• Show
Clear All
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Pundit rates QB corps

Bucky Brooks bops Buf:

Colts, Saints, Chargers boast NFL's top quarterback situations
    By Bucky Brooks NFL Media analyst Published: Sept. 1, 2014 at 02:42 p.m. Updated: Sept. 1, 2014 at 09:00 p.m.

32) Buffalo Bills
    Starter: EJ Manuel
    Backup: Kyle Orton

Outlook: Buffalo is primed to make a postseason run, based on a wealth of talent on both sides of the ball, but Manuel's shaky preseason has sparked concerns about his readiness as a starter. There is already a feeling around the NFL that veteran Kyle Orton -- brought in to stabilize the backup position -- could unseat the second-year pro in a few weeks. Given the overall instability at the position, the Bills are in a bit of a quandary.".

Andrew Luck has boundless potential. Matt Hasselbeck has Pro Bowl-caliber experience. Put them together and it's a win for the Colts. Bucky Brooks ranks all 32 QB situations in the NFL.
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.
  • Turf
    • Jul 2002

Re: Pundit rates QB corps

Once again, thanks Buddy. Who decided to hire this hick.
    Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

He is CRAZY to rate the Colts with Luck #1.

IMO, the Colts should be about #10.

Luck had a CMP% of 54.1% his rookie year & 60.2% last year.

EJ's CMP% of 58.8 compares very well to Luck, yet Luck is #1 & EJ is #32?

Too high for Luck & too low for EJ IMO.

I think the Bills should be above the Texans with Fitz & Rams with Hill & maybe a few others.

Comment

• Topas
        German smartass
        • Feb 2014

better days, are you kidding me?
        First, do you really want to compare EJ to Luck. Ok, it is fine to compare them, but it is not fine to find them comparable.
        And second, this is also about the backup and while Hasselbeck is not the Pro-Bowl player he once was, he is definitely a lot better than Orton.

And our QB situation should be rated 33rd out of 32 teams at best. Yes, EJ might click and everything might work out. There is still the possibility. But the last 15 months told us that the probability for EJ to click is lower than for all other starting QBs. Having only the next 16 games in mind, Fitz would be a better option. And thats says more about EJ than about Fitz.

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

We're running the ball anyways. How about someone rate our rb's.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Topas View Post
            better days, are you kidding me?
            First, do you really want to compare EJ to Luck. Ok, it is fine to compare them, but it is not fine to find them comparable.
            And second, this is also about the backup and while Hasselbeck is not the Pro-Bowl player he once was, he is definitely a lot better than Orton.

And our QB situation should be rated 33rd out of 32 teams at best. Yes, EJ might click and everything might work out. There is still the possibility. But the last 15 months told us that the probability for EJ to click is lower than for all other starting QBs. Having only the next 16 games in mind, Fitz would be a better option. And thats says more about EJ than about Fitz.
            If you read my post, I did not say the Bills with EJ should be rated anywhere near the Colts with Luck.

I am saying #1 with Luck is too high a rating, there are much better QB's than him like Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Peyton, etc.

I said the Colts should be at about #10.

I am also saying, the Bills at #32 is too low. EJ is better than Fitz & Hill & probably a few others.

And if Hasselbeck were any good, he would be starting somewhere with all the CRAPPY starters in the NFL.

Comment

• stuckincincy
              Buffalo Bills Fan
              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
              We're running the ball anyways. How about someone rate our rb's.
              Emphasizing running the ball in the age of unprecedented advantage handed over to the passing game. Hmm...

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                Outlook: Buffalo is primed to make a postseason run, based on a wealth of talent on both sides of the ball, ...
                I think that as the season progresses we're going to quickly learn that this "wealth of talent" on defense is paper talent only. I us being a bottom-half defense easily this season.

The offense has some talent pending several things.

First, whether a role-playing RB is capable of actually doing more this season, particularly on 3rd downs, something that hasn't happened in his four seasons in the league to date.

Second, to what extent Jackson is capable of playing as the league's oldest RB at 33, particularly on yards-per-carry.

Third, to what extent Watkins is the player that everyone is expecting. It's one thing to perform in camp against a bunch of players that are no longer on the team, or against our questionable secondary otherwise, but in preseason he struggled against starting CBs even before he got hurt and otherwise showed nothing with 3 grabs for 21 yards on 7 targets.

Fourth, to what extent will Woods develop and improve? Is he going to end up being a 700-800 yard WR, or is he capable of putting up 1,000-1,200 yards? We don't know.

Fifth, how is Williams going to play here? Again, we don't know.

Sixth, what are we going to get from our TE play which is dicey on paper.

Those are a lot of question marks for a team with such a "wealth of talent." The WRs are very young and inexperienced apart from Williams.
                http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                Originally Posted by pmoon6
                The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Emphasizing running the ball in the age of unprecedented advantage handed over to the passing game. Hmm...
                  In the AFC East, the running game remains important.

The Pats* won the 2nd game last year against the Bills because they ran the ball better than the Bills did.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                    • Jul 2002

yeah it sucks. Even if we were to throw the ball , Ej dinking the ball under 5 yards won't help.
                    sacrifice1
                    https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                      I think that as the season progresses we're going to quickly learn that this "wealth of talent" on defense is paper talent only. I us being a bottom-half defense easily this season.

The offense has some talent pending several things.

First, whether a role-playing RB is capable of actually doing more this season, particularly on 3rd downs, something that hasn't happened in his four seasons in the league to date.

Second, to what extent Jackson is capable of playing as the league's oldest RB at 33, particularly on yards-per-carry.

Third, to what extent Watkins is the player that everyone is expecting. It's one thing to perform in camp against a bunch of players that are no longer on the team, or against our questionable secondary otherwise, but in preseason he struggled against starting CBs even before he got hurt and otherwise showed nothing with 3 grabs for 21 yards on 7 targets.

Fourth, to what extent will Woods develop and improve? Is he going to end up being a 700-800 yard WR, or is he capable of putting up 1,000-1,200 yards? We don't know.

Fifth, how is Williams going to play here? Again, we don't know.

Sixth, what are we going to get from our TE play which is dicey on paper.

Those are a lot of question marks for a team with such a "wealth of talent." The WRs are very young and inexperienced apart from Williams.
                      Well, I think you will be proven WRONG about the Bills defense.

I expect them to be in the top 10 against the run & in the top 15 overall.

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by Turf View Post
                        Once again, thanks Buddy. Who decided to hire this hick.
                        Once again ...

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

Why do people still insist that Nix was responsible, Whaley's on record several times directly asserting that the choice of Manuel was his.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                        ------

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• stuckincincy
                          Buffalo Bills Fan
                          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                          yeah it sucks. Even if we were to throw the ball , Ej dinking the ball under 5 yards won't help.
                          They are so handicapped by Manuel's inability to see and hit receivers stretching the field. Even with that, I had hoped in pre season that they would run 3-down series doing just that, understanding that EJ's completion rate would be poor, so that it would be on the game films. For cripes sake, just try it.

As it stands now, no opposition really need fear any long game, so they just hover around combating the incessant nickle-and-dime offense BUF presents.

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

It's going to be FUGLY on offense. I see Watkins struggling too as he didn't show much against starting DBs in the preseason except that he's not just going to blaze past them like so many seem to be expecting. Then there's the issues with his ribs. Williams and Woods cannot carry this offense.

Unfortunately I don't see the D being nearly as good as many seem to think it will be. It's going to be very weak against the pass, just like it was last season.

It cannot possibly be stated often enough that we did not beat one single team ranked in the top half of the league in passing last season, not one, despite our record sacks and high INT totals. File under it looked good on paper but the the sacks and INTs simply masked the real problems.
                            Last edited by Fletch; 09-02-2014, 10:52 AM.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Mike
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by better days View Post
                              Well, I think you will be proven WRONG about the Bills defense.

I expect them to be in the top 10 against the run & in the top 15 overall.
                              Top 15 is average
                              Average means that your not very good or bad.

If this were to happen, than he would be correct in saying the Bills defense is over rated.
                              Please Make Sense

Comment

Working...
                              X