Anybody have an idea if Watkins can beat a DB pressing at the LOS, and can he block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Anybody have an idea if Watkins can beat a DB pressing at the LOS, and can he block?

I've never seen him play. Can he be bottled up, and did he in college toss a block to free a rb or a fellow receiver?

I guess what I'm asking is, if he is a so-called "complete" receiver like, say, a Heinz Ward?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • John Doe
    Florida Man
    • Jul 2002

Re: Anybody have an idea if Watkins can beat a DB pressing at the LOS, and can he blo

Asking any receiver to block like Ward is setting that particular bar pretty high. He looked fairly decent as a blocker in college from what I have seen, but that was college.

Draftboy probably has more definitive information regarding that aspect of his game.

Most college defenses play well off the receivers - that is probably why they ran so many bubble screens for Watkins at Clemson. The reports from Peter King at Bills training camp have indicated that Watkins has the skill set to beat press coverage:
    Wide receiver Sammy Watkins. He’s not physically imposing when you’re next to him, but his advantage, from the looks of two practices, is he plays with equal physicality and quickness. Watching him get off the line of scrimmaging against corners trying to test the kid is a treat.
    Sammy Watkins is shining, Marcell Dareus is missing, and the Bills will go as far as E.J. Manuel takes them. My thoughts after a visit to Bills Camp

One: At the snap of the ball, the 6-1, 205-pound Watkins charged off the line at starting left corner Leodis McKelvin. He steamrolled McKelvin. Flattened him. As McKelvin fell, he dragged Watkins with him. Had this been a game, McKelvin would have been called for holding. Watkins was in the right, blasting McKelvin in the five-yard bump zone. And McKelvin did all he could, holding on for dear life and taking Watkins down with him.
    Two: On the next snap, Watkins charged off the line and McKelvin gave him his space, and Watkins pivoted left, alone across the middle. McKelvin was six yards behind Watkins when E.J. Manuel found him, wide open, running free on a crossing route.
    Watkins rose above everyone else in the first two days of Bills practice. (Bill Wippert/AP)
    Three: Jittering off the line, Watkins got free of the corner (I didn’t see who it was) and Manuel lofted a perfect ball 35 yards down the right sideline into Watkins’ hands.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/07/22/sammy-...-camp-mailbag/
    Last edited by John Doe; 07-27-2014, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• TigerJ
      • Jul 2002

Re: Anybody have an idea if Watkins can beat a DB pressing at the LOS, and can he blo

The reports I've seen have not specifically addressed how Watkins handles a jam at the LOS, but what we do know about him suggests he can handle it very well. First, he's not at all afraid of being physical with a CB, and while he is not a big receiver (more average than either big or small) he's got a sturdy build and seems pretty strong. Second, while he does not have world class speed, his abilty to accelerate is among he best in the league (and that has been tested). He gets to top speed faster than just about anybody, even guys with world class speed, whether from standing still or coming out of a break. Combine that with his other traits (sticky hands and a huge catch radius) and he should be able to give press cornerbacks fits right from the LOS.
      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Originally posted by John Doe View Post
        Asking any receiver to block like Ward is setting that particular bar pretty high. He looked fairly decent as a blocker in college from what I have seen, but that was college.
        I love comments like this. How much time exactly did you spend watching Clemson games while focusing on whether Watkins was a good blocker?

LOL

I suppose that you saw koujandou or whatever his name is too and watched him play.

Did you watch a lot of Bryce Brown footage, and just happen to catch the few games that he did anything in Philly too.
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
          I've never seen him play. Can he be bottled up, and did he in college toss a block to free a rb or a fellow receiver?

I guess what I'm asking is, if he is a so-called "complete" receiver like, say, a Heinz Ward?
          Honestly, he played so few decent passing D's and of those that he did none had good teams overall except for FSU and he didn't play well against them.

I doubt that he's ever even faced the kind of jams that he'll see in the NFL. 60% of his catches were on bubble screens rendering blocks at the line moot. I doubt that there were even many DBs that had the skills to be able to block him at the line and then still recover to cover him at the collegiate level. That's why I keep emphasizing the level of competition that he faced.

I suspect that he'll be fine, but who knows. The biggest issue is how is KneeJ going to hit him in stride and accurately on a regular basis. Doesn't seem as if Whaley thought that through. If you ask me we'd have been better off drafting a big WR that could make catches in traffic much better, it would have helped Manuel much more. Manuel's going to struggle to make effective use of Watkins. Again, the front office gets paid big money to figure this out but can't.
          Last edited by Fletch; 07-27-2014, 07:43 PM.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
            • Feb 2009

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
            I love comments like this. How much time exactly did you spend watching Clemson games

Oh the irony is delicious no one has more opinions and observations on Watkins than you and you had to be told Watkins was a junior not a senior last year

Comment

• Fletch
              • May 2007

Here are some excerpts from CBS Sports draft profile on Watkins.

Sharp footwork off the line of scrimmage to beat press and get vertical with his galloping strides.

Active blocker and gets the job done in this area.

I also don't know why many of the sites compare him to Percy Harvin, he strikes me as being more talented than that. I kind of envision a cross between Santana Moss and Moulds.

Post #46

------

Comment

• John Doe
                Florida Man
                • Jul 2002

I love comments like this. How much time exactly did you spend watching Clemson games while focusing on whether Watkins was a good blocker?

LOL

I suppose that you saw koujandou or whatever his name is too and watched him play.

Did you watch a lot of Bryce Brown footage, and just happen to catch the few games that he did anything in Philly too.
                I don't recall saying that I saw a lot of footage of Watkins' blocking. That is why I defer to posters like Draftboy who have seen just about every college game played. You really are the king of the "strawman" fallacy.

I don't recall mentioning anything about Kouandijo or Brown. Again, the attempt to build a strawman is duly noted.

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by Ginger Vitis View Post
                  Oh the irony is delicious no one has more opinions and observations on Watkins than you and you had to be told Watkins was a junior not a senior last year
                  LMAO

This is so rich. I'll tell ya what the irony is, it's someone like you completely ignoring the fact that that is irrelevant given that the context of the conversation was a comparison to Mike Evans, who's the same age, actually younger by several months. I called him a Sr. too, but clearly you know what I meant, it's like pointing out a typo.

Where it's rich is listening to someone like you who's sum total of relevant input into any discussion about Watkins or Evans is what you've been spoon-fed by the major media. Go back and look at all the info that I've posted on Watkins, splits involving opponents, game situations, downs, etc., and performances against certain teams and passing Ds.

All you do is blather ***** piss and moan.

Good stuff involving irony.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

I don't recall saying that I saw a lot of footage of Watkins' blocking. That is why I defer to posters like Draftboy who have seen just about every college game played. You really are the king of the "strawman" fallacy.

I don't recall mentioning anything about Kouandijo or Brown. Again, the attempt to build a strawman is duly noted.
                    How convenient. You said ...

He looked fairly decent as a blocker in college from what I have seen, but that was college.
                    Tell us, how many games, exactly, did you watch Clemson play football while specifically watching Watkins' blocking skills?

As to Draftboy, perhaps you'd better let him speak for himself. On any given Saturday there are no fewer than several dozen college games going on at the same time typically during the afternoons, you're insisting that he's seen most of 'em. There are over 250 D-I teams and over 100 college games at that level every Saturday.

Right. LOL

Most people can only watch one game at a time, good to know that he has the ability to watch 40 or more games at once.

Doesn't matter though, you made the comment based "on what you've seen," remember.

Post #46

------

Comment

• jimmifli
                      • Nov 2006

If Watkins doesn't throw a block all season it wouldn't change my opinion on him at all. And it shouldn't impact yours either.

Comment

• John Doe
                        Florida Man
                        • Jul 2002

How convenient. You said ...

Tell us, how many games, exactly, did you watch Clemson play football while specifically watching Watkins' blocking skills?

As to Draftboy, perhaps you'd better let him speak for himself. On any given Saturday there are no fewer than several dozen college games going on at the same time typically during the afternoons, you're insisting that he's seen most of 'em. There are over 250 D-I teams and over 100 college games at that level every Saturday.

Right. LOL

Most people can only watch one game at a time, good to know that he has the ability to watch 40 or more games at once.

Doesn't matter though, you made the comment based "on what you've seen," remember.
                        After the draft I watched condensed highlights of several Clemson games that included most or all of the plays that Watkins was on the field. Since he was the only player that I was interested in, I focused on him whether he caught the ball or not. Usually, when he did not have the ball he was trying to block, and he did a fairly good job.

I don't see why you have such a big problem with this.

I don't recall speaking for Draftboy. Try posting without the strawman for once. The honesty may do you some good.
                        I respect his opinion because he does watch a ton of games - not all of them live or at the same time.
                        Last edited by John Doe; 07-28-2014, 04:28 AM.

Comment

• trapezeus
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Oct 2004

there have been multiple articles on watkins being physical and most of the youtube clips show him lowering his head when he's crossing through the middle of the field making contact.

There have also been some articles on his ability to get off the line of scrimmage (prior to being selected by the bills). So it seems like that's not a skill he has to learn or has to bulk up to get.

but we'll keep getting fletch's insistence that watkins plays small and can't do anything but catch the WR bubble screen.

my worry about watkins is that almost every catch you hear about is him having to make an incredible catch. it would be better to hear that EJ and him are developing some timing and accuracy and that there are long TD's being scored between the two of them.

i just worry that he's getting injured in preseason.

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by jimmifli View Post
                            If Watkins doesn't throw a block all season it wouldn't change my opinion on him at all. And it shouldn't impact yours either.
                            I agree. He isn't getting paid to block, he's getting paid to make big plays with the ball in his hands, and if how good we are comes down to that then something's very wrong somewhere.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

After the draft I watched condensed highlights of several Clemson games that included most or all of the plays that Watkins was on the field. Since he was the only player that I was interested in, I focused on him whether he caught the ball or not. Usually, when he did not have the ball he was trying to block, and he did a fairly good job.
                              You didn't happen to notice which teams it was that most of his big highlights were against, did ya? Might be a good point of note for you in your assessment.

Then go watch Mike Evans light up Alabama, as I said, to the tune of more than what Watkins did in his three games against the best pass Ds, but not good teams like Alabama was overall, combined.

Carry on!

Post #46

------

Comment

Working...
                              X