X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

How To Instantly Make The Buffalo Bills Worth More Than $1 Billion

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozan...ver-1-billion/ (there's a picture at the link for those of you that prefer picture books)

Forgive me. But I think the late Ralph Wilson had it wrong.

Instead of trying to grow the Buffalo Bills business by focusing north of the border, he should have expanded south. In fact, whom ever buys the NFL team should plant the Bills flag and claim all of New York state.

The New York Bills of Buffalo. Heck, they are the only NFL team that plays in the state. Why not brag about it?

The Bills are expected to sell for around $1 billion. The Cleveland Browns went for $987 million two years ago, about six months after the league inked new, far more lucrative, national broadcasting deals with CBS , NBC and Fox . The Browns have slightly more revenue than the Bills, but the multiple of revenue being paid for teams is higher now than 2012. Plus, the Bills have made $130 million of renovations to their stadium, most of which comes courtesy of taxpayers, which should should boost revenue.

The Bills are really hurting when it comes to advertising and sponsorship revenue, generating less than $15 million of revenue–about half of what the Green Bay Packers pulled in–during 2012, placing them in the bottom quartile of the league. A $20 million increase in sponsorship revenue would equate to about a $100 million increase in value because unlike national broadcasting fees, stadium advertising revenue is not shared equally with the other teams in the league.

With a New York name I bet the Bills could grab some big sponsors. Their current sponser roster has lots of names, but not much in the way of the big Wall Street and financial firms. The team owns the naming rights to Ralph Wilson Stadium and a sponsor would pay more for a team identified as New York rather than just Buffalo.

Arte Moreno did something similar after he bought the Anaheim Angels a decade ago and two years later officially changed the MLB team’s name to Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to generate more revenue.

Experts say the Bills would need permission by the league to change the name. I sent an email to the league this morning to see if the New York Giants and New York Jets, both of whom play at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, would also have to give permission but have not yet heard back.
    My message to whom ever owns the Bills next: think more Big Apple and less Toronto.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

• Topas
    German smartass
    • Feb 2014

Re: How To Instantly Make The Buffalo Bills Worth More Than $1 Billion

Interesting. Not sure I like NY Bills and neither am I sure that that is possible (Jets and Giants), but interesting nonetheless.
    I would like to have a more southern focus without changing the name, but I am not sure how to do this.

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Topas View Post
      Interesting. Not sure I like NY Bills and neither am I sure that that is possible (Jets and Giants), but interesting nonetheless.
      I would like to have a more southern focus without changing the name, but I am not sure how to do this.
      Yeah, agree. Not sure that there's much in the Southern Tier, and going towards PA doesn't help. I'm thinking more eastward, but only to make the team more appealing to some of the rest of the Finger Lakes region and Syracuse. Right now it's only about an hour further for people from Syracuse to attend a Giants or Jets game, plus they've got all that the NYC metro region has to offer if they overnight it.

I'm not sure that putting it in/near Rochester makes much sense. I do like the idea of putting it nearer Batavia though.

Funny thing though, if Golisano (or someone like him) buys the team and wants to build a stadium with his own money, other than zoning and permission and stuff, I'd think that he could put the team where he wanted to.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• trapezeus
        Legendary Zoner
        • Oct 2004

the bills have pushed east and try to compete in albany and they've grown their brand there over last 15-20years. I'll give brandon some credit there.

changing the name to NY bills makes no sense. buffalo bills is the name and the brand they've established for over 60 years. it makes sense as the buffalo bills. it makes no sense as the NY Bills. it almost reads like a political joke about NYS being so expensive.

nyc are also not fickle fan bases. they love the giants or jets. one or the other. it's a lost cause. they have the tri state area down pat. You can rename it NJ, no one in the area would care to be like, "oh really, my tax dollars don't support my team, well i'm done."

the bills also have the tornto market largely to itself. if they could focus on the winning, they'll get more of the casual fans. Those are the fun guys to get because they don't buy sesason tickets, they buy game by game at inflated costs.

The bills have marketable stuff. they have essentially throw back uni's that are popular/hipster-ish. younger fans are so "fantasty football" oriented that the bills just need to market the **** out of their own potential superstars. That requires getting them in the first place and then keeping them. then working with them to get their brand out there. and oh, by the way, winning gets more of the fair weather fans buying jerseys. how many brady jerseys are out there? how many ray lewis, favre, names of people with stories.

the bills have a story more in line with most americans than the big market teams as well. when a david starts its ascent, americans love for david to slay goliath. and the bills have 15 years of being atrocious. if they ever do turn it around, i bet people would really get into their story. NYC fans aren't going to gravitate to that. but towns that don't have teams, and those fair weather people who love football and want a good game, will root for them.

it's on the bills for having such a pathetic executive structure that they can't put out 1 winning team in 15 years. don't over think the problem.

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

The JETS and GIANTS play in the New York Metropolitan Statistical Area and that's what matters. This argument about the Bills being the only NY team is crazy ...

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
            the bills have pushed east and try to compete in albany and they've grown their brand there over last 15-20years. I'll give brandon some credit there.

changing the name to NY bills makes no sense. buffalo bills is the name and the brand they've established for over 60 years. it makes sense as the buffalo bills. it makes no sense as the NY Bills. it almost reads like a political joke about NYS being so expensive.

nyc are also not fickle fan bases. they love the giants or jets. one or the other. it's a lost cause. they have the tri state area down pat. You can rename it NJ, no one in the area would care to be like, "oh really, my tax dollars don't support my team, well i'm done."

the bills also have the tornto market largely to itself. if they could focus on the winning, they'll get more of the casual fans. Those are the fun guys to get because they don't buy sesason tickets, they buy game by game at inflated costs.

The bills have marketable stuff. they have essentially throw back uni's that are popular/hipster-ish. younger fans are so "fantasty football" oriented that the bills just need to market the **** out of their own potential superstars. That requires getting them in the first place and then keeping them. then working with them to get their brand out there. and oh, by the way, winning gets more of the fair weather fans buying jerseys. how many brady jerseys are out there? how many ray lewis, favre, names of people with stories.

the bills have a story more in line with most americans than the big market teams as well. when a david starts its ascent, americans love for david to slay goliath. and the bills have 15 years of being atrocious. if they ever do turn it around, i bet people would really get into their story. NYC fans aren't going to gravitate to that. but towns that don't have teams, and those fair weather people who love football and want a good game, will root for them.

it's on the bills for having such a pathetic executive structure that they can't put out 1 winning team in 15 years. don't over think the problem.

I'd guess that referring to younger folks seeking self aggrandizement with fantasy wins, fair weather fans buying jerseys, and a David vs. Goliath pitch qualifies as over-thinking the problem.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• alnilla
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
              The JETS and GIANTS play in the New York Metropolitan Statistical Area and that's what matters. This argument about the Bills being the only NY team is crazy ...

They play in East Rutherford NEW JERSEY.

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by alnilla View Post
                And what, that isn't part of the NYC Metropolitan Statistical Area? Is that what you're trying to say?

Post #46

------

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by alnilla View Post

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                    the bills also have the tornto market largely to itself.
                    Woohoo!

That's sure gotten us a lot over the years, hasn't it.

The Toronto metro area plus everything in between NF and there is probably 8M people, and we're lucky if we get 10,000 of them to one game, somewhere around 1/10th of a percent. Good thing we have those 10K people all to ourselves.

I think that the whole Canada thing is wholly overblown. But since we're at it, think about it, would we ever have a sellout without those few Canadian attendees? We keep hearing about what a great fanbase we have, and I agree insofar as the real fans go, but when we consider that WNY has 2M+ in population between the Buffalo and Rochester metro areas, and we can't even regularly sell out our home games without help from the Canadian fans, I don't think that it really presents a huge obstacle to anyone arguing that there are better places around the country to have an NFL team in.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

You may have to point out specifically that it's not in Cape May.

Post #46

------

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                        And what, that isn't part of the NYC Metropolitan Statistical Area? Is that what you're trying to say?
                        The intentional purging of geography from school curriculum has paid off.

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                          The intentional purging of geography from school curriculum has paid off.
                          LOL

Apparently so has the dirge of business and entrepreneurial education from our high school curricula.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

if you were trying to have a discussion about law, politics or taxation then you would have an argument. But you aren't. You are talking about business and marketing which pretty much revolves around the MSA. The Jets and Giants play within the New York MSA. I am just clarifying what I said because I don't understand some of the responses.

Buffalo does not play in the NY MSA. I do not feel use of New York in their name would be appropriate when two teams already play in that MSA and they are actually located within it. The Census drives the MSAs there is plenty of information at census.gov.

Comment

• alnilla
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                              Still play it in a different state.

Comment

Working...
                              X