• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buffalogic
    Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
    • Feb 2006

27 attempts, 140 yards

Preseason yadda yadda, but these low yardage totals from the QB position were a weekly occurance last year for EJ.

The latest game he needed 27 attempts to put up 140 yards. In order to sniff the 300 yard mark EJ will need to throw the ball a whopping 60 times a game. That's disastrous. EJ should be throwing 27 times per game, not per half.

This is a major problem and if the offense doesn't accept and modify their philosophy in order to adjust this we are going to be in a world of hurt as fans this year.
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

Re: 27 attempts, 140 yards

When you have a passing attack that is consistently productive like the Bills, why not throw the ball 60 times a game!

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Wagon Circler View Post
      This is a major problem and if the offense doesn't accept and modify their philosophy in order to adjust this we are going to be in a world of hurt as fans this year.
      Good luck with that.

For starters that would mean that the staff knows what they're doing.

Secondly, they've got the same dilemma that Jimbo Fisher and his crew had except that the Bills are not FSU and the rest of the league the ACC.
      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
      Originally Posted by pmoon6
      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Besides, how are they going to modify his behavior, specifically?

The problem seems to be the lack of a deep ball, but his deep ball accuracy sucks. We're not going to win many games by simply throwing it up guesswork style.

It seems to me that they're doing what you said, modifying their philosophy, but are now also simultaneously saying to themselves, "oh siht! He's not as good as we thought."

Seriously, good luck to them. Let's see what Downing can do after underachieving with Stafford.
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Downinfloflo
          Victimizing The Victimizer
          • Aug 2012

Sounds like your typical Buffalo Bills football.

Comment

• elltrain22
            • Sep 2003

News flash bud, EJ isn't going to make the pro bowl this year. He isn't Brady, Manning, or Brees by any means, but is he good enough to move the chains?? Russell Wilson doesn't light the world on fire with his stats (except for comp % and lack on Int's). Wilson manages the game. Seattle runs the ball a lot, and the Seahawks don't have to throw for 300 yds every game. I am not at all saying that EJ is Wilson or even close to it, but we have a solid run game, and possibly a decent defense. If EJ can move the chains like he has in preseason, then this team will win some games.
            If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
              Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I'm starting to lose faith in Manuel as well. Half his passes were off target, and he's way too quick to dump off every play.

He's not changing any of the doubters' minds let's just say.

Comment

• jimmifli
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                Half his passes were off target, and he's way too quick to dump off every play.
                I've noticed a couple of plays where he dumped it off and still had time, but for the most part his dump offs have been while facing pressure or a collapsing pocket.

The line is struggling at G and RT. Cordy's return should help, since Henderson has been alright in pass protection at LT (he looked lost on a couple of screens). But both G's are still giving up pressure.

Not excusing EJ's performance, but our line hasn't been stellar.

Comment

• Buffalogic
                  Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by elltrain22 View Post
                  News flash bud, EJ isn't going to make the pro bowl this year. He isn't Brady, Manning, or Brees by any means, but is he good enough to move the chains?? Russell Wilson doesn't light the world on fire with his stats (except for comp % and lack on Int's). Wilson manages the game. Seattle runs the ball a lot, and the Seahawks don't have to throw for 300 yds every game. I am not at all saying that EJ is Wilson or even close to it, but we have a solid run game, and possibly a decent defense. If EJ can move the chains like he has in preseason, then this team will win some games.
                  You get no points for moving the chains. You get points for scoring and 3 points a quarter isn't going to cut it. Nobody is asking him to be Brady. But he can't even be Dalton. It's sad.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Wagon Circler View Post
                    Preseason yadda yadda, but these low yardage totals from the QB position were a weekly occurance last year for EJ.

The latest game he needed 27 attempts to put up 140 yards. In order to sniff the 300 yard mark EJ will need to throw the ball a whopping 60 times a game. That's disastrous. EJ should be throwing 27 times per game, not per half.

15/25 199 1 TD 1 INT
                    18/27 206 1 TD 1 INT
                    11/27 108 1 TD 1 INT
                    15/23 172 1 TD 0 INT
                    ======================
                    09/18 103 0 TD 0 INT
                    16/25 215 1 TD 0 INT
                    18/25 206 2 TD 0 INT

You know what that was? The stat line or Russell Wilson's last 7 games last year. The reason for the divider? I was breaking up regular season from playoffs.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mr. Miyagi View Post
                      I'm starting to lose faith in Manuel as well. Half his passes were off target, and he's way too quick to dump off every play.

He's not changing any of the doubters' minds let's just say.

and yet he's driving his team down the field and putting us in position to score points. Now if we (as it's not all on EJ why we've failed to score TDs) could just manage to get a TD here or there instead of having to settle on a FG or go for it on 4th down in lieu of accepting a FG we might have won every preseason we've played this year.

Comment

• EDS
                        • Jan 2003

Russell Wilson is averaging over 8 yards per pass attempt for his career, without the benefit of a very good offensive line or (except for a very small period of time given Harvin's injuries) a bona fide number one receiver. But yes, he is a game manager, and I am sure we can expect similar results from EJ.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                          • Feb 2005

Exactly!! But that's nowhere good enough for those who must proclaim they are right. If he ain't Luck, Manning, Brady then he "sucks" period.

Comment

• Mike
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm View Post
                            Exactly!! But that's nowhere good enough for those who must proclaim they are right. If he ain't Luck, Manning, Brady then he "sucks" period.
                            Your mistaking a couple of trees for the forest.

Wilson is 'that good' and he does have that 'it' quality!

No other QB has had a better start to his nfl career! Wilson is GOAT in his first 2 seasons!

Rookie
                            Record 26TDs as a rookie playing for a team that had a hard time making the playoffs!

Took them to playoffs as a wild card and won first game. Lead a huge 20+ point come from behind vs Atlanta @ atl to grab a lead in last minuets of the game. The Seatle defense lost lead & game by allowing Atlanta to kick game winning FG.

2nd Season
                            Threw for 26TD, had a bit of a sophomore slump but played lights out when it counted most: vs 49ers in championship game (against an awesome D) and in SB vs Broncos.

* No other QB has ever won more games to start career than Wilson
                            * No other rookie has more TDs
                            * No 2 year player has had more TDs other than Marino
                            * Great Completion %
                            * Pro-Bowler

When Brady won his 1st SB people were saying same thing. Great D & run game he had little to do with winning. Then in time, Brady became 'Brady' and now he is the reason "well, they have Brady'.

**** If you think I'm wrong, think about all the great defensive teams than never won an SB. Think of all of the QBs that were drafted by some of those great Defensive teams that couldn't do what Wilson did. ****

If it's that easy, it would be common!
                            Please Make Sense

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              Your mistaking a couple of trees for the forest.

Wilson is 'that good' and he does have that 'it' quality!

No other QB has had a better start to his nfl career! Wilson is GOAT in his first 2 seasons!

Rookie
                              Record 26TDs as a rookie playing for a team that had a hard time making the playoffs!

Took them to playoffs as a wild card and won first game. Lead a huge 20+ point come from behind vs Atlanta @ atl to grab a lead in last minuets of the game. The Seatle defense lost lead & game by allowing Atlanta to kick game winning FG.

2nd Season
                              Threw for 26TD, had a bit of a sophomore slump but played lights out when it counted most: vs 49ers in championship game (against an awesome D) and in SB vs Broncos.

* No other QB has ever won more games to start career than Wilson
                              * No other rookie has more TDs
                              * No 2 year player has had more TDs other than Marino
                              * Great Completion %
                              * Pro-Bowler

When Brady won his 1st SB people were saying same thing. Great D & run game he had little to do with winning. Then in time, Brady became 'Brady' and now he is the reason "well, they have Brady'.

**** If you think I'm wrong, think about all the great defensive teams than never won an SB. Think of all of the QBs that were drafted by some of those great Defensive teams that couldn't do what Wilson did. ****

If it's that easy, it would be common!
                              The fact is if you put Andrew Luck or RGIII in Seattle instead of Wilson and you could argue they'd be just as successful assuming the Seahawks didn't have to use a 1st Round pick on them. As I think that's what makes up Wilson's value. As you look at his numbers and he is a game manager as eluded. Sure he's had a few big games of 3 TDs sprinkled in to improve his overall stats but if you're telling me Russell is great I will argue that having 10 games he played last year with 1 or less TDs passing makes him average to below average. Face it playing with one of the league's defenses and Marshawn Lynch has been amongst the top 5 RBs the last two seasons has helped Wilson tons. Imagine if Luck had a RB as good as Lynch to pair with his skill set and a D as strong as the Seahawks which team/player would you wager on winning?

Comment

Working...
                              X