X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • more cowbell
    • Apr 2006

Stephon Gilmore

Without question the Bills player I've hated most since Donte Whitner.

Should be a funny matchup this week with him "covering" Andre Johnson...Fitz will rack it up because Gilmore plays 10 yards off the wr every play...hello dink and dunk.

He should also be good for a couple holding and/or illegal contact penalties, and DEFINITELY a few missed tackles on the back coming out of the backfield on a 2 yard pass.

Dude is an absolute bust and one of the worst players on the defense...I'm sure I'll get ripped on here and be accused of "not understanding football" but I call it like I see it...and the guy has done nothing but look lost his first 3 years in the league.
    The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: Stephon Gilmore

Wasted first round pick.

(along with about 45 others)

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
      • Aug 2013

I'm re-watching the game right now and he played fine. Not to make an excuse for the overall team loss, but the Chargers were setting a lot of picks that should have been called. He didn't play great by any means and I don't think he was worth where we picked him, but he's not a total loss. I can't find any stats on targets, but teams seem to rarely throw at him. He's not a shut down CB, but he's fine and by no means close to the main problem on this team.

Comment

• BOBM253
        elite QB
        • Aug 2010

I think he's a good player. Maybe some nagging injuries still affecting his play but I think he'll be fine.

Comment

• Fletch
          • May 2007

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
          I'm re-watching the game right now and he played fine. Not to make an excuse for the overall team loss, but the Chargers were setting a lot of picks that should have been called. He didn't play great by any means and I don't think he was worth where we picked him, but he's not a total loss. I can't find any stats on targets, but teams seem to rarely throw at him. He's not a shut down CB, but he's fine and by no means close to the main problem on this team.
          That's how I see it too. Another not so great draft pick but definitely not among the primary reasons why we suck.
          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
          Originally Posted by pmoon6
          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Here's the real issue: wasted first round picks are a HUGE reason why this team has sucked for so long. We've been bad so we've had a lot of high picks. Those are the best chance we have at getting better. But so many high draft picks were complete busts, never lived up to their draft status or just aren't here anymore.

If our high draft picks aren't on the field for us playing like superstars, we will always be behind the teams getting production out of their picks that is equal to or better than their draft status.

EJ, Gilmore and McKelvin need to step it up if this team is going to win.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Fletch
              • May 2007

EJ's doing nothing of the sort. We could live with Gilmore and even Spiller and Watkins, but the real damage has been done with Whaley having no checks on him. Since 2010 he was just the main personnel guy. Last year and this he was the GM or in the case of last year playing the role if not officially having been handed the part.

He reached for Manuel which then caused him to have to give away the farm to get Watkins. Those two moves will have set this team back at least a couple of years.

The other thing that sets this team back is Mario. I can put it in print 20 times in a row but a bunch of posters here still won't get it. It's not that Mario isn't good, it's that he's just not worth almost a 100M. The team could have done so much more with that kind of money.

Getting back to your point, if you get a Gilmore or Spiller, fine, you can work them in despite their not having been worth the picks that were used to get them, but when you reach for a Manuel and then expend two 1st-rounders and a 4th to try to do something to cover up that stupid and idiotic decision, then you create a hole that's much more difficult to climb out of.

Not only was Manuel a waste of that pick, but we have no QB and no 1st-rounder to get one next season. We're completely reliant upon 2nd round leftovers or free agency where few great QBs ever end up unless they're washed up. I guess we could trade but we may want to get rid of Whaley before that or who knows how far we'll have to drop our pants with him doing our negotiating.
              http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
              (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
              Originally Posted by pmoon6
              The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
              ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                • Sep 2009

Gilmore was great down the stretch last year, he shut down Vincent Jackson and we still got rolled. He hasn't been good this year, but outside of Williams and Graham no one in the secondary looks good. I like Gilmore, still have hope for him. Too many injuries early in his career too, played most of the season with a cast, how the hell can we judge him off of that?

Bottom line, the Defensive gameplan was ****, we're predictable, and were completely unprepared. It's simple, go back and watch all the communication issues in the secondary any time they motioned a WR. Chargers knew exactly how to attack us because we do the same **** all game long.

Comment

• Mace
                  Haha...yeah you think so ?
                  • Mar 2013

I have more patience with Gilmore in his 3rd year than I do with McKelvin in his 6th even if it worries me he always seems to be injured one place or another.

They need to get Graham in there more if McKelvin is reverting to pre-Pettine defense form.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

Come next home game against the Pats, if Corey Graham isn't on the field to start on defense I hope every Bills fans at RWS boos and throws tomatoes at the coaching staff.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                      Here's the real issue: wasted first round picks are a HUGE reason why this team has sucked for so long. We've been bad so we've had a lot of high picks. Those are the best chance we have at getting better. But so many high draft picks were complete busts, never lived up to their draft status or just aren't here anymore.

If our high draft picks aren't on the field for us playing like superstars, we will always be behind the teams getting production out of their picks that is equal to or better than their draft status.

EJ, Gilmore and McKelvin need to step it up if this team is going to win.
                      DING DING DING. Thank you but it's not just that it's also getting very little contribution to later round picks too. I mean outside of SJ13 and Kyle Williams can anyone without looking name a guy we drafted after Round 5 that made a major contribution as a starter? Henderson this yar the first one I can think of. This team has been a horrible drafting team since Butler left if you really study things. As a result we have had then bring in UFAs to mask those errors but sadly we've made mistakes there too. At least it seems Whaley's been able to get contributions from some of the UFAs like Graham and seems to get something from Hughes and he's and/or build depth in guys like Wynn, Lawson and Charles which we rarely saw in the past.
                      Last edited by The Jokeman; 09-23-2014, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• bf1
                        • Oct 2010

Buddy Nix's insistence to "build through the draft" continues to haunt us.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by bf1 View Post
                          Buddy Nix's insistence to "build through the draft" continues to haunt us.
                          Nix was a bad GM but Marvy Levy was worse with his UFA signings like Dockery, Walker and lest we forget Matt Bowen, Larry Triplett, Brian Brohm.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                            The Voice of Reason
                            • Jul 2007

I'm baffled by the fact he can hold on to receivers but he can't hold on to make a tackle.

That being said, I'm with Mace; I have more issues with McKelvin being awful this year than I do with Gilmore in his 3rd year. McKelvin showed up last year, but as a first rounder (I even forgot for a stretch he was the #11 pick) you need to be shut down. He isn't.
                            Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• The Jokeman
                              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by ServoBillieves View Post
                              I'm baffled by the fact he can hold on to receivers but he can't hold on to make a tackle.

That being said, I'm with Mace; I have more issues with McKelvin being awful this year than I do with Gilmore in his 3rd year. McKelvin showed up last year, but as a first rounder (I even forgot for a stretch he was the #11 pick) you need to be shut down. He isn't.
                              I think McKelvin isn't 100% healthy but hard to say as in years past he's always been great at keeping up with his man but then had no ball skills and as a result got teams were able to throw over his head. This year he's still keeping with his man but with the new rules he's playing it too close and getting flagged. Of the two McKelvin makes you angrier because we re-signed him where Gilmore's working off his rookie contract.
                              Last edited by The Jokeman; 09-23-2014, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X