• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DraftBoy
    Administrator
    • Jul 2002

Toronto Group Vow Not To Move Bills

Rocker Jon Bon Jovi has indeed joined a Toronto-based group that hopes to buy the Buffalo Bills. And Bon Jovi and company indeed are claiming that they intend to keep the team in Buffalo.

Via the Associated Press, Bon Jovi’s group has retained a banking firm and submitted paperwork expressing interest in buying the franchise from the estate of Ralph Wilson. Via John Kryk of the Toronto Sun, Bon Jovi’s group has told others, and will inform the trust that will sell the team, that the Bills won’t leave Buffalo.

The first hint that Bon Jovi’s intentions had changed came when his former partner in the AFL’s Philadelphia Soul, Ron Jaworski, told Buffalo radio that Bon Jovi never intended and doesn’t intend to move the team.
    COMING SOON...
    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Toronto Group Vow Not To Move Bills

Spiked Lemonade & Coastal & Fletch are the only people gullible enough to believe that.

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
      Spiked Lemonade & Coastal & Fletch are the only people gullible enough to believe that.
      It's possible (though not likely) that they ran some modeling and don't see the risk as worth it. I believe this likely just a PR move but its certainly interesting.
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

I often wonder if you and everyone else here are reading the same things about what posters here write.
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Famous Amos
          • Jul 2013

You just can't take these people's word at face value. They only have the best interests in mind, not Buffalo's. I feel like they are the step dad that promises the family won't move but secretly that can't wait to cut bait with the brat step kids and move away with their **** trophy.
          "Hate is a lack of imagination."
          -Graham Greene

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

I've never understood much of the hate spewed toward Bon Jovi and his possible desire to be part of a group to purchase the team, other than the connection to Toronto money. He's got a helluva business mind, and it would be terrible PR for him to buy it and yank it. Especially to Toronto, and you don't have to be too astute to see that would be a poor move financially. The only money move for JBJ may be LA, but a Toronto group and Jersey boy aren't going to go to the left coast with their prized possession. Unless somebody is looking to make a quick turnaround on their investment and be a short-time owner, neither city makes any sense for re-location.

The market and fan base are already too well established to move, and I laugh at those that rant 'Wilson is cheap, all he cares about is padding his bank account' out of one side of their mouth, then "Anybody that wants to make a profit will have to move the team' out of the other.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              I've never understood much of the hate spewed toward Bon Jovi and his possible desire to be part of a group to purchase the team, other than the connection to Toronto money. He's got a helluva business mind, and it would be terrible PR for him to buy it and yank it. Especially to Toronto, and you don't have to be too astute to see that would be a poor move financially. The only money move for JBJ may be LA, but a Toronto group and Jersey boy aren't going to go to the left coast with their prized possession. Unless somebody is looking to make a quick turnaround on their investment and be a short-time owner, neither city makes any sense for re-location.

The market and fan base are already too well established to move, and I laugh at those that rant 'Wilson is cheap, all he cares about is padding his bank account' out of one side of their mouth, then "Anybody that wants to make a profit will have to move the team' out of the other.
              Seriously? The hate spewed at Bon Jovi is because he aligned himself with a Toronto group which credible sources from Toronto said wanted to move the Bills there.

The only reason they are backing off of that is because they know they will have to play in Buffalo untill 2020 & don't want to play in an empty stadium.

Or they have to pay a hefty price to the Wilson family if the Bills move as well as the penalty.

I can't believe anyone would think a Toronto group would keep the Bills in Buffalo any longer than they need to.
              Last edited by better days; 07-20-2014, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

And when the state of NY, corporate support and fan base don't provide what is required for the new owners expectations... the move becomes a financial necessity.

then it's not the new owners fault... it's just the reality of the economics.

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                  And when the state of NY, corporate support and fan base don't provide what is required for the new owners expectations... the move becomes a financial necessity.

then it's not the new owners fault... it's just the reality of the economics.
                  And if it were true that the Toronto group had no intention of moving the Bills, they could not over pay for them & expect to make any money.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

I doubt he'll win the bidding...so to me it's a non-issue. The legacy of Ralph selling to a buyer who will without a doubt keep the team here long term seems important.

Sweet talk won't work.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                      • Jun 2024

Seriously? The hate spewed at Bon Jovi is because he aligned himself with a Toronto group which credible sources from Toronto said wanted to move the Bills there.

The only reason they are backing off of that is because they know they will have to play in Buffalo untill 2020 & don't want to play in an empty stadium.

Or they have to pay a hefty price to the Wilson family if the Bills move as well as the penalty.

I can't believe anyone would think a Toronto group would keep the Bills in Buffalo any longer than they need to.
                      Just because you moved away from Buffalo does not mean they would.

Comment

• better days
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                        I doubt he'll win the bidding...so to me it's a non-issue. The legacy of Ralph selling to a buyer who will without a doubt keep the team here long term seems important.

Sweet talk won't work.
                        If the Toronto group out bids Pegula & Golisono, everyone will know the Toronto group has every intention of moving the Bills asap.

As Coastal said, reality of the economics.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                          Just because you moved away from Buffalo does not mean they would.
                          Well if the Toronto group bids more for the Bills than they are worth in Buffalo they would have to move to make money.

And why would the Trust sell the Bills to a Toronto group instead of a Buffalo group unless the Toronto group was willing to pay much more for the Bills?

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                            • Jun 2024

Well if the Toronto group bids more for the Bills than they are worth in Buffalo they would have to move to make money.

And why would the Trust sell the Bills to a Toronto group instead of a Buffalo group unless the Toronto group was willing to pay much more for the Bills?
                            The Bills made $30M last year. Given they are worth at least $1B, do you consider $30M making money?

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                              The Bills made $30M last year. Given they are worth at least $1B, do you consider $30M making money?
                              Well, I would be very happy to pull in $30 Mill myself.

As I said before, Pegula & Golisono are not attempting to buy the Bills to make money. I think both would be happy with a $30 Mill profit.

But as I said before, why would the trust sell to a group from Toronto instead of a group from Buffalo unless the Toronto group was willing to pay MUCH more for the Bills than the Buffalo group?

So would the Toronto group think $30 Mill would be making money? And if they OVER PAY for the Bills would there be a $30 Mill profit?

We all know the Toronto group would not be buying the Bills for altruistic reasons like Pegula & Golisono, the Toronto group would want to make money.

And the Toronto group includes Rodgers who is a CANADIAN media mogul. What point would there be for the Toronto group to buy the Bills & keep them in Buffalo?

As someone posted on the two Bills drive message board, it would be like buying a car and leaving it at the dealership.

Comment

Working...
                              X