• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DetDannyWilliams
    Nobody in Hawaii wears a tie.
    • Feb 2013

NFL renews push for a new Bills stadium

The NFL is stepping up its push for a new stadium in Western New York to host the Buffalo Bills, which league officials say is necessary to provide fans a better experience and to give the team and the league a shot of new revenue.
    The latest push comes from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. In a conversation last week with Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo and in other recent talks with Sen. Charles E. Schumer, Goodell reiterated his contention that the NFL would like to see the Bills remain in Buffalo.

Goodell promoted the idea of a new Buffalo stadium again last week in a private phone call with Cuomo, according to a source with knowledge of the Bills who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation surrounding the sale of the team.

“The NFL never put it that harshly,” said the source, who detected what seems like an implied threat of a move in the commissioner’s insistent demand that the Bills need a new facility.
    And then at an event in Niagara Falls on Friday, Cuomo said: “I want to do everything that we need to do to keep the Bills, but I don’t want to put the cart before the horse, either. If we need a new stadium to keep the Bills here long-term, that’s something I’m interested in talking about. But we’re not there yet, right?”
    But he reiterated the downside of building a new facility.
    “I’m also very mindful of the money,” Cuomo said. “I’m a little cheap. And stadiums are a lot of money, so we want to be careful, and if we have to go down that road, I want to make sure everyone is participating so it’s as light a burden on the county and the state as it can be.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/nfl-renews-push-for-a-new-bills-stadium-20140809
    Last edited by DetDannyWilliams; 08-10-2014, 10:00 PM.
  • Frenchman
    June and Summertime!
    • Apr 2012

Re: NFL renews push for a new Bills stadium

Yeah as it is time to push for a new stadium. For the Bills and their fans. Really glad it is being talked about!
    ​Ready for Summertime Fun!

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Some people here, despite this report not being new, insist that the team doesn't need a new stadium to stick around.

Some excerpts from yet another piece that indicate the contrary:

But a new stadium must be part of the mix, Goodell told them.

While little else is known about Goodell’s comments to the two politicians, NFL officials say Ralph Wilson Stadium – even after the $130 million in renovations being completed this year – will not measure up to the fan amenities offered by new NFL stadiums or even fully renovated ones such as those in Kansas City, Mo., and Green Bay, Wis.

League officials also note that the Bills need the new revenue a new stadium would generate to remain competitive with other NFL franchises.

New stadiums offer a host of opportunities for teams to extract more money from their loyal followers, starting with higher ticket prices.

Team owners, meanwhile, want new stadiums because they mean much more income from luxury suite fees, concessions, parking and sponsorships – money that is not shared with other NFL owners, said John Vrooman, a sports economist at Vanderbilt University who has studied NFL finances.

It's that bolded stuff that's going to doom efforts to keep the team here. Unfortunately Buffalo has the lowest luxury suite fees in the league and still has trouble selling them. How on earth are they going to sell more of them at higher prices.

Of course the team winning would help, but even then, you can only squeeze so much money out of an economic orange.

[Cue several posters here implying how wealthy they are by insisting that everyone would spend thousands per season as if money were no object just to keep the team here]
      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
      Originally Posted by pmoon6
      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• stuckincincy
        Buffalo Bills Fan
        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
        [Cue several posters here implying how wealthy they are by insisting that everyone would spend thousands per season as if money were no object just to keep the team here]
        Here's the cost of fun at the Carolina Panthers' stadium...

The official website of the Carolina Panthers with access to tickets, schedules, news, videos, photos, statistics and more.
        Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Yeah, that seems pretty common around the NFL these days. You find this out by looking at the prices of tickets for road games.

Who sees seats selling to acceptable levels with PSLs in Buffalo? They struggled with those years ago, or something similar, and did away with them IIRC.

The only way I see the team staying here is if an owner like Pegula or Golisano, really decided to pay out of their own pocket, as a losing investment as business investments at this level go, to build a new stadium. I have no idea what the odds of that happening are, but there are a lot of "if's" that need to fall into place for that to be the case.

Right now we need to get past this media circus that selling the team has become or we'll end up having the sale equivalent of missing the playoffs for 14 straight seasons.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• OLDSRIP
            • Dec 2008

I can only speak for myself.

I would never pay a PSL fee under any circumstance.

Its the biggest scam against sports fans imo.

Comment

• Fletch
              • May 2007

Originally posted by OLDSRIP View Post

I agree. It also won't work in Buffalo because too many fans don't make the kind of money that would allow them to pay that. Most here are hard-working blue collar types that just can't afford to shell out that kind of money. It's been tried and failed here already. It's not going to work at higher prices.

If you think about it though, that's partially how new stadiums get built, by paying for themselves more than they used to, and that money comes in up front along with longer-term leases on luxury suites. The region has neither the tax base nor the fan economic base to support the typical ticket price structure that's the norm now around the league.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                Here's the cost of fun at the Carolina Panthers' stadium...

http://www.panthers.com/stadium/stadium-diagram.html
                By the way stuck, Cleveland's not much different.

Post #46

------

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

I think this may be a shot across the bow of the Toronto group or any team that wants to move the Bills.

Goodell & the NFL are telling prospective owners they need to be prepared to build a Stadium in Buffalo.

Comment

• coastal
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Mar 2005

The politics of this are sick.

not a single dime of tax money should be used.

let the fracking king pay for it.

maybe we kick in some infrastructure money, but that's it.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by coastal View Post

Yeah, like you have any say in the financing of the Stadium, LMAO.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                        Buffalo Bills Fan
                        • Sep 2003

Originally posted by OLDSRIP View Post

When the Bgal's free stadium was built, they put out a phony seating chart, result being that folks forked over more PSL cash that they should have. B'gals used the extra cash, and only rectified it because they were sued. Then they sent out letters saying that PSL holders had to buy season tickets for ten years and would sue them if they didn't pay for then each season. It took another lawsuit...

Nice guys, eh?

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                          By the way stuck, Cleveland's not much different.

http://www.getbrownstickets.com/content/seating-pricing
                          The Browns have a lower average ticket price than the Bills do.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                            Buffalo Bills Fan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            The Browns have a lower average ticket price than the Bills do.
                            Why not? They have to sell an inferior product, and have dumped PSLs for new season-ticket holders to try to get a gate. Anything sound familiar?

Folks buying tickets to the Factory of Sadness have new cause to be happy.

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              I think this may be a shot across the bow of the Toronto group or any team that wants to move the Bills.

Goodell & the NFL are telling prospective owners they need to be prepared to build a Stadium in Buffalo.
                              Gosh, you're quick.

Sounds to me like they'd need a stadium anywhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by coastal View Post

That's awfully generous of you to be spending Pegula's money for him.

Want him to fund your retirement or anything else while he's at it?

Post #46

------

Comment

Working...
                              X