X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsFanCupp38
    • Mar 2004

Did we get the best WR in the draft?

Believe me, I know EJ being terrible has something to do with it but I've been more impressed with Mike Evans, kelvin Benjamin, deandre Hopkins and Brandon cooks. Did we get the best receiver in the draft? Serious question...
    Jeremy Cupp
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

Re: Did we get the best WR in the draft?

Originally posted by BillsFanCupp38 View Post
    Believe me, I know EJ being terrible has something to do with it but I've been more impressed with Mike Evans, kelvin Benjamin, deandre Hopkins and Brandon cooks. Did we get the best receiver in the draft? Serious question...
    the fact you're even asking the question validates my degree of displeasure in the trade up for watkins. because they traded up for watkins the question with him will never be "is he worth a high first round draft pick?" (he is by the way), but will be "is he worth TWO high first round draft picks?" (it's probably too soon to say, but with this level of QB play i'd say even if he was that good, we'll never know)
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• jamze132
      • Jun 2003

Watkins will NEVER live up to that trade as long as the QB carousel continues. It having a 1st rounder next year for the new regime to get their guy only stings more.

Comment

• Jaybird
        • Dec 2005

i understand why you would ask the question... but it can not be validated at this time. We have a QB that can't get the WR the ball. Even when he does get a chance the ball is beyond inaccurate. I am starting to see the WR frustration with EJ. He doesn't deserve more time... give the job to KO

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

If we drafted Evans instead or of Aj Green were on the team you'd be asking the same question
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• WagonCircler
            Escaped Convict
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
            If we drafted Evans instead or of Aj Green were on the team you'd be asking the same question
            See, that's part of the point.

No WR can impact games enough to warrant two first round picks. When you factor in a horrendous QB, this deal becomes an unmitigated disaster.

Comment

• YardRat
              Well, lookie here...
              • Dec 2004

We'll know in 3 to 5 seasons.
              YardRat Wall of Fame
              #56 DARRYL TALLEY
              #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• imbondz
                Democrats are people too
                • Jan 2003

yes we did, but we'll never see his full potential until we have a good QB
                My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by WagonCircler View Post
                  See, that's part of the point.

No WR can impact games enough to warrant two first round picks. When you factor in a horrendous QB, this deal becomes an unmitigated disaster.
                  No argument here.

Thing is the bills hoped that Watkins could turn dinks into large gains for Ej. Thats what Watkins did in college. Problem is, Ej took dinking and dunking to a new crappy level. He's a horrible version of Trentative
                  Last edited by justasportsfan; 09-28-2014, 08:39 PM.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                    No argument here.

Thing is the bills hoped that Watkins could turn dinks into large gains for Ej. Thats what Watkins did in college. Problem is, Ej took dinking and dunking to a new crappy level. He's a horrible version of Trentative
                    If you know football then you know that dinking and dunking for big gains works in college, especially on teams that have superior talent than their opponents, but it doesn't work in the NFL.

Watkins has an element of gimmicky-ness to his game which doesn't translate well to the NFL. He was far from a pro-style WR coming in.
                    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                    Originally Posted by pmoon6
                    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by BillsFanCupp38 View Post
                      I've been told repeatedly that we got the best WR in the draft. Gotta be true or a whole bunch of people that told me that are wrong and we know that can't possibly be the case.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Buffalogic
                        Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                        • Feb 2006

There's a good chance we would be asking this question of any receiver in this league with Manuel throwing it to him.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                          Peterman Sucks!
                          • Mar 2006

Ugh. Great WRs shine regardless of who throws them the ball. Look at what Calvin Johnson put up with a QB carousel in Detroit before Matthew Stafford showed up. If Watkins is that good, he'll be able to put up similar numbers over the course of a season.

Calvin's second year he put up 78 for 1331 and 12 TDs. Did that help the 08 Lions win games? No. They went 0-16 that year. Does it help them win games now that there's a capable QB throwing the ball? Yes. That team still has problems but not 2008 glaring problems.

The hope has to be that Watkins is kept around and the next time the franchise re-rolls on a QB they get it right.

Roddy White is another good example of this. Did he help the 2007 Falcons win games with 83 1200 6? No. They went 4-12. Then they got Matt Ryan and went 11-5.

Right now Sammy's 17 197 2 which over the course of the season looks like 68 800 8.

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                            Right now Sammy's 17 197 2 which over the course of the season looks like 68 800 8.
                            Sounds about right for a 1st round prospect but one that doesn't have the skillset that everyone said that Watkins had.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                              • May 2007

Originally posted by Buffalogic View Post
                              There's a good chance we would be asking this question of any receiver in this league with Manuel throwing it to him.
                              Right, and Hurns and Evans are having better seasons because of the great QBs they have.

Besides, I thought that Watkins just needed to get the ball and we could all sit back and watch him takeover from there? I don't recall the ridiculously positive things being said about Watkins involving a whole lot of deep throws.

Post #46

------

Comment

Working...
                              X