• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

A Football Team With A Quarterback Problem

Well...EJ did look better in the second pre-season game ... but that is not good enough. It pretty much indicates we have seen what we have in EJ Manual and need to continue looking for our QB of the future. One thing that is encouraging about him is he can have a bad series and come back to have a good one. We can win some games with that. However, he's going to be bad at times and that is just not good enough to win in the playoffs. I am not interested in paying lip service to something that has a chance to get us into the playoffs I am interested in competing for championships.

I know, some of you are going to say 'one thing at a time'. But I don't buy it. Playoff appearances are too valuable to squander. If/when we get back there we had better be competitive. The teams that were able to win SBs with average QBs they were able to do so because those men were consistent. EJ will never be consistent I'm sorry to say and he is not worthy of the franchise quarterback designation.

I can be on board with him for the time being because he is the choice. I did watch Vick and Hasselbeck play today and I have to question why one of these veterans is not on our team? However, I do not believe our search is over and we had best not waste time pretending that it is.
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: A Football Team With A Quarterback Problem

I think we need to be 500 or better for anyone to stay
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
      I think we need to be 500 or better for anyone to stay
      Were Wilson still alive I would completely disagree with you. Now, I believe that's an unknown. I like this staff. I like that Maroon is frustrated right now. I have no interest in ditching some organizational efforts just to start over with another crew of misfits. Bring in a real coach and that's a different story though.

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
        Well...EJ did look better in the second pre-season game ... but that is not good enough. It pretty much indicates we have seen what we have in EJ Manual and need to continue looking for our QB of the future. One thing that is encouraging about him is he can have a bad series and come back to have a good one. We can win some games with that. However, he's going to be bad at times and that is just not good enough to win in the playoffs. I am not interested in paying lip service to something that has a chance to get us into the playoffs I am interested in competing for championships.

I know, some of you are going to say 'one thing at a time'. But I don't buy it. Playoff appearances are too valuable to squander. If/when we get back there we had better be competitive. The teams that were able to win SBs with average QBs they were able to do so because those men were consistent. EJ will never be consistent I'm sorry to say and he is not worthy of the franchise quarterback designation.

I can be on board with him for the time being because he is the choice. I did watch Vick and Hasselbeck play today and I have to question why one of these veterans is not on our team? However, I do not believe our search is over and we had best not waste time pretending that it is.
        Marone will never learn. Once again the word is inconsistent.

He started off going 7 for 7 despite the last of those passes having been for -3, but then promptly went 2 for 6. Left in I find it difficult to believe that he would have all of a sudden shed all of his inconsistency issues, expecially since they were already appearing.

Yanking him when they did is no way to get him to improve. They're leaving it for the regular season. Bad judgement. Not that it would make a difference.

There's 7 more camp days and then regular practices. The first team offense hasn't shown enough and hasn't scored a TD.

Saving Manuel is like keeping the paper plates dry to use as fine china.

- - - Updated - - -

Were Wilson still alive I would completely disagree with you. Now, I believe that's an unknown. I like this staff. I like that Maroon is frustrated right now. I have no interest in ditching some organizational efforts just to start over with another crew of misfits. Bring in a real coach and that's a different story though.
        A good GM will correct all of the issues.
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Typ0
          honey pie
          • Jul 2002

I can't agree with that. They have a rotation scheme set for the game. They are evaluating players to see who is going to make the squad. EJ had his chances they are just following the plan.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
            Skoobasaurus-Rex
            • Oct 2011

I can't agree with that. They have a rotation scheme set for the game. They are evaluating players to see who is going to make the squad. EJ had his chances they are just following the plan.
            The coaches are trying different plAyers out to see of they can start, judging anything after the first few series in the pre-season is gossip at best.

Comment

• ICRockets
              Legendary Zoner
              • Jul 2008

Well...EJ did look better in the second pre-season game ... but that is not good enough. It pretty much indicates we have seen what we have in EJ Manual and need to continue looking for our QB of the future.
              What? Seriously, has anybody actually read this and thought it made sense as a series of thoughts that connected to each other in a coherent manner?

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                • Aug 2013

I think he played plenty. Having him play against 3rd and 4th stringers is useless and only increases the risk of injury.

I was annoyed by how they took him out too early against the Giants, but today was ample time. This is coming from someone who things there is about a 20% chance EJ works out.

Typical Fletch isn't happy with anything and always finds some sort of angle to complain. They could have played him the entire game and he'd say they played him too much.
                Last edited by BuffaloRedleg; 08-08-2014, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

You can't agree that if he's left in and plays more that that's his only chance of improving?

Well, OK. We'll have to disagree.

As to backup QBs going to make the squad, Whaley has promised playoffs. If we are reduced to a backup QB under any circumstances, he can kiss that, and likely his and Marrone's futures in Buffalo, good bye.

Why is everyone so worried about backup play in spots where we don't even have qualified starting play?

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                  ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
                    I think he played plenty. Having him play against 3rd and 4th stringers is useless and only increases the risk of injury.

I was annoyed by how they took him out too early against the Giants, but today was ample time. This is coming from someone who things there is about a 20% chance EJ works out.

Typical Fletch isn't happy with anything and always finds some sort of angle to complain. They could have played him the entire game and he'd say they played him too much.
                    Yeah, nothing to complain about re: QB play.

LOL

Look, if it takes him playing against the local HS JV team to look competent and put together a good game, it would be something to build on.

He needs real-time reps, period. If they have to come against the 3rds and 4ths, so be it.

You guys don't seem to understand, if we go into the season like this we're not going to win many games. I guess everyone's fine with that.

Talk about complaining. Just damn. It isn't complicated. The boy needs to start stringing a few quarters of good football together. When's he going to get that chance? Yeah yeah, week one vs. (in) Chicago. Right.

0-1 with KneeJ getting hammered in his first full exposure to 4 Qs this season. Sounds like a great way to start the season, doesn't it.
                    Last edited by Fletch; 08-09-2014, 04:11 AM.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Swiper
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Sep 2010

Wow. Marrone should hire you.

Comment

• Swiper
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2010

What all you junior tools don't see is the basic QB skills that Manuel lacks. Just watch his drop-backs, then watch Thad Lewis. When Lewis dropped back, he looked left, then right then threw the ball. Manuel lacks that ability. When Manuel takes the time he needs to look around he takes a sack because of the time it took.

When Manuel drops back he looks like a scared little high school QB. When Lewis drops back he looks much more like an NFL QB. He may not be great, but he has the basic skill. Manuel doesn't.

Comment

• YardRat
                          Well, lookie here...
                          • Dec 2004

The teams that were able to win SBs with average QBs they were able to do so because those men were consistent.
                          The NY Giants called, and would like your opinion on whether or not they should keep or cut Eli Manning.
                          YardRat Wall of Fame
                          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

No, the guy has had a year of off field work. He's had an offseason to learn how to process. He can't do it.

It's not about backup QB either...it's because other positions need to be assessed and you don't leave your franchise on the field when things are more likely to break down.

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                            You can't agree that if he's left in and plays more that that's his only chance of improving?

Well, OK. We'll have to disagree.

As to backup QBs going to make the squad, Whaley has promised playoffs. If we are reduced to a backup QB under any circumstances, he can kiss that, and likely his and Marrone's futures in Buffalo, good bye.

Why is everyone so worried about backup play in spots where we don't even have qualified starting play?

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              The NY Giants called, and would like your opinion on whether or not they should keep or cut Eli Manning.
                              Are you saying Manning is an average QB?

Comment

Working...
                              X