X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

Jim Schwartz feeling confident in Buffalo

Six months after he was fired as head coach of the Lions, Jim Schwartz is settling in as defensive coordinator of the Bills.

Six months after he was fired as head coach of the Lions, Jim Schwartz is settling in as defensive coordinator of the Bills.

[more at link]
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

• OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Jim Schwartz feeling confident in Buffalo

Meh. Even if he thinks this is the worst D in the history of ever, he's not going to say that to the media.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Swiper
      Legendary Zoner
      • Sep 2010

I liked this hire very much. But I'd like to wait to form an opinion until a few games into the season.

Yeah. Pettine was good. But his rush defense wasn't. He glowed compared to Wannstedt and the prior DCs. But, hopefully, Jim Schwartz will maintain the passing defense quality and strengthen the run D.

Comment

• better days
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
        Meh. Even if he thinks this is the worst D in the history of ever, he's not going to say that to the media.
        If he thought that he would not have taken the job.

The Lions are paying him for this year anyway.

He took this job because it was a GOOD opportunity to rehab his image.

Comment

• stuckincincy
          Buffalo Bills Fan
          • Sep 2003

Every time I took a job at high six figures and above, I exuded confidence.
          Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mahdi
            • Mar 2004

I actually think this defense could struggle....

Who do we have at DE? Mario is solid of course but outside of that we have Hughes who is really a converted LB. Is he in on 1st and second down? Then you have Manny Lawson who will be another converted LB.

Basically if Mario missed any time at all we are screwed at that position. And even with him there, the AFCE will be running left all day on Hughes and Lawson.

Our DTs are good penetrators but they are not run stuffers by any means so banking on them to shut things down won't work. And still, if teams decide to run off tackle all day it won't matter.

In the LB corps we have a rookie slated to start in Preston Brown, or journeyman Keith Rivers. Spikes is solid but new so who knows if he will pan out.

Our secondary is solid but I have a feeling we will be allowing a record number of rushing yards this year which will make them inconsequential.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post

Who do we have at DE? Mario is solid of course but outside of that we have Hughes who is really a converted LB. Is he in on 1st and second down? Then you have Manny Lawson who will be another converted LB.

Basically if Mario missed any time at all we are screwed at that position. And even with him there, the AFCE will be running left all day on Hughes and Lawson.

Our DTs are good penetrators but they are not run stuffers by any means so banking on them to shut things down won't work. And still, if teams decide to run off tackle all day it won't matter.

In the LB corps we have a rookie slated to start in Preston Brown, or journeyman Keith Rivers. Spikes is solid but new so who knows if he will pan out.

Our secondary is solid but I have a feeling we will be allowing a record number of rushing yards this year which will make them inconsequential.
              So after signing Schwartz as DC who is known to have good run defenses & Spikes the best run stuffing LB in the NFL, you think the Bills will give up record rushing yards?

Care to make a wager?

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                If he thought that he would not have taken the job.

The Lions are paying him for this year anyway.

He took this job because it was a GOOD opportunity to rehab his image.
                Don't know why he took the job or if he had any other offers.

Point is, every DC in the league is saying something very similar to the media right now. They're ALWAYS going to say that they think their D is good, regardless of their actual opinion. Coaches don't have the luxury of being honest with the media. They have to keep team morale high and keep fans interested.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Homegrown
                  Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                  • Jul 2008

He should have mixed it up a bit... "I'm confident in the defense, but then again we're scrimmaging against the Bills offense "

Comment

• Swiper
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                    I only ever get low six figures. Damn it.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      Don't know why he took the job or if he had any other offers.

Point is, every DC in the league is saying something very similar to the media right now. They're ALWAYS going to say that they think their D is good, regardless of their actual opinion. Coaches don't have the luxury of being honest with the media. They have to keep team morale high and keep fans interested.
                      The point is Schwartz did not need to take the Bills job or any other job unless he WANTED the job.

The Lions owe Schwartz his entire salary for 2014 & 2015.

That money will be offset by the money the Bills pay him. In other words, he is working for free.

It would be incredibly STUPID to take a job that was the worst ever.

The only benefit of the Bills job for Schwartz is to show he is a GOOD COACH.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                      So you have no idea what confidence feels like.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                        • Nov 2007

The point is Schwartz did not need to take the Bills job or any other job unless he WANTED the job.

The Lions owe Schwartz his entire salary for 2014 & 2015.

That money will be offset by the money the Bills pay him. In other words, he is working for free.

It would be incredibly STUPID to take a job that was the worst ever.

The only benefit of the Bills job for Schwartz is to show he is a GOOD COACH.

- - - Updated - - -

So you have no idea what confidence feels like.
                        it's probably true that the only reason he took this job was to have a chance to be a head coach again somewhere. that being said, of course he walked into a pretty decent situation for a defensive coordinator.

but it's true, you cannot publicly bash the people you are coaching up even if you wanted to. that would be just wrong
                        I came.
                        I saw.
                        I conquered.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                          it's probably true that the only reason he took this job was to have a chance to be a head coach again somewhere. that being said, of course he walked into a pretty decent situation for a defensive coordinator.

but it's true, you cannot publicly bash the people you are coaching up even if you wanted to. that would be just wrong
                          Of course that is true. But only the most jaded pessimists think this Bills team lacks defensive talent.

The Bills DC job is a dream job any Defensive Coach would have been happy to take.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                            • Nov 2007

Of course that is true. But only the most jaded pessimists think this Bills team lacks defensive talent.

The Bills DC job is a dream job any Defensive Coach would have been happy to take.
                            a very good job? absolutely! a dream job? Eh. i would reserve that title for DC of Seattle or SF
                            I came.
                            I saw.
                            I conquered.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Mahdi View Post

There is no reason to believe this D will be as good as last year.

Comment

Working...
                              X