X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • justasportsfan
    • Jul 2002

Bills GM Whaley takes all-in rebuilding approach

''You have equal chances of missing when you play it safe as when you try to swing for a home run,'' the Bills general manager said. ''So why not go for the home run?''

''This is a desperate franchise with desperate players and coaches to win,'' center Eric Wood said. ''I'm not using desperate in a negative way. I'm using desperate in a positive way. Desperate like: Willing to do whatever-it-takes mentality. This is probably the most positive energy I've felt since I've been here.''

sacrifice1
    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: Bills GM Whaley takes all-in rebuilding approach

I would HOPE the organization is desperate - to me, if they arent, then there is just a lack of desire to win.

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

''It is our duty to do what we can to get this team into the playoffs. And I have no problem in saying that,'' Whaley said. ''That's a goal. I'm not guaranteeing it, but that's a goal.''
      Sounds like he's backing off, or trying to, from his statements earlier that he believes that Watkins will propel us into the playoffs.

It's his duty to build the team using a sound strategy, not the approach that a gambling addict would use. Last year he gambled on reaching for Manuel, this year he's gambled on trading away two additional picks for Watkins.

If Watkins doesn't work out he should be fired for that. If Watkins doesn't succeed because of Manuel, and now now 1st rounded next season which will then be a high one, then he should be fired for that. I cringe at what his next gambling move will be. What, trading away our '16 and '17 1st rounders for a late 1st rounder next year.
      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
      Originally Posted by pmoon6
      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Originally posted by NaturalBornSpiller View Post
        I would HOPE the organization is desperate - to me, if they arent, then there is just a lack of desire to win.
        They should be focused on changing the things that have kept us in bottom-dwelling status and the league's most futile playoff status for years. They're not doing that though, they're doing the same things that got us here. Also, let's not forget, Whaley didn't just step onto this boat last season. He's been here as the top personnel guy for five years now.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
          Sounds like he's backing off, or trying to, from his statements earlier that he believes that Watkins will propel us into the playoffs.
          I think Watkins could be a huge factor to propel us to the playoffs, the questions is, do we have the qb to get Watkins the ball?
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

So his home run swing is Watkins and Brandon Spikes? Come on.

Don't get me wrong- I'm glad we have those guys. I just don't see how they get a 6-10 team to the 9-10 wins we will need to be a WC team.
            Last edited by OpIv37; 07-18-2014, 10:08 AM.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Bill Cody
              • Sep 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
              I think Watkins could be a huge factor to propel us to the playoffs, the questions is, do we have the qb to get Watkins the ball?
              It really is what this is all about. Whaley's future, Marrone's future and the teams's future for the next several years are directly tied to what the answer to your question is. There are both physical and mental questions about EJ's game that are not yet answered in a satisfactory way. Unlike the "experts" on this board I remain hopeful.

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                That's something that Whaley should have thought about before reaching for Manuel last season, and in making the move for Watkins this season. That's his job, it's what gets paid 7 figs to do.

I don't see it happening. This offense has lots of questionmarks to it starting with the OC. Then the QB, a young OL for which it will take time to develop chemistry. No major threat at TE. Young and inexperienced WRs that will also take time to develop chemistry, and that's if Manuel plays well. If not it's a lost cause from the beginning. A WR that they've placed far too much faith in to do the types of things as a WR that he simply did not do in college. No 3-down RB behind a rapidly aging limited use Jackson.

That combination of things doesn't strike me as a team led by an offense that's going to propel us into the playoffs anytime soon. The defense sure isn't going to do it, even if it plays like last season, or maybe I should say especially if it plays like last season.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                  It really is what this is all about. Whaley's future, Marrone's future and the teams's future for the next several years are directly tied to what the answer to your question is. There are both physical and mental questions about EJ's game that are not yet answered in a satisfactory way. Unlike the "experts" on this board I remain hopeful.
                  Whether or not we're "hopeful" is meaningless. The only thing that pertains to is how we agree or disagree with one another. It has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of the season.

The pattern on message boards is that everyone is hopeful. People were just as hopeful when we hired Levy. Then again when we hired Nix and Gailey. Even last year there was a huge degree of hope, some of which has dissipated.

Hope is irrelevant. What we discuss here, or should amidst the emotional tantrums, is the basis for why people are hopeful.

Take Spikes for example. We can hope that he can cover the pass, and to a lesser extent we can hope that Spikes Lite, Preston Brown, can also cover the pass this season. But neither has done that well, so there is no basis for that hope. We can hope anyway, but hell, why not just hope that Leon Searcy plays like Ronnie Lott used to. Without any LBs that can cover the pass well, sorry, but we're just going to be hurting on passing downs, which is most plays in the NFL. Hope as we may to the contrary.

We can hope that Bryce Brown turns into Terrell Davis, but it's very unlikely to happen.

But to turn around and criticize those that try to find why we should hope for something amidst a lack of reasons why doesn't sound very honest to me.
                  Last edited by Fletch; 07-18-2014, 10:37 AM.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Bill Cody
                    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                    Whether or not we're "hopeful" is meaningless. The only thing that pertains to is how we agree or disagree with one another. It has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of the season.

The pattern on message boards is that everyone is hopeful. People were just as hopeful when we hired Levy. Then again when we hired Nix and Gailey. Even last year there was a huge degree of hope, some of which has dissipated.

Hope is irrelevant. What we discuss here, or should amidst the emotional tantrums, is the basis for why people are hopeful.

Take Spikes for example. We can hope that he can cover the pass, and to a lesser extent we can hope that Spikes Lite, Preston Brown, can also cover the pass this season. But neither has done that well, so there is no basis for that hope. We can hope anyway, but hell, why not just hope that Leon Searcy plays like Ronnie Lott used to. Without any LBs that can cover the pass well, sorry, but we're just going to be hurting on passing downs, which is most plays in the NFL. Hope as we may to the contrary.

We can hope that Bryce Brown turns into Terrell Davis, but it's very unlikely to happen.

But to turn around and criticize those that try to find why we should hope for something amidst a lack of reasons why doesn't sound very honest to me.
                    If that's how you want to look at it that's fine. I'm not criticizing you. Everyone's different. To me hope is the fundamental basis of fandom. It's what makes sports fun. Because truly you never know how things are going to turn out. We can agree there are issues and be concerned about any number of things. I'm not saying put your head in the sand and pretend everything's great. But hope for progress is what makes me watch. OK?

Comment

• Bill Cody
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post

Don't get me wrong- I'm glad we have those guys. I just don't see how they get a 6-10 team to the 9-10 wins we will need to be a WC team.
                      Manuel is the wild card. He needs to step up his game and stay on the field. It's not unfeasible. He's a raw player but he now has a bit of experience and he'll be going through his 2nd camp. If he is the player he was last year I agree with you completely.

Comment

• Ed
                        Dude
                        • Sep 2002

The home run reference only refers to the draft. Being aggressive/risky to get the guy you really want as opposed to just staying put and seeing who falls to you. Whaley specifically said during free agency that they weren't going to pursue big name guys, but go after what he called "dust settlers" to plug holes and add depth. His approach to free agency was basically the opposite of going for the "home run" like they did with Mario Williams.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

i've said this before, the bills were a few plays away from beinga 2-14 team as easily as they were to be a 10-6 team last year. the bills gave up the 10th least amount of points last year. the offense were ranked in the back third of scoring points. they need points. and they may need loads of points because it's not a given that hte defense can be a top 10 d in terms of points against again.

if the new line and the receiving weapons help manuel run an offense that can pick up yards on the ground first and have him throw second, they can control the clock. if they had that kind of offense last year that could take advantage of the turnovers, they could have been an 8-10 win team.

i think they need every break to go just their way for an 8-10 win team this season. and that's not a good position to be in.

this is why they play the games.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

The only "desperate in a positive way" I can think of is a desperate housewife, and the only positive is for the dude who gets to boink her.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                              • Aug 2013

I don't have a problem with taking Manuel where he did. From a philosophical standpoint, I'd rather him get the QB he wants on a reach than take a mid-first round DB or something. We also got Alonso out of it, so that was a major bonus as well. It was just a very unlucky year to have to need to draft a QB. I don't consider that "taking a risk" as the alternative was Geno Smith.

The trading of next year's first rounder however is inexcusable and if it works out, he'll be a hero, but if it doesn't it is absolutely a fire-able offense. You don't get "props" for taking poor risks.

Comment

Working...
                              X