Poloncarz: “I think they are taking the opportunity to use this as a revenue grab”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haile SpikedLemonade
    • Jun 2024

Poloncarz: “I think they are taking the opportunity to use this as a revenue grab”

Polancarz sounds off on new Bills stadium

County Executive Mark Poloncarz shared his thoughts on the idea of a new stadium for the Buffalo Bills. Polancarz told the Buffalo News that he isn't sold that the team needs one.

“They have to prove to me that the Bills can’t be viable in Ralph Wilson Stadium,” Poloncarz told The News. “If we’re going to have to build a new stadium, I want so see something that really proves we need a new stadium.”

The County Executive, who participated in the negotiation for the Bills' new lease, said he does not want to dip into other funds to provide a stadium.

“I’m not going to cut libraries, I’m not going to cut parks, I’m not going to cut Child Protective Services to give more money to the multibillionaires who run professional football.”

“I think they are taking the opportunity to use this as a revenue grab,” Poloncarz said.

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

Odd timing.
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

Re: Poloncarz: “I think they are taking the opportunity to use this as a revenue gra

All of a sudden he's conscientious about spending taxpayer money. I think that the reality here is that he doesn't see any option for keeping the team here insofar as the county goes. He's merely trying to avoid looking bad and trying to save his political capital. The state doesn't seem to be far behind.

He's either stupid or lying, which being a politician is probably the latter. Our stadium is low-end by modern standards. It doesn't matter what we want or would be satisfied with, the NFL has its standards and we don't live up to them. I'd be perfectly fine with an old-school stadium and no frills, and even if all of us agreed, that wouldn't matter.

Goodell (aka the NFL) has made it beyond clear that we need a new stadium, so we need a new stadium if the team expects to remain here long term. By 2020 it will seem even less up to NFL standards.

One thing not being discussed here, at least not that I've seen, is the possibility as remote as it may be, that the NFL actually prefers that the team does move despite their statements to the contrary. I don't think that's the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were.
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Re: Poloncarz: “I think they are taking the opportunity to use this as a revenue gra

Apparently Poloncarz has never been to a sports venue outside of Buffalo, NY.

The Ralph is fine for diehard football fans who just want to go watch a game, but the NFL saturated that market years ago. They are going after amenities to entice rich people and companies to spend lots of money on luxury boxes, higher quality food and drink, etc, and experiences and novelties to attract more casual fans, and the Ralph doesn't hold up.

The league has changed and the Ralph hasn't been able to keep up. Personally, I don't like most of the changes but they are the reality, and if Buffalo can't change with the times then the NFL will do everything they can to put the team somewhere else.

Also, Poloncarz seems to be confusing the issue of need for a new stadium with the issue of whether it's wise to spend public funds on a new stadium.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
        • Apr 2004

Erie County stands to lose the most from a transition to a privately owned stadium since they will lose the lease and it also will have an abandoned stadium to either repurpose or demolish which will cost them millions.

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Originally posted by ParanoidAndroid View Post
          Erie County stands to lose the most from a transition to a privately owned stadium since they will lose the lease and it also will have an abandoned stadium to either repurpose or demolish which will cost them millions.
          The thing is that it's going to be a lot harder to demolish than traditional stadiums which just have to be stripped and then demolished. In this case demolishing will require excavating 75% of it out of the ground, which will be a whole lot more expensive. Breaking up all that concrete in the ground would have to be very time consuming. Maybe they would just dynamite it all like they do with rock formations when they build roadways.

I don't know if simply taking off the upper decks would be an option, still, what would it be used for?

Instead of this stupid short-term renovation Wilson should have had the foresight to work with someone, or a new owner, to build a new stadium. I have to think that it could have been negotiated when they negotiated that renovation and lease.
          Last edited by Fletch; 08-13-2014, 09:17 AM.
          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
          Originally Posted by pmoon6
          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

this is entirely political posturing. every stadium deal, not just specific to buffalo, has a lot of political back and forth. i wouldn't read too much into it.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              Apparently Poloncarz has never been to a sports venue outside of Buffalo, NY.

The Ralph is fine for diehard football fans who just want to go watch a game, but the NFL saturated that market years ago. They are going after amenities to entice rich people and companies to spend lots of money on luxury boxes, higher quality food and drink, etc, and experiences and novelties to attract more casual fans, and the Ralph doesn't hold up.

The league has changed and the Ralph hasn't been able to keep up. Personally, I don't like most of the changes but they are the reality, and if Buffalo can't change with the times then the NFL will do everything they can to put the team somewhere else.

Also, Poloncarz seems to be confusing the issue of need for a new stadium with the issue of whether it's wise to spend public funds on a new stadium.
              I have been to about 10 away Bills games.

None blew me away at all.

In fact I have been told by a few people that are involved with the current restoration that it will be a huge improvement.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                • Feb 2006

New stadium means outside dollars coming into Buffalo that probably wouldn't have been there otherwise. A new stadium would be fantastic for regional growth and tourism. It is more than just football.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by THATHURMANATOR View Post
                  I have been to about 10 away Bills games.

None blew me away at all.

In fact I have been told by a few people that are involved with the current restoration that it will be a huge improvement.
                  I've only been to two.

FedEx in DC blows. It was designed looking backward and looks like a stadium from the 70's even though it's only about 15 years old.

M&T bank stadium in Balt is a much better experience but it didn't blow me away either.

Here's the problem though: people like you and me are going to buy outdoor tickets and sit out in the elements and yell the whole game. Give us good sight lines, a good video replay board, and visible score boards with time and down and distance info, and we are set.

The people the NFL wants to be blown away are the people who are more casual football fans who need something beyond the game to show up, or people who are going to shell out for luxury boxes or club seats.

I've never been in a luxury box for football, but I would venture to guess that a luxury box experience in Buffalo doesn't even compare to one in Dallas People like you and me don't care, but the people that the NFL wants to impress do care.
                  Last edited by OpIv37; 08-13-2014, 11:34 AM.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• DraftBoy
                    Administrator
                    • Jul 2002

The NFL's goal with stadiums has nothing to do with actual fans, they know they have that market no matter what the stadiums are like.

They are trying to reach the casual fans and create an environment at the stadium around the game that can bring in more people and more money. You'll see a number of NFL stadiums now include entire vendor stations (and some video boards) dedicated to Fantasy Football. As a a hardcore fan you probably can't imagine going to a Bills game to leave your seat, walk to the fantasy football lounge and watch a few other teams play at the same time but that's how it will work in a number of stadiums this year.
                    COMING SOON...
                    Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                    We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                      [h=1]

“I think they are taking the opportunity to use this as a revenue grab,” Poloncarz said.[/I]
                      ...said one of the leaders of our vast public sector elite class with near-unlimited taxing authority. LOL.
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

i've been to metlife. it's pretty spectacular with the 4 score boards, if you sit in the seats i have at the ralph at metlife, it's amazing.

1. seperate and more entrances. No long lines to get in.
                        2. you enter into a large box that has a ton of concessions and lounge chairs and tvs. therefore, you can sit inside and watch some of the game, or watch the game as you are getting food.
                        3. they have a jets wine and wine bar. would be cool if a finger lake winery sponsored a bills wine that you could buy
                        4. plenty of bathrooms and no troughs.
                        5. the box you go to your seat has plenty of ways to enter and exit. therefore at the end of the game, the smaller rows have more exits and don't get bottle necked. it's pretty smooth exit to your car or train.
                        6. the box is so large that it comfortably holds the entire seating section its meant for. i was at a game where there was a rain delay and everyone moved in because of the lightning and it wasn't crowded, you could still get food, could watch highlights of other games. it made the rain delay a lot more bearable than just waiting for the game to start again.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                          • Sep 2004

This whole new stadium thing is a revenue grab. It's utterly ridiculous and unnecessary. If the NFL wants new stadiums every 5 minutes they should pony up for them. Or the billionaire owners. The days of tax payers funding these tributes to excess are pretty much over. The state should help with some infrastructure and that's it.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                            The Voice of Reason
                            • Jul 2007

In my young life, I've been to a few away stadiums. Each one has it's draw; NFL football. The locations, the "upgrades" I've witnessed over the years, it's all as DB stated, a new draw. "Oh, we just put $250 million in to Bank of America." You know what difference I noticed? There's now an escalator to the nosebleeds and a much larger screen. It's the promise to the taxpayers ($125 Million from the city of Charlotte's taxpayers) that if you go and see the hometown team, your investment was worth it. Thus Preferred Parking gets revenue, local enforcement venues get jobs, et cetera and so forth.

To the diehards (as per Op's point) these things go unnoticed. I'm not watching the super-mega-ultra-jumbotron, I'm watching what's on the field. I could've saved myself $200+ if I wanted to watch the game on a TV screen, but I digress... We aren't the ones shelling out hundreds/thousands for corporate boxes. I personally have been in a corporate box a few times at Three Rivers, Ralph Wilson, Heinz Field, and to a much lesser extent (and not football) PNC Park. I do not see the draw. They're fancy, sure, and they are expensive (although we didn't pay a dime) but if I'm going for the game, I'm going for the game, I'm not going with possible business partners. Now, as for the everyday fan:

Heinz Field: Few entrances, very crowded, poor parking, felt like the stadium was going to collapse at any moment. The field is poor, but as some Pittsburgh fans proudly stated, "it's built like the city. Rugged and tough." Ok. Vantage points were good, not really a bad seat in the house. Women talking about TV shows the entire game behind me.
                            Qualcomm Stadium: There are no redeeming qualities of this stadium, and I think anyone who has been there agrees. THIS is a stadium that needs to be torn down and that is a team that needs to get a new stadium. Currently holds a 3 star rating on Yelp. Parking was a nightmare.
                            Bank of America Field: Before and after renovations, pretty much the same. Excellent seating arrangements and plenty of room in the corridors. Entering is a hassle, and some seats give poor vantage of the field. Parking is OK for a downtown stadium, plenty of it.

I see his point; The Ralph draws a crowd. As long as there are Bills fans, they will flock, but for those who want the fancy, high class **** (and for The Dark One's pocketbook) they'll demand a new stadium.

Sissies.
                            Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• GingerP
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                              “I think they are taking the opportunity to use this as a revenue grab,” Poloncarz said.
                              Um... of course they are, is that a surprise? That is what the NFL is about.

Comment

Working...
                              X