• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Woodman
    Legendary Zoner
    • Apr 2014

Manuel Gaining Ground as Bills Leader

Teammates said Manuel's pre-game speech in the locker room before Sunday's NFL season opener against the Chicago Bears helped provide inspiration as the team took the field.
    "I think a lot of guys kind of weren't expecting it," Manuel said Wednesday. "They were kind of almost shocked."
    So what was the impetus for taking charge?
    "It was just a matter of realizing, 'Hey, I'm the quarterback; maybe it is my job to get these guys ready to go,' " said Manuel, who helped the Bills to a 23-20 overtime victory. "Whether that's being up and yelling and screaming and all that kind of stuff, if that's what they need, that's what I'll give them."

A good start now let's build on it.

“It breaks your heart when someone leaves and you don’t know why.”

"It may be raining but there's a rainbow above you"

Former President Donald Trump early Thursday touted the results of a new NPR/PBSNewsHour/Marist poll showing him ahead of President Joe Biden by 8 percentage points among independents.
  • ServoBillieves
    The Voice of Reason
    • Jul 2007

Re: Manuel Gaining Ground as Bills Leader

Good for him to take charge. It's necessary with his position and to have vocal leaders on this team.

Someone will derail the positive in 3...2...1...
    Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
      • Nov 2007

'EJ is the worst person ever. i don't cares what he does. i'll always hate him. i don't care if he throws for 400 yards, 5 touchdowns, 0 int and has a 90% completion percentage.'

~various members of this board
      I came.
      I saw.
      I conquered.

Comment

• coastal
        Legendary Zoner
        • Mar 2005

That's a really good sign!

Comment

• WagonCircler
          Escaped Convict
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
          Good for him to take charge. It's necessary with his position and to have vocal leaders on this team.

Someone will derail the positive in 3...2...1...
          Horsehockey.

I don't think I've ever seen one person here criticize EJ personally. There's nothing to dislike.

It's his game. It sucks Trent Edwards' balls.

Comment

• The King
            Without me it's just Awe so
            • Jun 2004

It's obvious he took not being voted Captain to heart. Although I don't think he should of.

This team is on a massive playoff drought. It's going to take veteran leadership to get to the promised land, and the team voted that way. EJ missed half of a season and is only in his second season. He needs to get behind guys like Freddy and Kyle and continue to learn. If he does he will be a captain.

EJ divides the fan base, but one thing he doesn't lack is effort and heart. Just keep growing and let the chips fall where they may.
            I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
            "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
            You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
            It was all
            true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
            He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
            mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• RedEyE
              • Jul 2002

Seems like he is progressing well. Most of us understood that he was rough around the edges and would require time and patience in is his development - still does. With that being said, there is a long way to go and the mistakes are going to come that will have the haters coming out in droves.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

ej is a guy on his 11th guy. and he's climbing to a.500 record.

nothing to hate on the guy. he may not be the next jim kelly. he may. we just have to see the games. if these little things helps the team win, good for us.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
                  Skoobasaurus-Rex
                  • Oct 2011

If I hadn't read this a few times on here, I'd thank you.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                    Unreachable Douche
                    • Jul 2002

Like I tell my son, actions not words.

Didn't look any different than last year.

Comment

• sudzy
                      • Apr 2013

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                      i don't care if he throws for 400 yards, 5 touchdowns, 0 int and has a 90% completion percentage.'

Let me know when he does that.

Comment

• Novacane
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                        'EJ is the worst person ever. i don't cares what he does. i'll always hate him. i don't care if he throws for 400 yards, 5 touchdowns, 0 int and has a 90% completion percentage.'

They'd focus on the 10% incomplete

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

He has to back up his words on the field. Walk the talk . So far so good. Nice job last Sunday. Now he has to squish the fish since Thads the only one who has.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

I'm not sure that anyone has ever questioned his leadership skills, I know that as one of his harshest critics I sure haven't.

But verbal leadership is a lot different than performance leadership.

This is going to be another short-lived QB. I'll give it until the end of October at the outside before 90% of this very forum throws in the towel.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                            (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                            Originally Posted by pmoon6
                            The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                              I'm not sure that anyone has ever questioned his leadership skills, I know that as one of his harshest critics I sure haven't.

But verbal leadership is a lot different than performance leadership.

This is going to be another short-lived QB. I'll give it until the end of October at the outside before 90% of this very forum throws in the towel.

and what happens if at the end of the October we're in position to make the playoffs and EJ is a top 15 NFL QB, would you say he's proven to be good enough or will you cry because he's not in the top 5? Granted if he falls off the wagon for the rest of the season I won't accept it but just asking since the end of October was the deadline you imposed.
                              Last edited by The Jokeman; 09-12-2014, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X