• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

A Football Team With A Quarterback Problem III

Going to preface this that I only half watched the game the other night as I was sitting there talking to a friend I hadn't seen in a long time and the sound wasn't on. I didn't think it was all bad however got pretty frustrated they can't punch it in for a TD. I've also got to say I might have over estimated the team as well ... there is a chance the whole team might just be bad.

Id' like to hear what others think in this thread.
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: A Football Team With A Quarterback Problem III

I'm not worried about the defense. The oline is, yet again, a work in progress, but at least we have some glimmer of promise from a few of the young guys. IMO we are stacked at RB and WR and once the line-up is settled and the 'starters' are playing 60 minutes they'll be fine. As far as QB specifically, I think EJ has gotten a little bit better but in all honesty was hoping to see a little bit more progress than he's displayed so far. Tuel and Lewis have both struggled more than they should have also, considering both are in their second year in this system. All three QBs need to kick it up a notch or two...or six.

I don't think the whole team is 'bad', but they will never be better than their weakest link, and at this point that again appears to be a tie between QB and oline.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Typ0
      honey pie
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
      I'm not worried about the defense. The oline is, yet again, a work in progress, but at least we have some glimmer of promise from a few of the young guys. IMO we are stacked at RB and WR and once the line-up is settled and the 'starters' are playing 60 minutes they'll be fine. As far as QB specifically, I think EJ has gotten a little bit better but in all honesty was hoping to see a little bit more progress than he's displayed so far. Tuel and Lewis have both struggled more than they should have also, considering both are in their second year in this system. All three QBs need to kick it up a notch or two...or six.

I don't think the whole team is 'bad', but they will never be better than their weakest link, and at this point that again appears to be a tie between QB and oline.

it feels like we either see a decent oline or decent skill positions but never both. That is frustrating.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
        The Voice of Reason
        • Jul 2007

Not just because of preseason, not just because of optimism/pessimism, not just because I don't want to believe the crap I've seen so far...

I would like to see the entire starting, healthy group on the field in a regular season game before I speculate. The preseason games mean squat. Yes, they're a good indication of where players are, they're a good indication of scheme, and they're the players actually playing and honing their craft, BUT, they have yet to play 60 minutes of no scrubs/no hand holding/meaningful football.

Hackett's play calling has been pedestrian and disappointing, but it's preseason. EJ hasn't found the endzone, but he's progressing. The O-line has looked mediocre, but they're getting healthy. Those are the controllable/changeable things. Searcy getting burned by Brown with 2 DB's running in to each other, and Gilmore getting torched, THOSE are what worry me, and those are the things that come Week 1 need to go away.

Until Manuel's regular season win/loss tally starts resembling Brady Quinn, I can't speculate on where this team is.
        Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Originally posted by Typ0 View Post
          Going to preface this that I only half watched the game the other night as I was sitting there talking to a friend I hadn't seen in a long time and the sound wasn't on. I didn't think it was all bad however got pretty frustrated they can't punch it in for a TD. I've also got to say I might have over estimated the team as well ... there is a chance the whole team might just be bad.

Id' like to hear what others think in this thread.
          There's no logical reason to think that this team has improved. Even by Whaley's statements how much it improves hangs almost entirely on Watkins and Williams presence. I mean how foolish is that.

I think that if we can hit the same 6-10 that we've hit the last three seasons we'll be fortunate, expecially with a much tougher schedule. We're going to get roasted in the passing department on D. I cannot understand how that translates to anything better than 6-10 in today's NFL.

Offensively we can't pass deep, or don't, or likely a combination of the two. Jackson's aging and this can very easily be the season that he just doesn't cut it anymore as a starter. But we have no one behind him capable of doing what he does despite the notion that everyone claims that Brown is that RB even though no evidence exists for this.

Trading away next year's 1st (and 4th let's not forget) are going to sting if it ends up that we could have taken a killer QB.

But, as Bills fans this is exactly what we've come to know and expect from our marvelous front office.
          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
          Originally Posted by pmoon6
          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
            Not just because of preseason, not just because of optimism/pessimism, not just because I don't want to believe the crap I've seen so far...

I would like to see the entire starting, healthy group on the field in a regular season game before I speculate. The preseason games mean squat. Yes, they're a good indication of where players are, they're a good indication of scheme, and they're the players actually playing and honing their craft, BUT, they have yet to play 60 minutes of no scrubs/no hand holding/meaningful football.

Hackett's play calling has been pedestrian and disappointing, but it's preseason. EJ hasn't found the endzone, but he's progressing. The O-line has looked mediocre, but they're getting healthy. Those are the controllable/changeable things. Searcy getting burned by Brown with 2 DB's running in to each other, and Gilmore getting torched, THOSE are what worry me, and those are the things that come Week 1 need to go away.

Until Manuel's regular season win/loss tally starts resembling Brady Quinn, I can't speculate on where this team is.
            You saw the starting units on the field, last season. There really isn't much of a difference.

In Spike, out Byrd on D. In one-dimensional MLB with zero pass-D skills, in a passing league; Out one of the league's premier FS's who was a ball hawk on pass D.

Gone: Alonso, whose lack of presence alone makes this team worse on D.

Out Stevie, in Williams and Watkins. To date Watkins hasn't proven anything outside of practice averaging 7 yards-per-catch and having the worst catch to target ratio of any WR besides Graham, who will probably be cut. Watkins will probably be good even if not great, but clearly there's more of a learning curve for him here than most of you expected or wanted. He's still a rookie and announcers were citing the fact that he struggled against the CBs.

It's all moot because of Manuel.

Jackson's one year older on the wrong side of 30.

There aren't a lot of differences between this year's team and last year's, except for the losses on D.

The schedule's also tougher. I'm not sure how many times I have to point this out, but we couldn't beat one team ranked above average last season in the passing game, this year we play more of them. How are we going to beat them this season? By sitting here saying that it's going to happen in a forum? While some of you are stupid enough to believe that it's clearly not the case.
            Last edited by Fletch; 08-19-2014, 07:19 AM.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Historian
              2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
              • Dec 2002

What bothers me, is that I have not seen crisp execution by the offense, when the starters are in. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

The D looks good, not great.

What I have noticed, is that despite the fact that penalties are up across the board throughout the league, the Bills have played pretty disciplined.

I see that as a good sign.

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                What bothers me, is that I have not seen crisp execution by the offense, when the starters are in. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

The D looks good, not great.

What I have noticed, is that despite the fact that penalties are up across the board throughout the league, the Bills have played pretty disciplined.

I see that as a good sign.
                Some high points that I've noticed, Mike Williams seems to be playing well enough, and Seantrel, whom I expected would be good but nonetheless.

I'm not seeing a lot of other positives. Some have mentioned that Preston Brown has played well, I cannot disagree more. Spikes is playing OK, seems to be doing what he does, play well vs. the run, not play well vs. the pass. Gilmore is struggling big time and doesn't match what many here are saying about him. He's good, but not a great CB right now. We have no other.

Manuel is clearly holding the offense back. Spiller hasn't shown much. Once again this team is relying far to heavily on a player that's 33 and the oldest RB in the NFL.

Coaching sucks.

Post #46

------

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

I am beginning to think that it's more on Hackett than Manuel. We're moving the ball and moving it efficiently, when we get to the red zone we crap all over ourselves.

We have a WR who can go up and get the ball we have a quick WR on slants we have a 6'7" TE we have a plethora of RB's, we need to call better plays, use the bunch set, swing two TE's to one side, show some kind of creativity down in the red zone.
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

I wonder how much of the play calling is vanilla as not to give anything away . Even if they are making basic/vanilla play calling, the mark of a good team is being able to impose their will. When everyone is doing what they are supposed to do, any play call gets done.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

See I completely disagree about some of the comments on the play calling. I do believe we can engage in talk about individual players but any time you want to make the jump to team stuff it's not appropriate in preseason. Call it Vanilla if you want I think it goes deeper than that. Not only are you working with a vanilla playbook at the time but you are also going to call the plays that challenge YOUR players the most not the opposing teams players. The practice and mentality of the coaching and team is completely opposite in this fashion between pre season and regular season.

Comment

Working...
                      X