Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 7/25/2014 (and Photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 7/25/2014 (and Photos)

By Michael J. Thomas

It was the 5th day of Buffalo Bills Training Camp at St. John Fisher College. On other hand, it was only the first day of camp for Marcell Dareus who passed his physical and was ready to go. He came out fired up, cheering on his teammates and high fiving them when they made good plays. Head Coach Doug Marrone had the team work on their individual drills, focusing on certain fundamentals, 1-on-1 passing drills, 9-on-9 drills, 11-on-11 drills and even did some 7-on-7 work in the red zone. The team also took time out to work on special teams, particularly kickoffs and field goals.

As always, the team spent about 20 minutes on their individual drills and then stretching. Then they did some 1-on-1 drills. I took some notes from the plays that stood out to me. Scott Chandler made a great catch in the middle of the field for a 15-yard gain on a pass from EJ Manuel. Jeff Tuel continued to impress me with his deep balls when he floated a pass downfield to Mike Williams who caught it in stride for about 40-yards. EJ Manuel then threw a beautiful touch pass to Marcus Easley that he took for the 50-yard touchdown. He then threw a pass to Chris Summers who caught it, but Ross Cockrell knocked it out of his hands. Thad Lewis then threw an ugly pass that was intercepted by Corey Graham. Tuel then threw a pass to Tori Gurley who made a nice catch along the sideline. Thad Lewis then came in and recovered for his earlier interception by throwing a pretty looking 50-yard touchdown pass to TJ Graham. But the one catch that impressed me the most was Sammy Watkins. He stopped on a dime and faked the DB, caught the pass and kept running. The crowd gave him a big cheer for it......CLICK FOR MORE:
    Last edited by Michael82; 07-26-2014, 09:49 AM.
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buffalo Bills Training Camp Report: 7/25/2014 (and Photos)

Comment

• stuckincincy
      Buffalo Bills Fan
      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Michael82 View Post
      By Michael J. Thomas

It was the 5th day of Buffalo Bills Training Camp at St. John Fisher College. On other hand, it was only the first day of camp for Marcell Dareus who passed his physical and was ready to go. He came out fired up, cheering on his teammates and high fiving them when they made good plays. Head Coach Doug Marrone had the team work on their individual drills, focusing on certain fundamentals, 1-on-1 passing drills, 9-on-9 drills, 11-on-11 drills and even did some 7-on-7 work in the red zone. The team also took time out to work on special teams, particularly kickoffs and field goals.

As always, the team spent about 20 minutes on their individual drills and then stretching. Then they did some 1-on-1 drills. I took some notes from the plays that stood out to me. Scott Chandler made a great catch in the middle of the field for a 15-yard gain on a pass from EJ Manuel. Jeff Tuel continued to impress me with his deep balls when he floated a pass downfield to Mike Williams who caught it in stride for about 40-yards. EJ Manuel then threw a beautiful touch pass to Marcus Easley that he took for the 50-yard touchdown. He then threw a pass to Chris Summers who caught it, but Ross Cockrell knocked it out of his hands. Thad Lewis then threw an ugly pass that was intercepted by Corey Graham. Tuel then threw a pass to Tori Gurley who made a nice catch along the sideline. Thad Lewis then came in and recovered for his earlier interception by throwing a pretty looking 50-yard touchdown pass to TJ Graham. But the one catch that impressed me the most was Sammy Watkins. He stopped on a dime and faked the DB, caught the pass and kept running. The crowd gave him a big cheer for it......CLICK FOR MORE:
      ..."Back to special teams work. The team uses this time to also give their players a little breather for 5-minutes or so while they explain the blocking assignments and get ready for field goal practice. Dan Carpenter was again perfect on all his field goals, 6-6 with a long of 51-yards. He also kicked several of them way up onto the lift where the camera man is filming. The crowd enjoyed it, but something tells me that camera man did not. Following the field goals, the team spent time on kickoff coverage and blocking assignments. The coaches had the kick returners receive kicks from the jugs machine, while the kickers rested their foot after making several kickoffs earlier in practice. "...

Hard to judge ST other than kickers in camp, IMO. I don't blame the coaching for past performance as much as lack of bench talent. It's been a problem, and I hope they can improve.
      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Mikey can you give us a ranking of the RB and WR group per what you've seen?

Looks like they are cycling a lot of backs in and out.
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Luisito23
          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
          • Apr 2003

Mikey, your reports and pics have always been the best!
          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
            Mikey can you give us a ranking of the RB and WR group per what you've seen?

Looks like they are cycling a lot of backs in and out.
            Just being cautious? Fred has a history of lower leg injury, and reporting of Spiller's irksome problems last season were vague...I don't recall a definite diagnoses ever being voiced.

Comment

• DraftBoy
              Administrator
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
              Just being cautious? Fred has a history of lower leg injury, and reporting of Spiller's irksome problems last season were vague...I don't recall a definite diagnoses ever being voiced.
              I think more like they want to see what they have. The way I see it you have a speed guy in Spiller, you have two combo backs in Jackson, and Brown and a power back in Boobie Dixon. Then you have Wingo who is 6'1, 231 and runs 4.45(isn). I think the first four are obvious to make the squad but if Dixon or Wingo shows pass protect ability does that kick Summers off the team and make room for them?

I'm not at camp so I can't speak to that.
              COMING SOON...

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Thanks Mike !
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• stuckincincy
                  Buffalo Bills Fan
                  • Sep 2003

I think more like they want to see what they have. The way I see it you have a speed guy in Spiller, you have two combo backs in Jackson, and Brown and a power back in Boobie Dixon. Then you have Wingo who is 6'1, 231 and runs 4.45(isn). I think the first four are obvious to make the squad but if Dixon or Wingo shows pass protect ability does that kick Summers off the team and make room for them?

Any idea if they consider keeping a FB - backfield Guard, these days?

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

Not sure what you mean by combo back regarding Brown, but he and Jackson are two different types of RBs.

Brown, like Spiller, has no significant history of running the ball on 3rd downs or of catching the ball much. Jackson has both.
                    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                    Originally Posted by pmoon6
                    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

Thanks for taking the time to write all these Mike, they're enjoyable and the detail is incredible. It must take quite a bit of time.

Anyway, thanks!
                      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                      Originally Posted by pmoon6
                      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Michael82 View Post

It looks like EJ Manuel is standing on two peg legs.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                          Any idea if they consider keeping a FB - backfield Guard, these days?
                          They've kept a FB in Summers the past few years. I think the question is can Dixon/Wingo take it over?
                          COMING SOON...

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                            Not sure what you mean by combo back regarding Brown, but he and Jackson are two different types of RBs.

Brown, like Spiller, has no significant history of running the ball on 3rd downs or of catching the ball much. Jackson has both.
                            Actually in Philly he did show some ability to catch and run. He may have only had 21 career catches but that's on 33 targets in 32 games (some of which he dressed but never saw the field).

In 2013 Bryce Brown was on the field for 115 snaps with the Eagles. 75 of those snaps were running plays that he took the rock. So of the remaining 40 plays he was targeted with passes 13 times or 32.5% of the time. You're not throwing the ball to a guy who can't catch 1/3 of the time he's out there.

And realistically that percentage is probably higher because Philly runs a shared backfield system where he may be out there on a designed run play for another back.
                            COMING SOON...

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

Always nice to here about the guys signing autographs after practice. I was one of those kids at Niagara University, way back, dogging OJ, Fergie, Braxton and coach Saban.

So props to those guys. Especially Dareus for doing the right thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X