• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeMama
    Emotion Sickness
    • Oct 2002

FredEx stands behind coach’s decision to bench EJ

If the unquestioned leader of this team supports this decision, I think the rest of us can too.

Buffalo Bills running back Fred Jackson said he’s standing behind any decision made by coach Doug Marrone – including Monday’s call to bench second-year quarterback EJ Manuel in favor of veteran Kyle Orton.

“It’s a decision that was made, and one that we just have to go out there and make it the right decision,” Jackson said before appearing on Monday’s episode of “The Fred Jackson Show” on WBBZ-TV. “Everybody’s got to continue to work. We’ve got to make everything as smooth a transition for Kyle as we can.”

Marrone made it a point to address his decision with the team’s captains, including Jackson, shortly after making it Monday.

“He told us why,” Jackson said. “He kind of alluded to some of it in his press conference, but the stuff that he said to us, we’ll just keep in the locker room. He … just kind of let us know what he was doing it for and why the decision was made, and how he felt about EJ.”

As a leader of the team, Jackson reached out to Manuel shortly thereafter.

“I just told him to keep his head up,” Jackson said. “Like coach said, we aren’t giving up on EJ. We’re just making this move right now to see if we can get some more production out of the position. If it works, it works.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bi...ision-20140929
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: FredEx stands behind coach’s decision to bench EJ

As OpIv says, Fred is saying what he needs to say.

Monday morning before the change was announced, Fred gave EJ his full support.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
      Unreachable Douche
      • Jul 2002

EJ was on the path of getting Marrone fired.
      Marrone is trying to save his job switching to Orton.

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
        Indeed and to be positive who knows maybe EJ Manuel turns into the next Alex Smith.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
          Indeed and to be positive who knows maybe EJ Manuel turns into the next Alex Smith.
          playing well for another team? i certainly hope not. lol
          I came.
          I saw.
          I conquered.

Comment

• The Jokeman
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
            playing well for another team? i certainly hope not. lol
            The 49ers got a few draft picks out of the dealing Smith to the Chiefs. That said EJ might be able to do it here as Smith did it briefly with the 49ers when Kaepernick got hurt a few years ago which lead to his eventual trade.

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
              • Nov 2007

The 49ers got a few draft picks out of the dealing Smith to the Chiefs. That said EJ might be able to do it here as Smith did it briefly with the 49ers when Kaepernick got hurt a few years ago which lead to his eventual trade.
              excellent point. fair enough.
              I came.
              I saw.
              I conquered.

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

Finally a coach that appropriately manages things.

hes strong enough to tell Brandon to go **** himself.

Comment

• cookie G
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                  If the unquestioned leader of this team supports this decision, I think the rest of us can too.
                  He's the perfect person to reach out to EJ after his benching..

After the way he had to scratch and claw his way to the roster, the fact that 2 separate No. 1 picks were used for a RB, the fact that every year, someone makes the comment that he's washed up...he has the history to say that it isn't the end of the world.

Keep plugging, fix what needs to be fixed, improve.

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by cookie G View Post

After the way he had to scratch and claw his way to the roster, the fact that 2 separate No. 1 picks were used for a RB, the fact that every year, someone makes the comment that he's washed up...he has the history to say that it isn't the end of the world.

Seriously. I heard one time he applied to be a grocery bagger but lost out to Kurt Warner. He didn't let that stop him!

Comment

• The Jokeman
                      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by cookie G View Post

and yet one of those former 1st Round picks that Freddie "unseated here" went to another team and lead them to a Super Bowl win. I get that Freddie Jackson is a great story and a great man but I'd call him far from a great NFL player. I mentioned in another thread that he's more of a Chris Warren than a Barry Sanders. Answer me this, do you think the Bills would be a better team the last 3 seasons with Marshawn Lynch/Fred Jackson and Dez Bryant on the field or better with what we have had? I get why people want to love Freddie but I don't get why they have to feed into the fact that this team is better because he's starting.

Comment

• jimmifli
                        • Nov 2006

and yet one of those former 1st Round picks that Freddie "unseated here" went to another team and lead them to a Super Bowl win. I get that Freddie Jackson is a great story and a great man but I'd call him far from a great NFL player. I mentioned in another thread that he's more of a Chris Warren than a Barry Sanders. Answer me this, do you think the Bills would be a better team the last 3 seasons with Marshawn Lynch/Fred Jackson and Dez Bryant on the field or better with what we have had? I get why people want to love Freddie but I don't get why they have to feed into the fact that this team is better because he's starting.
                        Fred's had a better ypc and caught way passes than Marshawn since the trade. I think they're comparable players. I think we'd have been better with Fred and used the pick on Revis instead of Marshawn.

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by TacklingDummy View Post
                          Not that I'm a fan, but I guess I don't envy Marrone.

Kinda like ****canning Weeden for Jason Campbell last season. An improvement yes, but how much of one.
                          http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                          (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                          Originally Posted by pmoon6
                          The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                          ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by coastal View Post
                            Finally a coach that appropriately manages things.

hes strong enough to tell Brandon to go **** himself.
                            Do we know the truth of what's going on behind the scenes?

Otherwise, everyone here talks about how Nix picked Manuel when Whaley has admitted it.
                            http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                            (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                            Originally Posted by pmoon6
                            The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• stuckincincy
                              Buffalo Bills Fan
                              • Sep 2003

Or Akili...
                              Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

Working...
                              X