New HC, OC, DC, QB, great draft picks = playoffs! That was the rationale back in 2013.
                        Last edited by jills; 07-10-2014, 10:20 AM.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by jills View Post
                          I remember a lot of optimism on this board, Marrone was a great offensive mind and he was going to take this offense to next level, Manuel is the best QB because this FO wanted him, etc.

New HC, OC, DC, QB, great draft picks = playoffs! That was the rationale back in 2013.
                          Well, I am accused of being a HOMER, but I was not high on Marrone or EJ.

I did think with some good luck the Bills could make the playoffs, but the luck they had was all bad.

Comment

• bleve
                            • Mar 2005

I don't pretend to be a GM wannabe, but last year with all the new coaches/schemes, and rookie QB I didn't expect much.

I think last season was marred by bad offensive play calling, inconsistent QB play, and inability to stop the run.

This year, talent aside, hopefully experience alone will add a couple extra wins.

We've got Hackett with a years experience, and also help in a "Senior Offensive Assistant", and an official QB coach which will help the offense.

EJ, while still a big question mark, has had his first full year of NFL offseason and should see at least moderate improvement.

And we have a Defensive coordinator known for stopping the run. I don't know if there will be an improvement, the the issue mainly was the offense.

I think we'll "be in the conversation" in December, maybe pushing .500
                            "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
                            ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

I think both Whaley & Marrone have their jobs on the line this season.

Watkins has to play like a player worthy of two first round picks for Whaley to keep his job.

The Bills have to win at least 8 games minimum for Marrone to keep his.

Comment

Working...
                              X