• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The King
    Without me it's just Awe so
    • Jun 2004

10 Things You Should Know - Cornelius Bennet

1. Cornelius Bennett played halfback for the Ensely High School Yellow Jackets.
    2. Bennett committed to the University of Alabama where he started as a freshman.
    3. Bennett was a 3x First Team All-American and a 2x Bowl Game MVP
    4. During his senior year Cornelius was named SEC Player of the Year & won the Lombardi Award. He finished his career with 287 Tackles, 23 TFL, 15 Sacks, 6 FF, and 3 FR.
    5. He was also named the Alabama Player of the decade for the 1980’s. Later he was inducted in the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame and the College Football Hall of Fame.
    6. Bennett was select 2nd in the 1987 NFL Draft. The highest selection ever for an Alabama defender (Marcel Dareus 3rd in 2011).
    7. After contract negotiations failed, the Bills, Colts and Rams completed the “trade of the decade”. Bills sent RB Greg Bell to the Rams, the Rams sent RB Eric Dickerson to the Colts and the Bills got the rights to Cornelius Bennett.
    8. In his rookie season, Bennett racked up 8.5 sacks and 5 forced fumbles in only 8 games.
    9. For the 1990 season Bennett changed from 55 to 97 his college number. Which was previously being worn by Scott Radecic.
    10. Cornelius finished his NFL career with 71.5 sacks, 31 FF, 27 FR, 7 INT, and 3 TD’s. He appeared in 5 Super Bowls.
    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
    It was all
    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

• k-oneputt
    • Jun 2009

Re: 10 Things You Should Know - Cornelius Bennet

11. Liked to party at the Stuffed Mushroom with Thurman and Bruce.
    12. Was one of the best move's of the Polian era that pushed that team to the Super Bowl era.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

13. Overshadowed Talley, who was a better overall LB.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• k-oneputt
        • Jun 2009

As much as I loved Talley, CB was the better player.

CB was dominate in his prime.

Comment

• trapezeus
          Legendary Zoner
          • Oct 2004

bennett is one of the quieter members from those 90's teams. i wonder why that is.

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
            • Jul 2002

14-Just keeping it real:

He was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in a Buffalo hotel room in 1997. Bennett pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of sex abuse and was sentenced to 60 days in jail. He served 36. In addition to the jail sentence, Bennett was fined $1,000 and was ordered to pay $617.26 of the woman's hospital bills, perform 100 hours of community service and undergo anger-management and substance-abuse counseling.

Comment

• Fletch
              • May 2007

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
              14-Just keeping it real:

He was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in a Buffalo hotel room in 1997. Bennett pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of sex abuse and was sentenced to 60 days in jail. He served 36. In addition to the jail sentence, Bennett was fined $1,000 and was ordered to pay $617.26 of the woman's hospital bills, perform 100 hours of community service and undergo anger-management and substance-abuse counseling.
              Who knows what really happened, the way that these women chase these guys and go after their money. Not making a judgement either way, but unless he drugged here and carried here up the stairs to his room, or with her otherwise kicking and screaming, I mean what did she think was going to happen up there, that they were going to play Crazy-8's 'til 5 a.m.

Anyone remember that LB, Brian Banks. And what happened to that lying skank? I don't think anything.
              http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
              (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
              Originally Posted by pmoon6
              The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
              ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Topas
                German smartass
                • Feb 2014

well, sad that he managed to loose one more Super Bowl with the Falcons, if I remember correctly.

@King: where is this quote from in your sig?

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                  13. Overshadowed Talley, who was a better overall LB.
                  Agreed. Both were great however, any such difference is modest and debatable. Talley seemed to play faster despite the fewer sacks. He seemed to be better in coverage though. If I could pick only one to be on the team today I'd take Talley. Love to have 'em both though. They put anyone on our LB roster not named Kiko to shame.

Be fun to see Bruce again too, the angles that he took in getting to the QB, and I mean his body angled against the ground, were ridiculous.

That was when the FO had a brain. Now it's run by 14 clowns in a VW Bug.
                  http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                  (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                  Originally Posted by pmoon6
                  The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                  ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• The King
                    Without me it's just Awe so
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Topas View Post
                    well, sad that he managed to loose one more Super Bowl with the Falcons, if I remember correctly.

@King: where is this quote from in your sig?
                    Yes it was the Falcons. The quote is from Jack Handy.
                    I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                    "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                    You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                    It was all
                    true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                    He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                    mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

Working...
                    X