Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Speculation based on SJ13 interview: EJ was working on half the field last year

After starring the past four years in Buffalo, Stevie Johnson is starting over in San Francisco this season, after being traded to the 49ers on the second day

From the quote below talking about Kap, I can't help thinking he's comparing him to Manuel:

With No. 7, you know anybody can get the ball at any time. He’s not locked in on one side. It’s great to play with a quarterback like Kaepernick, with that kind of arm.

And that explains the big jump from college to Pro for EJ and looks like Marrone and Co. kept a tight leash on EJ.

I venture to guess that they are not going to have EJ run the full playbook again this season, probably not like limiting to 1/2 the field, but maybe limited options. So it may be option 1, 2 and run; or option 1,2, 3 and run instead 4th or 5th options available to him.

Back to what everyone said, EJ is a project. The question is whether we can win while he develops.

Right now he seems to go through rookie QB growing pain stage: telegraphing his passes like locking onto his receivers. Perhaps it is not such a surprise Mike Willaims who can win physical battles and catch high balls is emerging as his favorate target; and the management certainly hopes Watkins who's big YAC ability to make it easier for him, whereas Stevie who relies more on his wits and unconventional style will be more difficult for EJ.
  • feldspar
    • Mar 2007

Re: So EJ was working on half the field last year per Stevie

Stevie said nothing of the kind directly.
    Last edited by feldspar; 08-11-2014, 02:11 PM.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

And unless you have a GREAT OL, no QB has the time to look at a 4th or 5th option.

I am all for getting the ball out quick myself, let the receivers make the plays.

And the Bills now have the receivers to do just that.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

He only looks at one guy the entire play anyway.

Comment

• kishoph
          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by better days View Post
          And unless you have a GREAT OL, no QB has the time to look at a 4th or 5th option.

I am all for getting the ball out quick myself, let the receivers make the plays.

And the Bills now have the receivers to do just that.
          "Going through his progressions" is the new catch phrase for those that want to bash Manuel and sound knowledgeable. One, the Bills have been running 2 receiver sets some of the time in the preseason, you don't have a lot of options with a 2 receiver set. Two just because you don't see his head flopping from left to right doesn't mean he's not scanning the field. Finally, if he sees what he likes with his first option, what sense would it make to look somewhere else. The Bills have the receivers that can get separation, Manuel does need to get the ball to them on time, last season he did struggle waiting till the receiver was open instead of anticipating and trusting the receiver, but it seems that it's something he has worked on since then and is making throws that he didn't attempt last year.

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by kishoph View Post
            "Going through his progressions" is the new catch phrase for those that want to bash Manuel and sound knowledgeable. One, the Bills have been running 2 receiver sets some of the time in the preseason, you don't have a lot of options with a 2 receiver set. Two just because you don't see his head flopping from left to right doesn't mean he's not scanning the field. Finally, if he sees what he likes with his first option, what sense would it make to look somewhere else. The Bills have the receivers that can get separation, Manuel does need to get the ball to them on time, last season he did struggle waiting till the receiver was open instead of anticipating and trusting the receiver, but it seems that it's something he has worked on since then and is making throws that he didn't attempt last year.
            I'll hazard a guess here and you can respond with the usual self-important denigrations you heap on any one that dares question your utterances - I'm used to it by now.

My guess is that any casual fan who watched the HOF game and stumbled upon the BUF@CAR contest might have wondered why BUF is playing a 3rd string camp fodder QB so long.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
              I'll hazard a guess here and you can respond with the usual self-important denigrations you heap on any one that dares question your utterances - I'm used to it by now.

My guess is that any casual fan who watched the HOF game and stumbled upon the BUF@CAR contest might have wondered why BUF is playing a 3rd string camp fodder QB so long.
              Because Tuel has shown promise.

Comment

• Famous Amos
                • Jul 2013

In regards to looking elsewhere when the QB likes his first option: a good QB has the ability to look off the defender and still go to his preferred target.
                "Hate is a lack of imagination."
                -Graham Greene

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Famous Amos View Post
                  In regards to looking elsewhere when the QB likes his first option: a good QB has the ability to look off the defender and still go to his preferred target.
                  Even a good QB can not do that when he has a bad OL in front of him as EJ did last year.

Look at Eli's numbers I posted from last year.

Comment

• Dr. Who
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by better days View Post
                    Because Tuel has shown promise.
                    Great answer to a jerk question.

Comment

• kishoph
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post

If it looks like a pig, oinks like a pig and post like a pig, I'll call it a pig.

The second part of your post you'll have to reword, because I think you got all excited thinking you were posting something brilliant and just posted gibberish.

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

"Going through his progressions" is the new catch phrase for those that want to bash Manuel and sound knowledgeable.
                        LMAO

Some of you are an absolute laugh riot.

Yeah, so is "putting the ball where it belongs." He can't even master that simplest of tasks.

You're right though, it's us.

- - - Updated - - -

If it looks like a pig, oinks like a pig and post like a pig, I'll call it a pig.
                        You shouldn't talk about Manuel's play like that.
                        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                        Originally Posted by pmoon6
                        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

By the way, are we talking about Trent Edwards here, or Manuel.

The talking points on the side of the homers seem to be identical.
                          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                          Originally Posted by pmoon6
                          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• BertSquirtgum
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • May 2009

"Going through his progressions" is the new catch phrase for those that want to bash Manuel and sound knowledgeable.
                            Not really. He didn't go through any progressions last year. Stared down one person the entire time. He did look at more than one receiver running routes a few plays this last preseason game. I was surprised.
                            Last edited by BertSquirtgum; 08-11-2014, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

Re: Speculation based on SJ13 interview: EJ was working on half the field last year

Kaepernick always locks onto one receiver. Kind of funny SJ said that.

Comment

Working...
                              X