• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • imbondz
    Democrats are people too
    • Jan 2003

Jay Cutler Was The Most Catastrophic Quarterback Of Week 1

not sure this is scientific, but kinda interesting.

Sunday's box score shows that Jay Cutler threw two interceptions and his team lost to the Bills. What it doesn't show is just how much of a nightmare Cutler inflicted on his team's chances. According to data from Brian Burke of Advanced Football Analytics, Cutler was responsible for three of the top six most detrimental plays in the NFL on Sunday.

My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

• The Jokeman
    • Dec 2003

Re: Jay Cutler Was The Most Catastrophic Quarterback Of Week 1

Originally posted by imbondz View Post

Sunday's box score shows that Jay Cutler threw two interceptions and his team lost to the Bills. What it doesn't show is just how much of a nightmare Cutler inflicted on his team's chances. According to data from Brian Burke of Advanced Football Analytics, Cutler was responsible for three of the top six most detrimental plays in the NFL on Sunday.

Cutler has always been a big arm QB but it seems when he's asked to make the play that counts he just can't get it done. Yet at least he did so some good things in his game to at least put his team in position to be in the game unlike Romo. A few other guys who had disasters were Alex Smith and former Bear Luke McCown according to ESPN's QBR formula http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

Comment

• better days
      • Jan 2010

I said before the game, Cutler throws INT's when he is pressured, and the Bills brought the pressure yesterday.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
        • Mar 2013

Cutler passed too much, and the Bears couldn't run the ball. Less than 100 yards for Forte.

How did the Seahawks dismantle the Broncos last Super Bowl?

Russell Wilson was 18 of 25 for 206 yards and 2 TD's.

The days of one man quarterback driven teams in the NFL are over.

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Originally posted by imbondz View Post

So wait a minute, this piece essentially blames Cutler for the Bears loss, it doesn't give credit to our D. Which means that Cutler won us the game, not us.

So which is it? Did we outplay the Bears, or did Cutler cost them the game due to his poor play?

Let me guess, despite the glaring lack of fundamental football stats that typically accompany a win for the winning team, like 1st-downs, 3rd conversions, TOP, etc., our team forced Cutler to play like crap.

Oddly, I didn't read anything in that piece about our swarming defense that allowed over 400 yards. Sounds to me like we won more to poor execution on the part of Cutler and the Bears' offense, who seemed to have no trouble moving the ball on a hefty 4.8 ypc rushing average and over 350 yards passing by Cutler.

Anyway, just curious which it is, that we got a little lucky or that we outplayed Chicago, which I don't see, either in game or statistically.

Open the doors and let the psychos in ...

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
          Originally Posted by pmoon6
          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• TacklingDummy
            Unreachable Douche
            • Jul 2002

Obviously Cutler was the Bills best player yesterday.

Comment

• EricStratton
              • Jul 2002

The article doesn't look like it blames the win (or the Bears loss) of Cutler mistakes, just that Cutler was involved in three of the six plays most responsible for his team not winning.

No opinion is given in the article of whether defenses were responsible for the plays or if they were mistakes.

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                Cutler passed too much, and the Bears couldn't run the ball. Less than 100 yards for Forte.

How did the Seahawks dismantle the Broncos last Super Bowl?

Russell Wilson was 18 of 25 for 206 yards and 2 TD's.

The days of one man quarterback driven teams in the NFL are over.
                What do you mean the Bears couldn't run the ball, Forte averaged 4.8 ypc. If we allow that on the season our rushing D will be worse than last season's. It's more accurate to say that they chose not to run the ball, they were doing it effectively when they did obviously.

Cutler wasn't exactly having difficulty cutting through out secondary. He threw for 350 yards.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by EricStratton View Post
                  The article doesn't look like it blames the win (or the Bears loss) of Cutler mistakes, just that Cutler was involved in three of the six plays most responsible for his team not winning.

No opinion is given in the article of whether defenses were responsible for the plays or if they were mistakes.
                  Do you think our D played well?

29 Bears 1st downs

349 passing yards for Cutler, 427 total net yards.

Post #46

------

Comment

• EricStratton
                    • Jul 2002

They held a team that averaged 28 points per game last year to 20 in 4+ quarters and yesterday and so far tonight 15 teams scored more then Chicago so if points are what matters then they played well enough.

Was it great, or course not but it was good enough.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

The only stat that matters is 23-20.

Somebody better tell Joe Flacco's Ravens and Eli Manning's Giants v.1 that they have to give their Lombardi Trophy's back, because looking at the statistics they were both outplayed by San Fran and New England, respectively.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• delectrolux
                        • May 2007

Unfortunately for statisticians, it would appear the Bills play a "bend but don't break" style of defense. It will result in big yards and stats for a good offense and QB. Fortunately though, it results in big D plays and low scores.

What remains to be seen is if we just got lucky, or if that is indeed our D strategy. They said the plan was to keep everything in front of them to eliminate the huge plays, so I'm optimistic it was the plan.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                          • Jan 2003

Bills win, I'm happy.

Bradham and Gilmore hopefully both back this week. Looking forward to Sunday.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by delectrolux View Post
                            What remains to be seen is if we just got lucky, or if that is indeed our D strategy. They said the plan was to keep everything in front of them to eliminate the huge plays, so I'm optimistic it was the plan.
                            It was. Watch BB.com. They dropped 7 most of the time after the first Bears offensive series. Making Cutler goes through long series of play to score. So the strategy can be summarized as in 1) stop the run, 2) prevent long passes. So what gives is a lof of short passes underneath and hopefully we get hands on a few ball for take away.

Bears offense as a whole is very good. Maybe Seahawks can shut them down completely, but not most teams. Accomplish what Bills strategy dictated is a win in my book.

Now the Bills offense on the other hand has a lot of work to do. I believe the O-line has a lot of improvement to be made. They executed pass block reasonably well, allowing Manuel to develop some comfort level. The run blocking had more misses than hits, which, for the makeup of this team, is unacceptable. Most of the screens, gadget plays were setup perfectly but due to come linemen not in place where they need to be, resulted nothing. Just look across the field and see how Bears did on their screens, picks, etc. There is a reason why people makes Bears offense as superbowl caliber: not only they have the talent, but also well coached and well executed in general.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                              It was. Watch BB.com. They dropped 7 most of the time after the first Bears offensive series. Making Cutler goes through long series of play to score. So the strategy can be summarized as in 1) stop the run, 2) prevent long passes. So what gives is a lof of short passes underneath and hopefully we get hands on a few ball for take away.

Bears offense as a whole is very good. Maybe Seahawks can shut them down completely, but not most teams. Accomplish what Bills strategy dictated is a win in my book.

Now the Bills offense on the other hand has a lot of work to do. I believe the O-line has a lot of improvement to be made. They executed pass block reasonably well, allowing Manuel to develop some comfort level. The run blocking had more misses than hits, which, for the makeup of this team, is unacceptable. Most of the screens, gadget plays were setup perfectly but due to come linemen not in place where they need to be, resulted nothing. Just look across the field and see how Bears did on their screens, picks, etc. There is a reason why people makes Bears offense as superbowl caliber: not only they have the talent, but also well coached and well executed in general.
                              If the Bears were faced with the Bills dropping back 7 most of the time, then they were idiots not to run Forte much more than they did.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X