X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fletch
    • May 2007

Some info on Orton

Who is Kyle Orton and what can the Denver Broncos expect from him in 2008?

fwiw
    http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
    (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
    Originally Posted by pmoon6
    The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

• better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Some info on Orton

A long write up, but very interesting. I think EJ can learn something from Orton by sitting a while & watching Orton play.

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Yeah, it was interesting for sure. I skimmed it and hit the meaty parts.

I don't think that learning is EJ's problem. It's the ability to put what he's learned into practice, which he seems to be unable to do. We keep hearing about how bright the guy is, but bright people don't struggle like he does in doing that. He's got the softs but he just doesn't and never had the hard skills. It was always his athleticism that allowed him to be a very average college QB.

I have no idea why anyone thought he'd be average in the NFL when he couldn't do more than that in college.

The key for us is a new GM and head coach. The current ones might string this out much further than it should be strung out. They need to admit the mistake and move on. I don't see Whaley doing that, especially since he's all-in on Manuel now he really can't and get away with it. If they don't move on then it will inhibit us from getting a real QB. Time to let Manuel be another team's project. Time to let Whaley go. Both were equally bad decisions for this team. Then fire Brandon who made that decision.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• The Jokeman
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Fletch View Post

I don't think that learning is EJ's problem. It's the ability to put what he's learned into practice, which he seems to be unable to do. We keep hearing about how bright the guy is, but bright people don't struggle like he does in doing that. He's got the softs but he just doesn't and never had the hard skills. It was always his athleticism that allowed him to be a very average college QB.

I have no idea why anyone thought he'd be average in the NFL when he couldn't do more than that in college.

The key for us is a new GM and head coach. The current ones might string this out much further than it should be strung out. They need to admit the mistake and move on. I don't see Whaley doing that, especially since he's all-in on Manuel now he really can't and get away with it. If they don't move on then it will inhibit us from getting a real QB. Time to let Manuel be another team's project. Time to let Whaley go. Both were equally bad decisions for this team. Then fire Brandon who made that decision.
        Your grass is greener on the other side angers me. As if you can't see that Whaley hasn't made this team better than it was you really need to bone up on your history. As quite frankly I think Whaley has done a good job in bringing in talent. Also look back at that draft where we took Manuel. Take a closer look, here's a list of the guys selected in the 1st after EJ. Sort through it and tell me which one of them would you want instead? Then tell me which NFL QB should we have signed for as an UFA that would fix our QB situation? It's easy to criticise but as of yet I haven't heard you tell me what you feel the better alternative was? As quite frankly there may not have been one.

17 17 Jarvis Jones Steelers LB Georgia
        18 18 Eric Reid 49ers DB Louisiana State
        19 19 Justin Pugh Giants T Syracuse
        20 20 Kyle Long Bears G Oregon
        21 21 Tyler Eifert Bengals TE Notre Dame
        22 22 Desmond Trufant Falcons DB Washington
        23 23 Sharrif Floyd Vikings DT Florida
        24 24 Bjoern Werner Colts DE Florida State
        25 25 Xavier Rhodes Vikings DB Florida State
        26 26 Datone Jones Packers DE UCLA
        27 27 DeAndre Hopkins Texans WR Clemson
        28 28 Sylvester Williams Broncos DT North Carolina
        29 29 Cordarrelle Patterson Vikings WR Tennessee
        30 30 Alec Ogletree Rams LB Georgia
        31 31 Travis Frederick Cowboys C Wisconsin
        32 32 Matt Elam Ravens DB Florida

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

EJ went to bowl games in College & won them, he was the best QB in the Senior bowl for both teams.

EJ has never until now had an NFL vet to sit behind & learn from & his OC was in his first year last year with no NFL experience.

Questionable how much Hackett taught EJ.

Comment

• stuckincincy
            Buffalo Bills Fan
            • Sep 2003

Thanks - nice write-up.

Side note: Regarding Orton's interception totals, Lovie Smith kept him in against a strong CIN club his rookie year, letting him suffer through 5 picks. I thought that was merciless.
            Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Mike13
              • Aug 2005

He is also the lead singer for the Foo Fighters.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                • Mar 2013

Orton knows how to run the no huddle, hmmm....

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

"For example, John Madden, during the Philly game, noted that the closer you get to the goal line, the better Kyle Orton is. He meant that Kyle can make all the throws in the shortened field. It really plays to his strengths..."

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                    • Mar 2013

"Watching him carve up Philadelphia like a Thanksgiving turkey in Week 4 was enlightening. He threw 3 TD passes in the 1st half against a pretty good Philly defense. He really does excel in that red zone - he also used the no-huddle very effectively to control the blitz.. Orton was sacked 4 times, hit 4 times more, knocked down 3 times and had 2 batted balls. That was in just the 1st half plus 10 minutes of the Philadelphia game. He still came up with 3 TD passes in that time. That was pretty good, considering how he was pummeled:."

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                      • Mar 2013

"Given the difficult road that his tenure in Chicago endured, his record of 21-12 says it all."

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                        • Mar 2013

21-12 in Chicago. That's including his rookie year.

He can run a no huddle offense.

His red zone numbers are exactly what the Bills have been looking for.

I'm getting a woody reading this article.

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                          Your grass is greener on the other side angers me. As if you can't see that Whaley hasn't made this team better than it was you really need to bone up on your history. As quite frankly I think Whaley has done a good job in bringing in talent. Also look back at that draft where we took Manuel. Take a closer look, here's a list of the guys selected in the 1st after EJ. Sort through it and tell me which one of them would you want instead? Then tell me which NFL QB should we have signed for as an UFA that would fix our QB situation? It's easy to criticise but as of yet I haven't heard you tell me what you feel the better alternative was? As quite frankly there may not have been one.
                          Believe it or not there are other possibilities. First of all let's not forget that Whaley was the Asst. GM and top personnel guy since 2010. Selective memory failure is no excuse for not pointing that out.

Second of all I wouldn't have allowed this team to get into that predicament to begin with so laying Whaley's failures and mess from 2010 thru 2012 at my feet isn't fair.

So let's start there. I was literally screaming at my friends for us to select Wilson when he was available in 2012! Problem solved!

Anything else?

My grass is greener. Your suggesting that i'm just as foolish and stupid as Whaley annoys me.

I also wouldn't have wasted a 1st round pick on Spiller, 3rd round picks on Graham or Goodwin, or a 2nd rounder on Aaron Williams. I sure as hell wouldn't have traded away next year's 1st and 4th for Watkins and would have taken Evans or Benjamin instead, whichever was available at 9th if I even felt that I needed a WR that badly instead of not keeping Stevie for another season.
                          Last edited by Fletch; 10-01-2014, 09:47 PM.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Fletch
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by better days View Post
                            EJ went to bowl games in College & won them, he was the best QB in the Senior bowl for both teams.

EJ has never until now had an NFL vet to sit behind & learn from & his OC was in his first year last year with no NFL experience.

Questionable how much Hackett taught EJ.
                            We've been through this. I post it again and people tell me I'm beating a dead horse. You were in on this very conversation months back. Go reread it.

FSU won despite EJ not because of him. He had one good bowl game. It's ******ed to suggest that anything but his bowl game performance vs. Notre Dame, which wasn't even a very good team, contributed heavily to any of FSU's bowl games.

Fortunately the EJ era is over here seemingly and he won't likely start for another NFL team except as a backup.

Now it's Pegula's turn to clean house.
                            Last edited by Fletch; 10-01-2014, 09:53 PM.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Buffalogic
                              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                              • Feb 2006

Believe it or not there are other possibilities. First of all let's not forget that Whaley was the Asst. GM and top personnel guy since 2010. Selective memory failure is no excuse for not pointing that out.

Second of all I wouldn't have allowed this team to get into that predicament to begin with so laying Whaley's failures and mess from 2010 thru 2012 at my feet isn't fair.

So let's start there. I was literally screaming at my friends for us to select Wilson when he was available in 2012! Problem solved!

Anything else?

My grass is greener. Your suggesting that i'm just as foolish and stupid as Whaley annoys me.

I also wouldn't have wasted a 1st round pick on Spiller, 3rd round picks on Graham or Goodwin, or a 2nd rounder on Aaron Williams. I sure as hell wouldn't have traded away next year's 1st and 4th for Watkins and would have taken Evans or Benjamin instead, whichever was available at 9th if I even felt that I needed a WR that badly instead of not keeping Stevie for another season.
                              Ya, you'd do that if you wanted to be fired. Our team would be a lot worse off without Spiller, Watkins, and Williams and there's no way we would make the playoffs this year without them. Those guys are reliable starters in the NFL. That's what you are hoping to get in the draft. What would you like instead? Kiko Alonso's at every pick?

The bills have been bad because of the constant total whiffs in the draft like EJ, not the guys who are actually performing well at this level.

Comment

Working...
                              X