• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

why we watch the games- QB stats

In first full season (16 game season) for 1. Drew Brees, 2. Peyton Manning, 3. Ben Roethlisberger, 4. JP Losman and 5. EJ manuel (thus far at 13).

My point from stats below isn't that he'll be great or terrible. he could be kyle orton and just stay at this level. but most QBs, it seems, have very similar paths when starting. EJ is still 3 games shy of a full 16. i can't think of who a worse qb was than losman, but i would suspect his first 16 games would be in this general company.

I think once we hit 20-25 games, we start to see who plans to develop and who is going to fade away. the 3 guys who got it, got better the following year. Only Brees struggled for another year before he took off. Losman steadily got worse.

So really the only point of this is to say, I don't really know where EJ is going. I have a lot of concerns on the accuracy in terms of all the throws on the passing tree (clearly not a stat) and how that plays out long term. i think we need to see 20-25 games before we have a good feel for him. and i would be willing to go a full season with him to conclusively prove he isn't the answer than to prolong that period of figuring out who he will be by benching him this season. My expectations for this season were pretty low and i really just want to know if we need to look again for a QB next year or not. I would hate to have this situation where we all know the guy has failed but we stick with him through another 1-2 seasons like we have the last 4-5 qb's we've had.

1. Completion percentage - 60.8%,
    3,284 yards,
    YPA - 6.24,
    TD/Turnovers - 0.94x
    QBR - 76.9

2. Completion percentage - 56.7%,
    3,739 yards,
    YPA - 6.5,
    TD/Turnovers - 0.87x
    QBR - 71.2

3. Completion percentage - 66.4%,
    2,621 yards,
    YPA - 8.89,
    TD/Turnovers - 1.42x
    QBR - 98.1

4. Completion percentage - 62.5%,
    3,051 yards,
    YPA - 7.11,
    TD/Turnovers - 0.90x
    QBR - 84.6

5 Completion percentage - 59.8%,
    2,585 yards,
    YPA - 6.58,
    TD/Turnovers - 0.82x
    QBR - 80.6
  • stuckincincy
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Sep 2003

Re: why we watch the games- QB stats

How do you figure in recent successes, like youngsters such as Luck, Dalton, Wilson, and Kapernick getting their clubs into playoffs?
    Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• RedEyE
      • Jul 2002

Great question Cincy and excellent thread.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
        • Aug 2013

My question is more intangible and ultimately unanswerable.

What kind of reads were those young QBs making you are comparing him to? Were they taking the short dump-off like Trent and EJ do and missing the open reads down field? Did they play afraid? I remember Brady used to do that stuff all the time, but I don't think he was missing reads I think the offense was intentionally designed that way. This is a much more talented offense than Brady had in his early years. Other than him, I don't remember any elite QB in the league right now who played so scared early.

That is my issue. My problem is not accuracy or stats or anything like that. It's just that he plays afraid. He doesn't have a killer instinct when he runs with the ball and runs out of bounds 2 yards before a first down to avoid contact.

Great QBs are fearless. EJ plays comfortable. QBs need to be tenacious and compete hard. I just don't see it in EJ, who just does not play with an edge at all.

You can coach and teach a lot of things, but I'm not so sure you can teach that ferocious edge that separates Russel Wilson (who is otherwise a nice calm religious guy) and EJ. That doesn't mean being fearless is everything, as evidenced by JP Losman and Geno Smith. They play fearless but do not have the smarts.

I'm hesitant to say a professional NFL player is playing scared because it's a tough and physical job, but they are compensated very well to do that job. Playing scared is inexcusable and results in they types of games we saw Sunday.

Comment

• BOBM253
          elite QB
          • Aug 2010

EJ doesn't pass the eye test. Stats aside, just look at his play, passing ability, accuracy, composure, football smarts and temperment. Most future stars look the part even when struggling. I haven't seen that yet in EJ. Hope he eventually gets it.

Comment

• trapezeus
            Legendary Zoner
            • Oct 2004

Originally posted by BOBM253 View Post
            EJ doesn't pass the eye test. Stats aside, just look at his play, passing ability, accuracy, composure, football smarts and temperment. Most future stars look the part even when struggling. I haven't seen that yet in EJ. Hope he eventually gets it.
            you felt that with brees in his first few years? he seemed smallish, struggled to make an impact and was on a mid-level team. and he struggled with a great running back and TE.

Roesthlisberger got a lot of game manager accolades. but you can see in his stats, when he threw, he connected for bigger plays and avoided turnovers. Peyton is peyton. i think we all felt like he was going to come along and was just on a truly bad team when he took over.

there definitely is a non quant piece to this. and as i said, to me that is accuracy. i don't know how you show it other than, as you say, it doesn't pass the eye test.

but to me, if you bail on him now, there are a few things that makes this very buffalo:

1. we are paying him for the season - it is another 2-3 years with him on contract. why go to term, if we can find out now that we don't want him? why make those payments? why carry that cost? this is just a business decision.
            2. we need to know while the team's assets are still fresh- the team is still fairly young across the board. the WRs, the line, many parts of the d. why waste a couple years wasting everyone's time when you can just spend one year and see how it goes.

personally, i think the stats for manuel will comes out flat. he'll remain fairly average and it will be a hard call stat wise on whether he should be given more time. the con is that his accuracy is very questionable, the pro is that he never lets it get to him. losman, edwards, fitz, when teams got to them, they just carried it on their shoulders and you knew they couldn't come back. Manuel shrugs a lot of the negative off and comes right back looking ot make a play. that is a good characteristic to have if he can be coached to perform better.

Comment

• sudzy
              • Apr 2013

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
              How do you figure in recent successes, like youngsters such as Luck, Dalton, Wilson, and Kapernick getting their clubs into playoffs?
              We'll just ignore that, because it doesn't serve their point.

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by trapezeus View Post
                personally, i think the stats for manuel will comes out flat. he'll remain fairly average and it will be a hard call stat wise on whether he should be given more time. the con is that his accuracy is very questionable, the pro is that he never lets it get to him. losman, edwards, fitz, when teams got to them, they just carried it on their shoulders and you knew they couldn't come back. Manuel shrugs a lot of the negative off and comes right back looking ot make a play. that is a good characteristic to have if he can be coached to perform better.
                Thank you Mr. Astute. Looking to make plays and actually making them are two different things that you've obviously failed to pick up on.

Here's something to chew on, Manuel never let things get to him at FSU. The coaching there was superior to what ours is here.

I realize that you don't think that it's relevant, but it is. Have you ever bothered to look at what Brees and Roethlisburger did in college, probably with less talent? There isn't a big comparison. They didn't show the same issues through three or four years of college ball that EJ has.

I'm holding out hope that this will sink in for you at some point prior to when EJ permanently becomes a backup somewhere else.
                http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                Originally Posted by pmoon6
                The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Meathead
                  Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
                  • Jul 2002

im not buying this 'ej is still a rookie' angle

game experience obviously is best but theres real science behind the idea of mental reps. research shows that shooting foul shots either in your mind via visualization or in real life is close to equivalent (literally 90+%) regarding your level of improvement over time

a responsible player uses that time to intensely visualize everything they are learning, all opponent breakdowns, all game plan preparation, every adjustment they are trying to change in their own game, everything. a young qb can get great value just miming footwork even if they care barely walk, effectively programming it into memory for when they hit the field

so i would honestly say mental reps count for at least half of game experience and probably more likely three-quarters. whatever pcent you choose, for a qb it really is a mental game, either by experience and/or natural ability. you need the physical play to keep everything at game speed and variability, but most of what youre doing happens between the earholes, and that can be exercised via responsible visualization

one thing we can confidently say about ej is that he is a responsible player. so his missed starts really do still count to a very significant degree in his mental development. he needs to show he can use all that information now, all the same expectations as if he had started every game still apply

hes a second year qb

case cloosed

One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                    We'll just ignore that, because it doesn't serve their point.
                    free to look those guys up. again, you'll see their stats in the same area over 16 games.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by stuckincincy View Post
                      They were added to teams that had better surrounding casts. Luck was a 1st overall pick to yet three years prior to his arrival were a Super Bowl team. Dalton, Wilson and Kaepernick were all drafted outside Round 1. Look at some of the players drafted before them that there team acquired: AJ Green, Bruce Irvin and Bobby Wagner and Aldon Smith to name a few. Sure the Bills landed Kiko after EJ so that might be debatable but I'd contend the talent level we har surrounding EJ last year was a lot worse than the Colts, Bengals and Seahawks had early in their QBs careers. I think this year the Bills may have gotten the talent level that we're no longer a bottom 10 team.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Meathead View Post
                        im not buying this 'ej is still a rookie' angle

game experience obviously is best but theres real science behind the idea of mental reps. research shows that shooting foul shots either in your mind via visualization or in real life is close to equivalent (literally 90+%) regarding your level of improvement over time

a responsible player uses that time to intensely visualize everything they are learning, all opponent breakdowns, all game plan preparation, every adjustment they are trying to change in their own game, everything. a young qb can get great value just miming footwork even if they care barely walk, effectively programming it into memory for when they hit the field

so i would honestly say mental reps count for at least half of game experience and probably more likely three-quarters. whatever pcent you choose, for a qb it really is a mental game, either by experience and/or natural ability. you need the physical play to keep everything at game speed and variability, but most of what youre doing happens between the earholes, and that can be exercised via responsible visualization

one thing we can confidently say about ej is that he is a responsible player. so his missed starts really do still count to a very significant degree in his mental development. he needs to show he can use all that information now, all the same expectations as if he had started every game still apply

hes a second year qb

case cloosed

and look at what some other 2nd year QBs have done this year. Would you say EJ has played worse than Geno Smith and Mike Glennon? I wouldn't. As to me he's been better. As "bad" as EJ has looked he's still 6-7 thirteen into his NFL career. Let's not forget Jim Kelly went 4-12 despite having two years experience with the USFL before arriving in the NFL.

Comment

• sudzy
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                          and look at what some other 2nd year QBs have done this year. Would you say EJ has played worse than Geno Smith and Mike Glennon? I wouldn't. As to me he's been better. As "bad" as EJ has looked he's still 6-7 thirteen into his NFL career. Let's not forget Jim Kelly went 4-12 despite having two years experience with the USFL before arriving in the NFL.
                          I love when people compare Kelly's 1986 record to EJ. Kelly took over a team that was coming off two consecutive 2-14 seasons, with a bottom 5 defense and Rob Riddick as it's leading rusher. EJ has a top ten defense and CJ and Freddy. Apples and oranges.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                            • Dec 2003

I love when people compare Kelly's 1986 record to EJ. Kelly took over a team that was coming off two consecutive 2-14 seasons, with a bottom 5 defense and Rob Riddick as it's leading rusher. EJ has a top ten defense and CJ and Freddy. Apples and oranges.
                            Where do you rank the Bills D from last year? Sure we got sacks and INTs but we weren't ranked all that high as we were like butter against the run easily bottom 5 in that category and sure we were strong against the pass but think it more a reflection on how bad a run D we had. Also back to Jim and the O wasn't great until we got Thurman Thomas, hate to tell you but Freddie is no Thurman Thomas. He might have been close in 2011 but how many Pro Bowls has he been to? Oh yeah none. Freddie is a great locker room guy and guy that fans can appreciate but he's not a great NFL RB just average in my book. AM I saying EJ has looked great? No but I don't think he's played as bad as some make him out to be either. To me EJ's ceiling is that of a Rich Gannon/Steve McNair type which to me is above average.
                            Last edited by The Jokeman; 09-23-2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

• OpIv37
                              Acid Douching Asswipe
                              • Sep 2002

I agree with your general sentiment that it's not a good comparison but disagree on the top 10 D thing. With Kiko this D would have had an outside shot but without him they'll be middle of the pack.
                              MiKiDo Facebook
                              MiKiDo Website

Comment

Working...
                              X