• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

I guess someone needs to start it.

I know it's preseason, and this is practice game angst, but I am not feeling encouraged about this team.

QB situation looks alarming, next years draft compromised for insta win I don't see, offensive line looks worse, giving Glenn a flyer for his missed time, defense looks worse (to me, if a bit better against the run atm), Whaley gets negatives for trading the pick on a receiver who might not have anyone to sling at him, which reminds me of the Spiller pick of a great talent if you have anyone to use it, hiring a poor QB coach and not signing a vet looks worse than not hiring a QB coach and having a fragile vet, they look undisciplined and underschooled after a real long camp. Branch was fine with Pettine, who we don't have, and another neg to Whaley for resigning the loafing defensive misfit. Moeaki was an airball tight end who proved to be Moeaki, and good guy Marrone from last year has become profanity enraged guy this year, indicating at least to me, he's lost at how to get everyone on the same page.

Plus side, Hughes looks like not a mistake, Seantrel Henderson looks like a late round steal, Dan Carpenter looks sharp, Moorman still looks like an NFL punter if not a great one, Fred Jackson is still here, and Marrone has gone from good guy last year to being profanity enraged guy this year, indicating he's flexible.

I know it's preseason and this is preseason angst but I'm not feeling encouraged. Not gonna argue, but is anyone ?
  • DynaPaul
    • Sep 2003

Re: I guess someone needs to start it.

No... not really. Especially with the QB play. You know, the light isn't magically going to go on for EJ come the first game of the season. These pre-season games are just giving us a glimpse of what we're going to see ALL season long. Like I said, if there's no improvement from him by the end of the season it's seriously doubtful that he'll develop.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
      Skoobasaurus-Rex
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DynaPaul View Post
      No... not really. Especially with the QB play. You know, the light isn't magically going to go on for EJ come the first game of the season. These pre-season games are just giving us a glimpse of what we're going to see ALL season long. Like I said, if there's no improvement from him by the end of the season it's seriously doubtful that he'll develop.
      It's pretty hard to swallow but boy was the whole offense disorganized.

Comment

• Turf
        • Jul 2002

This is what happens when a rookie head coach hires a rook offensive coordinator.
        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Mace
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Turf View Post
          This is what happens when a rookie head coach hires a rook offensive coordinator.
          ...without a qb coach or a mentoring vet for the rook QB, and then a bad one and none.....

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Mace View Post
            ...without a qb coach or a mentoring vet for the rook QB, and then a bad one and none.....
            I really believe that Kolb would have had the job last year for as long as he stayed healthy. Unfortunately in true Kevin Kolb fashion he spiked himself. I can't really fault the team for going with him as they probably figured they'd get about a half of a year of him behind center while EJ was being groomed and then got into some game action.

What I can fault the team for is nothing was done this past offseason to address the QB situation. A situation where I still think the best of the three is Thad Lewis I might add, but it's more than evident that none of the three are good enough.

Even if you're going Manuel or bust, he's still a good that so far has shown to be injury prone so you need some kind of contingency plan for if/when he goes down to play respectable football games and try to remain in the hunt.

We can run the ball which has been proven for a few years now and we'd be able to run the ball even more effectively if there was a QB who keep defenses honest. The OL while not the best in the league is somewhere in the middle of pack, which is plenty good enough. And, on paper, the wide receiver corps should be plenty good enough along with Chandler who has shown to be a nice safety valve sure he's no Jimmy Graham, Jordan Cameron or Rob Gronkowski but not many are.

Defensively, I think the loss of Byrd is gonna show. The corners don't appear to be good enough to play out on islands which certainly has been what Schwartz has been trying to do with them. The pass rush doesn't look as solid as last year but a change in scheme will do that. However against the run the first teamers have looked stout. But as was pointed out in another thread, it looks like the scheme/calls are to crash down on the LOS. This might prove to be a detriment against teams with quicker running backs who can bounce it outside and get around the end. We shall see.

I think against better passing teams this team will have difficulty stopping them and won't be good enough offensively to score enough points to stay in those games. Against rush heavy teams, we'll be in slugfests. In a pass heavy NFL that leads to another sub .500 record and top 10 pick we no longer have.

Comment

• Fletch
              • May 2007

Marrone's in over his head. Branch now arrested. Marrone has no control over the players. Not sure he ever did. He sure doesn't know what he's doing as a coach.

Interesting to see all the "trolls" emerging all of a sudden though. Kinda soon.
              http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
              (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
              Originally Posted by pmoon6
              The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
              ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• directFX
                • Sep 2006

I think the most telling thing about this thread is the Moorman statement.... Lol.

Even Bills alum Tasker and Bentley admitted he was not punting well at all.

Conjecture. All of it.

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by directFX View Post
                  I think the most telling thing about this thread is the Moorman statement.... Lol.

Conjecture. All of it.
                  Conjecture?

I think that there's plenty of evidence that Marrone is in well over his head and that Manuel is never going to amount to much.

Hackett stinks. Whaley doesn't know what he's doing either, there's plenty of evidence to at least throw it out there reasonably.

I'll tell ya what's conjecture, that this team has a shot at a winning record, that's conjecture.
                  http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                  (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                  Originally Posted by pmoon6
                  The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                  ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Downinfloflo
                    Victimizing The Victimizer
                    • Aug 2012

E.J Manuel still looks like a frightened rookie, The guy has not taken a single step forward.

Comment

• RedEyE
                      • Jul 2002

Yeah EJ was sub par at best, but the penalties and the receivers dropping to the ground mid route sure didn't help things. Spiller still looks exactly as he did last year.

3rd and 35?!!?? ****ing pathetic. The entire offense should be running high school grass drills until 2 in the morning.

Comment

• Mace
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by directFX View Post

Not sure what you missed that I said, he looked like an NFL punter not a great one. It's probably telling that you focused on quibbling about punting. Any issues finding more telling things for hopeful ? Well you can't can you, so you get stuck on a sentence about punting. It's telling.

Comment

• coastal
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Mar 2005

Put it this way... the best defensive player in the last two years who is going to play this year is Leodis McKelvin.

nuff said.

Comment

• Typ0
                            honey pie
                            • Jul 2002

The only reason for the status of our QB situation is this organization is not serious about winning...but we knew that didn't we?

Comment

• Swiper
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2010

I'm not going to comment about the QB play, because everyone here knows how I feel. Manuel just goes out again every week and proves me right. But what seems interesting was the change in play calling between two halves. Even Steve Tasker said before half that the "Bills seemed to be using the same 4 plays over and over and it seems like the Buccaneers have figured them out."

But in the second half, Hackett seemed to open it up... with some of those Manuel pass completions in the first two drives. And with the plays called after that. I know the Bucs were using second stringers at that point, but it let Manuel get rolling a little. Didn't Hackett get criticized about this last preseason as well?

Comment

Working...
                              X