X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elltrain22
    • Sep 2003

3 good things & 3 bad things….

Truth be told, I am not happy at all!! I could probably identify WAY more than 3 bad things, but to keep my sanity and to keep this thread not so long that nobody reads it, here ya go…

3 good things:

1. Our run coverage is a lot better. Our Lb'ers, esp Spikes & Bradham close those gaps up quick, and a lot times makes plays behind the line of scrimmage.

2. Robert Woods does indeed look poised to have a very big year. I really like what he brings to the table.

3. I am an idiot for not putting Landon Cohen on my 53 man roster about 2 weeks ago. I actually had Branch over Cohen (man am I stupid??-- don't answer that). Cohen is a freaking beast!! He deserves not only to make the team, but deserves PT right out the gate.

3 bad things:

1. gee I wonder what is first… yup EJ! Yeah his 2nd half was really good, but it was against TB's scrubs. He made good throws, good reads, and finally throw more than 5 yard check downs. The first half was a train wreck!! Accuracy was awful, pocket awareness was terrible, and the most annoying thing was always NOT throwing the ball!! Stop throwing it for 3 yards to Fred Jackson or Scott Chandler. Give Woods & Williams a chance to make a play!!

2. Brian Moorman is def' a Bills Wall of Fame candidate, and he's a great dude, who has had a terrific career. SAd to say, but he's probably the Bills best player over the last 15 years (not saying much). What is even sadder?? His crappy punts!! He's got no foot anymore, and it feels like he's on this roster b/c of what he was, and not what he is now. Did you see TB's punter booming them? TB won the field position battle b/c of their punter, and that was a big reason why our offense struggled so much.

3. Our run coverage is a lot better, and I really like our front 7, but our secondary has been very disappointing. I don't know what the exact stats are, but it seems like each preseason game we've let the opposing qb's complete at least 70% of passes. We also gave up a lot of costly 3rd and longs.

I could've easily talked about penalties, but we've been alright w/ that so far this preseason. And a dishonorable mention goes to Nate Hackett for calling horrible plays again. It better be b/c its just "preseason"

your turn to vent…
    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...
  • MitchMurrayDowntown
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

Re: 3 good things & 3 bad things….

3 good- remodeled stadium didn't collapse, nobody died at the stadium yesterday, sun was shining.

3 bad - Coaching, offense, defense all in the first half.

Comment

• don137
      • Jul 2002

Positives: Run defense looks like real deal. CJ played great despite penalties negating a lot of nice plays. WRs are better as a whole compared to last year (however I am not confident EJ can get them the ball or may get them killed by locking onto them so defense knows where he is going)
      Negative: chandler. This guy is such a liability. He makes way too many critical mistakes. Falling down that led to Int is just his latest. In Carolina game he whiffed his block on 4th down which led to Freddy not making first down at two yard line. EJ. Mr Dink and Dunk himself. Locks on to his receivers and inaccurate. Other than that he played well. OL penalties: drive killers especially when EJ will not go vertical.

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
        3 good- remodeled stadium didn't collapse, nobody died at the stadium yesterday, sun was shining.
        LOL
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Originally posted by elltrain22 View Post
          Truth be told, I am not happy at all!! .

2. Robert Woods does indeed look poised to have a very big year. I really like what he brings to the table.

1. gee I wonder what is first… yup EJ! Yeah his 2nd half was really good, but it was against TB's scrubs. He made good throws, good reads, and finally throw more than 5 yard check downs. The first half was a train wreck!! Accuracy was awful, pocket awareness was terrible, and the most annoying thing was always NOT throwing the ball!! Stop throwing it for 3 yards to Fred Jackson or Scott Chandler. Give Woods & Williams a chance to make a play!!

3. Our run coverage is a lot better, and I really like our front 7, but our secondary has been very disappointing. I don't know what the exact stats are, but it seems like each preseason game we've let the opposing qb's complete at least 70% of passes. We also gave up a lot of costly 3rd and longs.

your turn to vent…
          No vent but no WR on this team is going to have a big year with Manuel (or any of our backups) in at QB. I put a 800-and-some yard ceiling on any single WR on this team including Watson.

Good thing we've been saving EJ, huh. Marrone's in way over his head along with Whaley. But I will give Marrone partial props for doing what he should have been doing all season long, leaving Manuel in the game for all but the last two drives, but I would have left him in there for those too. Not that it's going to make a difference, it won't, but I have no idea what Marrone thinks he is saving. He's saving a QB that can't get the O to cross the goal line.

Get used to the secondary disappointing you. It was only last season in our sack & pass-rush happy defense that they looked halfway good. I say halfway because last season we actually allowed 3 more passing TDs than we had the season before.
          Williams is a known quanity and isn't good, McKelvin sucks as a CB, Graham is a serviceable starter but not much more, and Gilmore seems to be regressing, whether it's the coaching, him, both is irrelevant. Searcy's not good, Robey's OK. Losing Byrd is going to hurt, a lot more than most people think.

Either way, it's the offense where everyone has been pointing for improvement, but I have no idea why anyone thinks that it's going to crack the bottom 10 offenses, if even that.

As to Spiller, typical performance, one 18 yard run, no taking anything to the house, and the rest of the game was third-rate garbage from him.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

Speaking of "saving Manuel," he should play the entire game against Detroit.

Marrone does stupid things like making the team run sprints, but Manuel can't cross the goal line against any 1st team defenses and he "saves" him.

I mean can this be any more of a joke at this point regarding Manuel. He didn't even average 4 ypa against Tampa's 1st-teamers. His YPA on the preseason can't be higher than 5 against 1st teams.

Both Manuel and our secondary are going to get smoked when the season begins.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by elltrain22 View Post
            I'm actually starting to think that our leading WR is going to be Williams.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Homegrown
              Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
              • Jul 2008

#1 Bad Thing - I wasted yet another beautiful late summer/early autumn day watching TV, as I have for the last decade and a half.

Comment

• gebobs
                One Bills Drive, Georgia - 871 miles south of Orchard Park
                • Sep 2003

Originally posted by Homegrown View Post
                #1 Bad Thing - I wasted yet another beautiful late summer/early autumn day watching TV, as I have for the last decade and a half.
                There were some beautiful Sundays back in the late 60's, the early/mid/late 70's, and the early/mid 80's that I wasted too.
                Lehner's history. He just doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                  Administrator
                  • Jul 2002

Against 2nd and 3rd teamers or not having EJ lead back to back TD drives is something he can finally build on from this preseason. Nobody is happy with his overall play but for the first time this year he consistently made multiple reads, found open WR's and threw some really nice intermediate passes.

It was only two drives, but except for one mistake in the redzone he was pretty flawless which was nice to see. Not sure it means anything but it was definitely a positive for him.
                  COMING SOON...
                  Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                  We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• EDS
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                    Against 2nd and 3rd teamers or not having EJ lead back to back TD drives is something he can finally build on from this preseason. Nobody is happy with his overall play but for the first time this year he consistently made multiple reads, found open WR's and threw some really nice intermediate passes.

It was only two drives, but except for one mistake in the redzone he was pretty flawless which was nice to see. Not sure it means anything but it was definitely a positive for him.
                    I tend to agree, I was encouraged by EJ having a consistent drive or two. That said, the first half was deeply troubling and given the competition I think the more pertinent measure of EJ's development/current level of play. I can't imagine anyone in the organization is satisfied with the teams performance against Tampa Bay. The fact that Tampa Bay is coming off of a 4-12 season should remind everyone that this was not exactly a clash of titans, so getting dominated by another bad team better cause Marrone and the team to work harder in the weeks ahead.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                      Administrator
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by EDS View Post
                      I tend to agree, I was encouraged by EJ having a consistent drive or two. That said, the first half was deeply troubling and given the competition I think the more pertinent measure of EJ's development/current level of play. I can't imagine anyone in the organization is satisfied with the teams performance against Tampa Bay. The fact that Tampa Bay is coming off of a 4-12 season should remind everyone that this was not exactly a clash of titans, so getting dominated by another bad team better cause Marrone and the team to work harder in the weeks ahead.
                      Agreed fully, his work v 1st team D's has been bad but at this point we are looking for anything he can build on.
                      COMING SOON...
                      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

I agree it was nice to see some positive. I am confident it's there but the consistency is what the issue is.

Comment

• Novacane
                          • Jul 2002

I agree. Even if it was against the backups he still had to make the throws and it was encouraging to see him make them. In the first half it looked like all the dink and dunk passes were the plays called. It seemed like they decided they had to open up the playbook a bit to get something for the O's confidence. Was anyone even running longer routes in the first half? Being at the game and being down so low it was hard to tell.

Comment

• paladin warrior
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Oct 2004

Bad things is too many plenty flags holding called , false start, open wide open

Comment

• Lone Stranger
                              • Sep 2002

Nobody has commented but who was coaching the team across the field. He was available when we selected Marrone. Was there any doubt who was the better coach.

Comment

Working...
                              X