• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Looks like QB Orton is getting axed

Nice severance package..."The Cowboys' decision to release Orton means the quarterback will not have to pay back the $3.25 million in prorated signing bonus he received."...

The Dallas Cowboys have officially released Kyle Orton. Is Brandon Weeden ready to shoulder the load as the oft-injured Tony Romo's top backup?

Anybody feel that BUF has an interest in him?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • kscdogbillsfan1221
    • Nov 2007

Re: Looks like QB Orton is getting axed

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
    Nice severance package..."The Cowboys' decision to release Orton means the quarterback will not have to pay back the $3.25 million in prorated signing bonus he received."...

The Dallas Cowboys have officially released Kyle Orton. Is Brandon Weeden ready to shoulder the load as the oft-injured Tony Romo's top backup?

no. the bills have made it clear that they do not want any competition with EJ. Or at least this is my interpretation of everything i have seen this off season
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Orton would be a good back-up with the veteran experience we lack.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

He's too immobile that might not even make it to the line of scrimmage on time to snap the ball himself if the bills run the no-huddle.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
          • Sep 2012

He is a vet presence that would be a better option than Tuel or Lewis, but to what end really?

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
            He is a vet presence that would be a better option than Tuel or Lewis, but to what end really?
            Lovie Smith @CHI had him start his rookie year, and IMO, ruined him. He played a game at CIN, obviously struggling, and Smith kept him in while he committed 5 interceptions.

Orton wised up and realized that if he was just meat, he'd sell his meat.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Fletch
              • May 2007

I have to laugh, everytime some mediocre QB gets released we're so bad that the discussion inevitably seriously turns to whether or not we should sign the guy.
              http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
              (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
              Originally Posted by pmoon6
              The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
              ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

one thing i think that's important for any team is that the backup is capable of running the offense the starter has the keys to.

orton not being much like EJ (not a real threat to run the read option, etc), means that if (when) ej is hurt, the rest of the offense needs to learn a new system and gameplan to accomdate whatever orton's strengths are. IN a week, that's not usually fast enough. it creates more issues than it solves.

for better or worse, lewis can come in and do what ej does. and that continuity helps.

I came to this realization as we saw tebow struggle to land with teams. having him as a back up isn't a great option because so much has to change to fit his strength of being a running qb.

I just don't see orton as an nfl viable qb anymore and with the major differences from ej and lewis, it's not worth having him come in and keep us in the middle of the pack.

this is an all in bet the bills have made. they have to go for it without meaningless hedges at this point.

Comment

• Swiper
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2010

I thought Orton was retiring.

Before the Cowboys signed him I thought he and Matt Moore were the two most unheralded, yet decent veteran back-ups around.

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                    one thing i think that's important for any team is that the backup is capable of running the offense the starter has the keys to.
                    At this point I'd be willing to take my chances with one qualified and competent starting QB and absolutely no backups at all, or backups that suck.

We haven't had a good starting QB since Kelly. That's too dam long. It's exactly because people like Whaley don't have a clue.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                      Skoobasaurus-Rex
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                      At this point I'd be willing to take my chances with one qualified and competent starting QB and absolutely no backups at all, or backups that suck.

We haven't had a good starting QB since Kelly. That's too dam long. It's exactly because people like Whaley don't have a clue.
                      We have UDFA & quite nobodies, why would Orton be a bad choice?

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                        We have UDFA & quite nobodies, why would Orton be a bad choice?
                        Why is he a good one?

If Manuel can't do better than Orton I rest my case.

Besides, he'd be a backup. I don't understand what your question has to do with my statement unless you're suggesting that we sign Orton to start. Does the prospect of Orton starting do anything for you? Sounds like more of the same to me.

Post #46

------

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

A vet back-up QB at this point is moot, especially someone like Orton, as trap has already pointed out.

I'm OK rolling with EJ and Lewis right now for this season.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                            I have to laugh, everytime some mediocre QB gets released we're so bad that the discussion inevitably seriously turns to whether or not we should sign the guy.
                            Sort of comical though when it's Dallas and Jurrah done went and spent more Munnah than if he'd just have sat there and not done Unnahthang.

Orton just wants to retire, he could have sat there, played a few games a few years and made millions for hanging out and keeping his bangs short enough to look out a helmet, breaking a sweat a few times a year on a team that just wants him to break a sweat a few times a year and keep his bangs short enough to look out a helmet.

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              A vet back-up QB at this point is moot, especially someone like Orton, as trap has already pointed out.

I'm OK rolling with EJ and Lewis right now for this season.
                              I'm far from good with it, but we're not going to do any better at this point, which we seem to agree on.

I think that Manuel's finished after this season. If we go any less than 6-10 then I think that Whaley's finished too, especially if we get a new owner by then regardless of who it is.

Post #46

------

Comment

Working...
                              X