• Show
Clear All
  • swiper
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2010

HOF Game: Game Balls & Goats

Do you agree with this?

Originally posted by BillsDaily.com

Who Helped Themselves: Several players helped themselves with their performance in the 17-13 loss to the Giants yesterday. Marcus Easley helped his chances of making the team as a special teams ace with a blocked punt. Robert Woods surprisingly was with the second unit but made his case to get back with the ones as he led the team with 49 yards receiving on four catches including the team's only touchdown. Jeff Tuel got the first shot at the backup quarterback spot and looked good on his 80 yard scoring drive. He finished 12 of 17 for 74 yards but did throw a pick. Bryce Brown was the fourth running back off the bench but had the best stats gaining 40 yards on just 7 carries.Seantrel Henderson didn't look out of place at left tackle holding his own fairly well. Kyle Williams looked in midseason form by forcing a turnover and Duke Williams made his presence known with a few good plays and one vicious hit.

Who Hurt Themselves:EJ Manuel didn't calm everyone's worries about his play in camp as he went just 2 of 7 for 19 yards in two series of play in the 17-13 loss to the Giants. Cyrus Kouandjio struggled mightily at right tackle. T.J. Graham continued his recent string of drops in this game with a couple of passes going off of hands. Michael Carter has struggled in training camp and didn't do himself any favors when he was beaten for a 73 yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter by rookie Corey Washington.
    link
  • kscdogbillsfan1221
    • Nov 2007

Re: HOF Game: Game Balls & Goats

Good post. I would also add that the first string d looked very stout
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Comment

• kishoph
      • Jun 2003

With EJ it's hard to judge with 2 series, he had some nice balls he had a terrible one. Batted balls happen, it could easily be blamed on the O-lineman not keeping the D-lineman engaged. D-lineman are starting to back off the line to try and bat down balls (EJ had 3 balls batted down last season). Every time JJ Watts bats down a ball, is it the QB's fault ? The good, the pass to Williams in the end zone was placed perfectly. The quick out to William was an audible from a run play, good play. The deep ball to Watkins missed by a 2 steps. Good and bad.
      Seantrel Henderson look like a solid backup to Glenn, possibly a move to the right side when Glenn comes back.
      The starting front 7 looked awesome.
      TJ Graham looked like he's on his way out, especially with the way Hogan has looked in camp.

Fred Jackson, 2 carries for 6 yds. Cj Spiller 1 carry for 2 yds. They both sucked, cut them.

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Originally Posted by BillsDaily.com

Who Helped Themselves: Several players helped themselves with their performance in the 17-13 loss to the Giants yesterday. Marcus Easley helped his chances of making the team as a special teams ace with a blocked punt. Robert Woods surprisingly was with the second unit but made his case to get back with the ones as he led the team with 49 yards receiving on four catches including the team's only touchdown. Jeff Tuel got the first shot at the backup quarterback spot and looked good on his 80 yard scoring drive. He finished 12 of 17 for 74 yards but did throw a pick. Bryce Brown was the fourth running back off the bench but had the best stats gaining 40 yards on just 7 carries.Seantrel Henderson didn't look out of place at left tackle holding his own fairly well. Kyle Williams looked in midseason form by forcing a turnover and Duke Williams made his presence known with a few good plays and one vicious hit.

Who Hurt Themselves:EJ Manuel didn't calm everyone's worries about his play in camp as he went just 2 of 7 for 19 yards in two series of play in the 17-13 loss to the Giants. Cyrus Kouandjio struggled mightily at right tackle. T.J. Graham continued his recent string of drops in this game with a couple of passes going off of hands. Michael Carter has struggled in training camp and didn't do himself any favors when he was beaten for a 73 yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter by rookie Corey Washington.

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
        Every time JJ Watts bats down a ball, is it the QB's fault ?
        When he throws them just above head height? Uhh, yeah! That last one looked like it could have beaned that LB in the head had he been standing straight up.

Manuel was a continuation of his horrid self last season.

It's way too early to be saying much about any of these guys right now, they were in for what, two series, the starters anyway.

I think that the piece on Bills Daily is accurate to the extent that we can form opinions on so few data points thus far this season. For the returning players we can default to last season's performances until proven otherwise. Looking at KneeJ here.

Woods played right where he left off. Graham hasn't ever done much of anything include return well, I see no reason why he'll be kept around, he offers nothing that can't be found in several other players. McKelvin and Goodwin can both return better and Graham offers nothing except parts of what Watkins and Goodwin offer in the receiving game.

I thought that Henderson played very very well even against the Giant 2nd team. I think he may end up being the best player in this draft class after Watkins.

I wouldn't say that Tuel looked good, but he looked better than KneeJ. 4.3 ypa? We've gotta get out of this dinky-dunky mode or we're going nowhere. 4.5 ypa as a team. Last season we were ranked near the bottom in ypa, that's gotta change.

If you ask me Preston Brown should have been on that second list too, he was getting pushed all over the place. Wasn't impressed by Bryce Brown like BD was. He'll have to do better than that against backups to impress.

Seems like this game was just to get everyone's feet wet. I presume that's why they threw 40 times and ran only 19 (non-QBs), to evaluate the QBs. That's not a good ratio for the season.

Anyone notice Gaines at all?
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Swiper
          Legendary Zoner
          • Sep 2010

EJ Manuel gets 3 balls batted in one game. How does that happen to a QB of his size?

He telegraphs each and every throw. All you have to do is look at him. Lamar Woodley (I think it was on NFLN this morning) even pointed out that they had him in ONE READ plays. Drop back and he only gets one choice. He has to start looking around and head faking the defense. He can't do it. He's like a deer in the headlights.

Tuel looked more composed, but is by no means an NFL starter candidate. Sad.

2014 Buffalo Bills: good team with bad QBs. Period.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Swiper View Post
            EJ Manuel gets 3 balls batted in one game. How does that happen to a QB of his size?

He telegraphs each and every throw. All you have to do is look at him. Lamar Woodley (I think it was on NFLN this morning) even pointed out that they had him in ONE READ plays. Drop back and he only gets one choice. He has to start looking around and head faking the defense. He can't do it. He's like a deer in the headlights.

Tuel looked more composed, but is by no means an NFL starter candidate. Sad.

2014 Buffalo Bills: good team with bad QBs. Period.
            unfortunately in todays NFL it is almost impossible to have a 'good' team when your QB is bad. But yea, yesterday did not alleviate my fears about EJ one bit
            I came.
            I saw.
            I conquered.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

It is one thing to be inaccurate & throw int's but to throw 3 batted balls in that short a period of time?

TERRIBLE. EJ should be the big concern of everyone at this point.

Comment

• Buffalo Thriller
                • Sep 2010

Is it just me or does both EJ and Tuel have bizarre throwing motions?
                Originally posted by OpIv37
                You guys, the solution is so simple. Find the crazy kids who are shooting up the schools and have them shoot people getting off planes from West Africa.

No more school shootings, no more Ebola.

Obama would have thought of this already if he wasn't a pinko commie Nazi queer-loving wetback-loving Kenyan Indonesian Muslim.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by better days View Post
                  EJ should be the big concern of the coaching staff at this point.

Corrected.

I can't be concerned if I can't personally do anything about it. All I can do is watch.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• MikeInRoch
                    • Sep 2003

I don't blame Tuel for the pick he threw - that one should probably have been caught by the receiver. There was a pass a couple plays before that, tho, that was into ridiculous double coverage that should have been a pick and never should have been thrown.
                    "'Clean up your room.', 'Stand up straight.', 'Pick up your feet.', 'Take it like a man.', 'Be nice to your sister.', 'Don't mix beer and wine, ever.'. Oh yeah, 'Don't drive on the railroad track.'"

"Eh, Phil. That's one I happen to agree with."

Comment

• JoeMama
                      Emotion Sickness
                      • Oct 2002

EJ locked on to his primary WR all night with only 2 exceptions. The DB's followed his eyes and knew where to go, so his passes were virtually gift wrapped.

He should've had an ugly INT but luckily it was dropped.

Like clockwork, Manuel overthrew a wide open WR down the seam. Watkins beat his man easy on that play. You gotta make that completion if you're an NFL QB.

I only liked two of EJ's passes. The completion where he actually made a second read (wow, semi-progression!) and found his guy. The other was a beautiful pass to Mike Williams that he didn't haul in. I like that play because EJ did something I want to see more of: he trusted his WR in man-to-man coverage and fired it. So I'd say Mike Williams let him down on that one. The ball was well placed. There was some contact in the endzone, but I'd still like to see that one caught by a veteran WR.

Other than that, Manuel stared down his primary WR and delivered the ball in the utterly predictable fashion that opposing D's enjoy so much.

The 3 passes that were batted down were frustrating as well. What's the point of having prototypical size/height if you can't get the ball past the D-Line? EJ needs to make more use of his physical tools.

On the flip side, even if he had a great game, it's still the preseason. Hard to get very high or low based on these horrible, glorified scrimmages.
                      Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                        On the flip side, even if he had a great game, it's still the preseason. Hard to get very high or low based on these horrible, glorified scrimmages.
                        I don't think that anyone's high or low on KneeJ based on this horrible glorified scrimmage, they're low on him because since he was drafted he hasn't improved and at the moment looks like he may even have regressed. While that's something that just about everyone has dismissed as a possibility, it is a very real possibility.
                        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                        Originally Posted by pmoon6
                        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                          • Jul 2002

If Cyrus Kouandjio wasn't a 2nd round pick, he'd get cut & at best signed to the practice squad. It's a good thing Henderson is making up for the Kouandjio mistake. If the reason for Kouandjio's poor play is his knee, have him go in for surgery and put him on IR, because on the 2014 roster he's going to be useless anyway.

Comment

• Woodman
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Apr 2014

He looks like a project at best right now ... I hope we aren't prepared to throw in the towel quite yet.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• JoeMama
                              Emotion Sickness
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                              I don't think that anyone's high or low on KneeJ based on this horrible glorified scrimmage, they're low on him because since he was drafted he hasn't improved and at the moment looks like he may even have regressed. While that's something that just about everyone has dismissed as a possibility, it is a very real possibility.
                              What are you talking about?

EJ is already on thin ice with 90% of Bills fans based on what I read everyday. The reality that he could/will be a bust seems widely accepted as the norm; myself included. I've never seen a Bills fan say something stupid like "Ya! EJ'z gunna totes rock 4 lyfe!!! Luv tha guy!!! <3"

Your delusional grandstanding that "just about everyone" dismisses that EJ could regress makes it sound like you only read your own posts.

Almost everybody acknowledges he's a question mark at best, an automatic bust at worst.
                              Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

Working...
                              X