Does Pegula Make His Binding Bid a Lower $1B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Does Pegula Make His Binding Bid a Lower $1B?

I expect JBL/Toronto will not see this through to a final bid. Even if they could bid Over $1.2B, the PR damage has been done such that the Trust is unlikely to accept their assurances that they intend to keep the team in Buffalo.

Trump made a non-binding bid of $1B, but he is likely to see through Morgan Stanley's facade of a biding process and back out.

So Pegula being the only serious bidder could make a binding bid of $1B and walk away with the team. Even if he bids $1B, it is an open bid process so he could always bid more if necessary.

Why would Pegula bid against himself?

When it comes to a new stadium, I don't know what leverage Pegula has if he has no threat to relocate the team. That is why I see the Bills playing in the Ralph for decades to come.

Perhaps the various levels of government are dying to build a new stadium downtown among the urban decay.

If Pegula plays his cards right, I can see him only having to pay $75M of a $1B stadium:

(a)$600M (from various government -- Minny is cutting a cheque for $500M and Minny/St.Paul is no where as bad off as downtown Buffalo)

(b)$150M (from the NFL under its program)

(c) $250M Pegula share from:

(i) $125M from selling PSLs

(ii) $50M for a 25 year stadium naming deal ($2M a year)

(iii) $75M from his pocket
    Last edited by Guest; 08-06-2014, 06:58 PM.
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

Re: Does Pegula Make His Binding Bid a Lower $1B?

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
    Trump made a non-binding bid of $1B, but he is likely to see through Morgan Stanley's facade of a biding process and back out.

So Pegula being the only serious bidder could make a binding bid of $1B and walk away with the team. Even if he bids $1B, it is an open bid process so he could always bid more if necessary.

When it comes to a new stadium, I don't know what leverage Pegula has if he has no threat to relocate the team. That is why I see the Bills playing in the Ralph for decades to come.

Perhaps the various levels of government are dying to build a new stadium downtown among the urban decay.

If Pegula plays his cards right, I can see him only having to pay $75M of a $1B stadium:

(a)$600M (from various government -- Minny is cutting a cheque for $500M and Minny/St.Paul is no where as bad off as downtown Buffalo)

(c) $350M Pegula share from:

Your logic on JBJ is sound, but I don't get the logic in why Trump would withdraw. What do you mean by a facade of a bidding process?

If anything he gets bounced for not adhering to the NDA terms, at least that's what the rumors/reports are telling us.

Why would Pegula bid against himself? Good question. So if he's the only one left, why even offer $1B? Why not offer $1? OK, being somewhat smart, but seriously, why not offer $750M?

Something's going to give here. Rumors and reports are that the trust wasn't happy with only three bidders, one of which appears to be persona non grata amongst both trust and fans alike, reducing it to two serious bidders, or bidders that they need to take seriously.

As to $600M in government money, you serious? That's four times what the Yankees got. As much as we think of the Bills they are no Yankees, not even close. I think he'll be lucky to get $100M.

Unless Goodell was bluffing he said that the team would need a new stadium to stay in Buffalo. Do you think he was lying or bluffing? What would be his reason to bluff? I can't see one.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
      • Jun 2024

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
      Your logic on JBJ is sound, but I don't get the logic in why Trump would withdraw. What do you mean by a facade of a bidding process?
      Well apparently Trump has made some comment that he was upset the Trust did not already accept his $1B all cash offer.

If you believe Trump was really only in this for some free publicity, I can see him backing out and blaming the Trust for mishandling the process. "I was disrespected blah blah blah..." Just a reason to not making a binding offer.

Comment

• AlbanyFan
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Fletch View Post

If anything he gets bounced for not adhering to the NDA terms, at least that's what the rumors/reports are telling us.

Why would Pegula bid against himself? Good question. So if he's the only one left, why even offer $1B? Why not offer $1? OK, being somewhat smart, but seriously, why not offer $750M?

Something's going to give here. Rumors and reports are that the trust wasn't happy with only three bidders, one of which appears to be persona non grata amongst both trust and fans alike, reducing it to two serious bidders, or bidders that they need to take seriously.

As to $600M in government money, you serious? That's four times what the Yankees got. As much as we think of the Bills they are no Yankees, not even close. I think he'll be lucky to get $100M.

Unless Goodell was bluffing he said that the team would need a new stadium to stay in Buffalo. Do you think he was lying or bluffing? What would be his reason to bluff? I can't see one.
        What can Goodell do? Say Pegula gets the team and wants to keep it in Buffalo. If he can't get funding and all the govt approval for a new stadium, what could Goodell possibly do? Take the team away? Force him to sell?

Is that actually what he said or was he just saying that it would help to keep the team there if they got a new stadium.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
          • Jun 2024

Originally posted by AlbanyFan View Post
          What can Goodell do?
          Nothing.

Comment

• coastal
            Legendary Zoner
            • Mar 2005

This practice bid stuff is funny.

Comment

• AlbanyFan
              • Jun 2014

Does this ever become like an auction? That is, say Pegula lowers his bid to $1M based on what you say, then they jive JBJ or Trump an opportunity to bid again nbd they put in $1.1B. Do they go back to Pegula and give him a chance to top it?

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                • Jun 2024

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                This practice bid stuff is funny.
                Morgan Stanley forgot where the team is located so they anticipated receiving over a dozen interested bidders.

The non-binding bidding stage of the process was where they were going to qualify interested purchasers, get them to bump up their bids and narrow the field.

It backfired when only one serious purchaser stepped forward.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                  • Jun 2024

Originally posted by AlbanyFan View Post
                  Does this ever become like an auction? That is, say Pegula lowers his bid to $1M based on what you say, then they jive JBJ or Trump an opportunity to bid again nbd they put in $1.1B. Do they go back to Pegula and give him a chance to top it?
                  It is an open process like an auction so yes they would go back to Pegula for another higher bid.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                    Skoobasaurus-Rex
                    • Oct 2011

Why not bid to blow everyone else out of the water & then lower it when you're the last person standing?

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

I would guess that Pegula has the 'right' to drop his bid far enough to still be highest bidder at the next step, but if/when the auction part kicks in he'll probably be forced to go higher. Will that reach the reported $1.3bil that he initially allegedly threw into the ring? That probably depends on Golisano, and other parties that may be interested in jumping on board (which, I wouldn't expect many more if any because of the relocation restrictions.

How much the state puts into a new stadium, in all honesty, probably is dependent on how much infrastructure needs to be constructed. If, for example, the new stadium were to build on the existing OP site, the state contribution would probably be less than, say, downtown, because sufficient access is already there.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Woodman
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Apr 2014

TERRY!!!

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.

Comment

• IlluminatusUIUC
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                          Why not bid to blow everyone else out of the water & then lower it when you're the last person standing?
                          I haven't read the bid packet but they might be prevented from doing so by the terms of whatever deal they agreed to. Alternatively, the trust may simply have the power to re-open bidding at that point and accept another offer.

Billszone 2013 Prediction Contest winner!

Comment

• better days
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                            I expect JBL/Toronto will not see this through to a final bid. Even if they could bid Over $1.2B, the PR damage has been done such that the Trust is unlikely to accept their assurances that they intend to keep the team in Buffalo.

(c) $250M Pegula share from:

Too funny to see Spiked grasp for that last straw of hope that the Bills move.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                              • Jun 2024

Originally posted by IlluminatusUIUC View Post
                              I haven't read the bid packet but they might be prevented from doing so by the terms of whatever deal they agreed to. Alternatively, the trust may simply have the power to re-open bidding at that point and accept another offer.
                              Once the offers are binding they are binding.

Until then they are not.

Comment

Working...
                              X