How many games would you give EJ to prove himself? Realistically it's 1 game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blackonyx89
    HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
    • Mar 2005

How many games would you give EJ to prove himself? Realistically it's 1 game.

If I'm correct the next two games will officially give him a year's experience and by the looks of his performances, he has not played or stepped up his game to be a competent starter. Doug would be very foolish if he continues to struggle next week against Detroit and loses and it'd be madness if they go into the New England game and Orton isn't the starter. To "save" the season and at least go to 8-8 or a wild card it's time to pull the plug on EJ, the sooner the better. I'm so tired of draft picks and projects!
    Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: How many games would you give EJ to prove himself? Realistically it's 1 game.

I figured they might go to the bullpen after the 7th week.

NE may just knock him out of contention.

Comment

• Discotrish
      Raging hypocrite and resident troll
      • Nov 2003

Re: How many games would you give EJ to prove himself? Realistically it's 1 game.

Jason Street could complete more from his chair.

Patti
      Note: Discotrish information is Conspiralicious and has NO BASIS IN FACT. Considering her opinions may be HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH. Please do not get your medical advice from a subforum of a subforum of a sports message board.

Comment

• Fletch
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        I figured they might go to the bullpen after the 7th week.

NE may just knock him out of contention.
        When do you think we go to the bullpen for a GM that knows what he's doing?

What's going to knock Whaley out of contention?
        http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
        (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
        Originally Posted by pmoon6
        The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• justasportsfan
          • Jul 2002

after 14 games, EJ should at LEAST be decent. That isn't the case. After 14 games he looks like he just played his first preseason game.
          sacrifice1
          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• djjimkelly
            • Apr 2003

give him the whole year for evaluation we cant have any question of what ej is after the next 14 games

Comment

• TheBrownBear
              • Dec 2004

EJ sucks right now and I don't consider myself a fan, but I think the Bills would be wise to give him this entire season to see if he shows any progression. Given all his injuries last season, I've sort of written it off and don't hold it against EJ. I view him as a rookie this year. So far he's played two ok games and two terrible ones. We have a lot invested in seeing him succeed. Not sure what is gained at this point by putting in a game manager (Orton) with zero upside. With our luck, Orton would play just well enough to get us to 8-8 and then we'd extend his contract and we'd be looking at three more years in Fitz-like purgatory. If EJ crashes and burns this year, at least we know we need to move on and find our next QB project.

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Marrone isn't going to hitch his wagon to Manuel like Gailey did to Fitz.

I still believe Manuel is more Nix/Whaley and that camp blowup was about Marrone wanting Orton immediately, since he doubted he had any good QB on his roster but knew Manuel would start the year.

I could see the Chargers game outcome, since they are a legit good team.

Yesterday, you could see the heart of this team just quit, once Watt ran back that TD. Gameplan was brutal and they deserve the questions about not running the ball more. So if the Texans did adjust for the run, Manuel obviously wasn't ready to adjust his game to exploit the D in front of him...and may NEVER be ready.

If Marrone has any real pulse of this team, he should be thinking TODAY about giving Orton reps with the first team in practice. He's making around 11 Mil for 2 years.

New owner should take over soon and it all depends who he surrounds himself with. Might keep Brandon for administration only but football people with experience need to arrive and maybe clean out the mindset here.

That situation alone could make Marrone insert Orton even quicker. He's working for his job beyond the 12 remaining games.
                Last edited by Night Train; 09-29-2014, 10:05 AM.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Gibby
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by blackonyx89 View Post
                  If I'm correct the next two games will officially give him a year's experience and by the looks of his performances, he has not played or stepped up his game to be a competent starter. Doug would be very foolish if he continues to struggle next week against Detroit and loses and it'd be madness if they go into the New England game and Orton isn't the starter. To "save" the season and at least go to 8-8 or a wild card it's time to pull the plug on EJ, the sooner the better. I'm so tired of draft picks and projects!
                  How many games? Well, on his current trajectory I give him until week 6. Hear me out, yay I didn't EJ that and write Here, if we chuck him in week six we are still 2-4 which means that if Orton or someone else can catch fire we still have a legitimate shot at the playoffs. I am a Bills fan first, and although I want EJ to succeed (he is a nice boy, and I feel sorry for the kid as his mama is a cancer survivor) I do not want the chances given to him to succeed to derail us from a post season berth for a fifteenth straight year (I had to wait 29 years before the Royals got their **** together, I don't want to have to wait that long for the Bills).

So on current trajectory, he gets until week six, because if we can't go in to the bye at at least 4-4, we have no real shot at the post season. However, you will notice that I said current trajectory, namely that he gets worse by the week and regresses with every play costing us to lose (which he did for the first time this season against Houston, yes the guy who picked off the pass is perhaps the best defensive lineman in the league since Bruce Smith and Reggie White, but that decision to throw that pass derailed and deflated us and cost us the game) . I say that because if he beats the Lions and then ****s the bed against the pats he gets to stay until week 7. If he beats the Lions and Pats, he stays until eight, and if somehow he gets into december and we are 9-5 or so well then he gets to complete the year. If he makes the post season I expect him to continue to improve next year.

Unfortunately, I think he peaked against Miami and will not get better so therefore he gets 2 weeks to prove me wrong. Actually I am going to be even more of an ass, he has to beat the Lions to continue the experiment. If he can't beat Detroit, I know that he can't win against New England because honestly we just don't do well against them. If he does beat the Lions he gets a pass against New England provided the Cheaties only win by the refs gift wrapping the game, IE the Bills were up 30 to 24 with 11 seconds left and the Pats get the ball back at their one yard line. Then Brady gets sacked in the endzone for a safety, and only then do we discover that a Pats reserve RB -- who was getting getting ice put on his knee in the locker room, and therefore is not even in the game on the play -- runs out of the tunnel and into the endzone at the other end of the field and the refs throw a penalty flag, ejects the entire defense for roughing the passer and calls a 99 yard pass interference so the Pats get 1st and goal at the other other end of the field with no opposition and wins the game.

IF something screwball happens like this, but EJ did all possible to win and we beat the Lions before that he gets a pass, but after that he has to beat very beatable opponents from New Jersey and Minnesota.

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                    When do you think we go to the bullpen for a GM that knows what he's doing?

What's going to knock Whaley out of contention?
                    I can't answer that Fletch, but I can tell you that my gut tells me that the next time we are looking to hire, (HC or GM) there will truly be an "extensive search".

Not Brandon hiring his buddies.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                      Marrone isn't going to hitch his wagon to Manuel like Gailey did to Fitz.

I still believe Manuel is more Nix/Whaley and that camp blowup was about Marrone wanting Orton immediately, since he doubted he had any good QB on his roster but knew Manuel would start the year.

I could see the Chargers game outcome, since they are a legit good team.

Yesterday, you could see the heart of this team just quit, once Watt ran back that TD. Gameplan was brutal and they deserve the questions about not running the ball more. So if the Texans did adjust for the run, Manuel obviously wasn't ready to adjust his game to exploit the D in front of him...and may NEVER be ready.

If Marrone has any real pulse of this team, he should be thinking TODAY about giving Orton reps with the first team in practice. He's making around 11 Mil for 2 years.

New owner should take over soon and it all depends who he surrounds himself with. Might keep Brandon for administration only but football people with experience need to arrive and maybe clean out the mindset here.

That situation alone could make Marrone insert Orton even quicker. He's working for his job beyond the 12 remaining games.
                      If you replay that Watt play it truly was horrid. We didn't even have a player assigned to block him. I mean Henderson ends up blocking no one and Chandler is running a pass pattern. I wonder if it was designed that way or someone messed up. http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-m...tt-s-Your-Pick

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Here are a couple of excuses.
                        Ej had to prepare for the combine last year so he wasn't able to prepare for the regular season 2013.
                        14 games is not even 1 season so cut him some slack.

In his 14th game EJ threw for 225 yds in 44 attempts

In his FIRST game Teddy Bridgewater threw for 317 yds in 30 attempts prior to leaving the game with an injury with 5 mins left.

EJ has yet to throw for a 300 yard game in 14 games. Oh and EJ did have a full offseason to prepare for regular season unlike Bridgewater.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
                          Here are a couple of excuses.
                          Ej had to prepare for the combine last year so he wasn't able to prepare for the regular season 2013.
                          14 games is not even 1 season so cut him some slack.

In his 14th game EJ threw for 225 yds in 44 attempts

In his FIRST game Teddy Bridgewater threw for 317 yds in 30 attempts prior to leaving the game with an injury with 5 mins left.

EJ has yet to throw for a 300 yard game in 14 games. Oh and EJ did have a full offseason to prepare for regular season unlike Bridgewater.
                          Let's have more fun with stats, Russell Wilson in 35 NFL regular season games has two 300 yard passing games and Colin Kaerpenick has the same as Willson in 36 NFL regular season games.
                          Last edited by The Jokeman; 09-29-2014, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• blackonyx89
                            HI I AM A FREAKING LIONS FAN
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                            Let's have more fun with stats, Russell Wilson in 35 NFL regular season games has two 300 yard passing games and Colin Kaerpenick has the same as Willson in 36 NFL regular season games.
                            Wow! He got benched, my prediction came quicker than I expected. LOL!!! Had to make the change and hope that Orton can get to .500 or better, we'll see!
                            Let's Go Bills, make it happen!!!

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                              Wilson has a superbowl ring and multiple playoff wins.
                              Kaepernick has an NFC championship and multiple playoff wins.

They both have more playoff wins than EJ has career wins.

Nice comparison. Keep it going.

Comment

Working...
                              X