X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloRedleg
    • Aug 2013

Jeremy White All-22 EJ Analysis

If you are trying to talk smart about EJ and you aren't reading Jeremy White's All-22 analysis weekly it is hard to take you seriously. Once again this is phenomenal work. He got a shout-out from Colin Cowherd this week which must be pretty cool for him.

Western New York’s number one source for daily sports talk and play-by-play as the flagship station of the Bills and Sabres. Stream, read and download WGR 550 AM from any device on Audacy

After two solid games under center, EJ Manuel's third game is one that many Bills fans would like to forget. In his first two appearances this season Manuel was sacked only one time. He's had time to throw the ball for a number of reasons. The Bills hadn't trailed more than a few minutes in Chicago. They've been playing with the lead, and with a run game that's doing just enough to be a threat.

The defense in the first two weeks played two solid games, each a different style. In the Bears win, the Bills capitalized on Chicago mistakes and picked up four turnovers. The Dolphins...couldn't protect their QB and they were shut down.

Sunday the Chargers rolled in with an offense that put up points, and set up the San Diego defense with just what it needed. The Chargers went to work rushing the passer, and attacking over and over again in the same spot.
  • BuffaloRedleg
    • Aug 2013

Re: Jeremy White All-22 EJ Analysis

This validates exactly what I was thinking. It's not that he doesn't have the "tools" it is that he plays timid. I don't know how this gets fixed but it seems like the central issue to most of his poor plays.

Comment

• Novacane
      • Jul 2002

They were confusing the hell out of our O-line with those stunts. This went on all game long and we couldn't adjust?

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
        This validates exactly what I was thinking. It's not that he doesn't have the "tools" it is that he plays timid. I don't know how this gets fixed but it seems like the central issue to most of his poor plays.
        It also validates exactly what I've been thinking about this season, that we beat the Bears by capitalizing on their mistakes and Miami because their offensive line sucks and they couldn't protect Tannehill despite the fact that they put up over 200 yards in the second half.

In comes San Diego and plays pretty average football, nothing complex or off the charts, and they beat us. They were without their top players on offense too. Matthews was out and Gates and Allen were hobbled.

If you're asking me, the book on EJ Manuel is short and sweet. You'll hear a lot of things if you listen to the radio.

- He doesn't go through his progressions
        - He checks down too much
        - He needs to trust his receivers more
        - He can't hit on the long ball.

While all of these might have some truth in them, there's one statement that I come away with about Manuel after watching this All-22 of the Bills-Chargers game.

He is almost entirely ineffective on the move. The Chargers were able to pressure Manuel up the middle, through the interior of the line in hopes of either sacking him, pressuring him, or getting him to move.
        He's almost entirely ineffective when his initial options aren't there too. He was like this at FSU too, something that Whaley should have picked up on prior to drafting him. He wasn't good against ranked opponents despite FSU usually having had better overall teams and a talent advantage than them.
        Last edited by Fletch; 09-24-2014, 08:05 AM.
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• don137
          • Jul 2002

I think a big reason the Bills lost was penalties (over 100 yards). Not only did it kill some long gains it also put the Bills in bad situations and forced EJ to do what he is not good at which is medium to long throws. I think if the Bills committed half those penalties the game would of been a lot closer. Less would of been asked of EJ and instead of 2nd or 3rd and long the Bills would have first down or short yard to go for first down.
          No I am not blaming the refs. I am blaming the Bills for their mistakes.

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
            It also validates exactly what I've been thinking about this season, that we beat the Bears by capitalizing on their mistakes and Miami because their offensive line sucks and they couldn't protect Tannehill despite the fact that they put up over 200 yards in the second half.

In comes San Diego and plays pretty average football, nothing complex or off the charts, and they beat us. They were without their top players on offense too. Matthews was out and Gates and Allen were hobbled.

He's almost entirely ineffective when his initial options aren't there too. He was like this at FSU too, something that Whaley should have picked up on prior to drafting him. He wasn't good against ranked opponents despite FSU usually having had better overall teams and a talent advantage than them.
            Well I'm not willing to go that far about the team as a whole. I think this is a good football team lacking a strong QB. The jury is still out on coaching as well as I think they were thoroughly out-coached by San Diego. I have the Pats game circled and I'll make my decision after that one.

Comment

• bf1
              • Oct 2010

EJ did play poorly. But so did the rest of the team.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

So, you are using Jeremy White & Colin Cowheard as your "EXPERTS" to validate your thoughts?

I think most of us have thought the same as Jeremy said, but come on, he is NO expert & neither is Colin Cowheard.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

there were a number of open players on those plays he highlighted as well... for example on the first play i think it's Goodwin (slot receiver on the bottom of the screen) who was open the whole play. That pass was there any time EJ wanted to take it. I'm sure it was the 3rd or 4th option on the play, but i guarantee it was in the progression. He never looked when even a badly thrown ball would have been completed. That's gotta be frustrating to a WR to basically be uncovered, and not have the QB look your way.
                  My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by better days View Post
                    So, you are using Jeremy White & Colin Cowheard as your "EXPERTS" to validate your thoughts?

I think most of us have thought the same as Jeremy said, but come on, he is NO expert & neither is Colin Cowheard.
                    did you click the link? it was pretty thorough at just saying EJ on the move is rattled and inaccurate. if he can fix that, good for the bills; if he can't, we are going to see a lot of that game in repeat. teams will force him to move. it seemed fairly unbiased and factual. EJ needs to get that Big BEn move in the pocket and find a play instead of bailing and kind of fluttering around.

Comment

• Bunion
                      • Sep 2008

Dante Scarnecchia only just retired. Terry Pegula's a billionaire. Just saying.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

If Ej plays like crap again this Sunday, I want Orton to start.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BuffaloRedleg
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by better days View Post

Don't be silly dude read the article. It is all there in black and white. He didn't say that EJ was playing scared, that is just the conclusion I came to based on the evidence he provided. He does a fantastic job with these articles, whether you like it or not.

And I wasn't saying Cowherd was an expert, I was saying it must be neat to get nationally recognized for a local guy. Calm down.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                            • Aug 2004

I saw the break down on All-22. I'm going to agree with Redleg: the entire coaching staff got out coached badly. I think Marrone knew that - his demeanor after the game was not much of anger like he showed in the past where he knew someone missed assignment, not playing hard etc. On both offense and defense, the Chargers were able to get their players in position to excel while the Bills appeared confused, unorganized from start to finish. I think the first two wins against pretty good teams porbably got into the heads of the Bills coaching staff (and inevitably passed into players' heads as well) that we should win this game by just doing what we have done. If you stand still, someone is going to pass you, easily.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Originally posted by BuffaloRedleg View Post
                              Nice link. It lends credence to to the trend of interior DL pressure ramping up to get the qb quickly to combat all the rule changes favoring the pass game. Which is not good for BUF - folks here rail about their guard situation weekly. I've recommended keeping a FB on the field for several snaps throughout a game, but on second thought, I don't think the extra protection would help Manual. He's just not processing the game, seeing the field - situation awaerness is what fighter pilots call it.
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X