SI Don Banks: Playing EJ in the final game is a no lose scenario ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skooby
    Skoobasaurus-Rex
    • Oct 2011

SI Don Banks: Playing EJ in the final game is a no lose scenario ?

Unless I'm reading this wrong, this writer seems to be implying that risking EJ playing in this last game is a no lose scenario even if EJ gets hurt, wow:

There’s talent galore in Buffalo, on defense and at the skill positions on offense. Stop us if you’ve heard this one before, but the Bills' quarterback play is what is holding them back. Maybe getting the start in Buffalo’s preseason finale against visiting Detroit on Thursday night will be some sort of last-minute difference-maker for Manuel. At this point, Buffalo may not have all that much to lose by taking the gamble of playing him in a meaningless game.

This is not the time of year coaches want to be sweating out a starting quarterback injury, slump or crisis of confidence, but to varying degrees of urgency around the league, problems at the position certainly exist in camps around the league. Here’s a quick review of the most concerning quarterback situations, ranked from the most pressing to the least.
  • Mace
    Haha...yeah you think so ?
    • Mar 2013

Re: SI Don Banks: Playing EJ in the final game is a no lose scenario ?

Well, I sort of agree in playing him a sizable chunk. He needs all the game time he can get even against scrubs, and frankly by now he should know not to run for 2 yards, when to get out of bounds, when to throw it away, and the context of the game itself. He shouldn't even get dirt on his pants much less get savagely injured by scrubs unless he's going down in week one against the A team anyway.

If he goes down, "oh no !!!", but let's face it, we all think he's going down anyway at some point so it's time he shows he's smart enough to evade scrubs and knows when to throw it away so they don't get near him and can surgically dissect scrubs at least.

Comment

• Homegrown
      Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
      • Jul 2008

His take on EJ reminds me of a line from a Dylan song, "When you ain't got nothing - you got nothing to lose" ...

Comment

• THRILLHO
        This is great, and all I've done is enter my name!
        • Feb 2009

I have felt this way since before the HOF game. If EJ is injury prone, he will get injured. He will get injured either in the pre-season or regular season. EJ also needs to learn. I'd rather take the chance and let him learn all that he can in the pre-season. If he gets injured, then he does. There is nothing we can do to prevent that.

Make him play the first half, or even 3 quarters of this last game. We need to see improvement. Healthy knees mean nothing if he can't complete passes.
        True fans want wins, not draft picks.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
          Unreachable Douche
          • Jul 2002

No one gets better sitting on the bench.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

The entire offense needs to play until they show they can stop the stupid penalties which really is inhibiting EJ and the other young player's development.

Comment

• better days
              • Jan 2010

I concur, let the games begin.

Comment

• Scumbag College
                • Oct 2002

Let's have the starters on offense and defense play the whole game and really beat the **** out of the Lions 3rd stringers and guys about to be cut.
                Remember Kevin Everett in your thoughts.

Vote Nader in 2008!

http://www.votenader.org/

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

If anyone on the starting O-line or offense gets hurt playing with scrubs, it could alter our season. It's not like their going to put EJ out there with all 2 / 3 stringers starting. Sammy got a knee to the ribs in the preseason which sidelined him, so should we risk his health for no gain ??

Comment

• RedEyE
                    • Jul 2002

Playing him against 2nd, 3rd and no stringers would only build a false sense of confidence. Throw him in for the 1st qrtr, but give Tuel and Jordan the majority of reps. Hate to say it but EJ is going to have to continue to learn on the fly starting with Chicago.

Comment

• kishoph
                      • Jun 2003

Originally posted by MitchMurrayDowntown View Post
                      If anyone on the starting O-line or offense gets hurt playing with scrubs, it could alter our season. It's not like their going to put EJ out there with all 2 / 3 stringers starting. Sammy got a knee to the ribs in the preseason which sidelined him, so should we risk his health for no gain ??

I agree with you, I don't like the idea of having the starting offense out there today. I imagine there's nothing more that a Lions player on the bubble would love than to put a massive hit on a QB, RB, or receiver to try and impress his coaches.

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                        The entire offense needs to play until they show they can stop the stupid penalties which really is inhibiting EJ and the other young player's development.
                        More than that, they need to play until they can show that they can play some coordinated football over an extended period of time, which they haven't done yet.

It's too late now, they're going to have to go into the regular season like this.
                        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                        Originally Posted by pmoon6
                        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• OLDSRIP
                          • Dec 2008

The Oline needs reps together as much as EJ needs work.

tough decision. Sure hope no one gets hurt. They have been really fortunate
                          with injurys this camp.

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

The talent on the OL is good, lots of talent. Henderson is excellent if he can keep his head. Glenn is very good, Wood is excellent as well. Those are the three most key positions right there. Depth is good too. I once again hearken back to the way it was at FSU.

Manuel had sack issues there in a big way and they had a fantastic OL. So I'll default to the notion that it's him, not the OL.

Here's an article about how sacks didn't end drives at FSU last season the way that they did when Manuel was there.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                            (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                            Originally Posted by pmoon6
                            The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

I think he plays the 1st half

Comment

Working...
                              X