X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Brian Hoyer

Upgrade over Otron? I would be surprised to see him back with the Browns next season and his numbers are very good. I must say, I have not seen him play at all though. Anyone watch his game?
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

• better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Brian Hoyer

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
    Upgrade over Otron? I would be surprised to see him back with the Browns next season and his numbers are very good. I must say, I have not seen him play at all though. Anyone watch his game?
    We were flipping that game on during commercials.

I said to my friends, I would like to see the Bills sign Hoyer in the off season.

With Johnny Football in waiting, do the Browns want to give Hoyer a starters contract?

Comment

• casdhf
      • Jul 2002

I just read on NFL.com that Hoyer won't sign one apparently with Johnny on the team.
      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• don137
        • Jul 2002

I would be shocked if Cleveland lets him go. If he continues doing well they would be foolish to replace Hoyer with an unknown just because he is a first round pick. That is a decision that can get GMs fired if backfires.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
          Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

I always liked him. He's a lot more athletic but Orton has the veteran experience.

Comment

• better days
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by don137 View Post
            I would be shocked if Cleveland lets him go. If he continues doing well they would be foolish to replace Hoyer with an unknown just because he is a first round pick. That is a decision that can get GMs fired if backfires.
            Well, he is a FA after this year.

I think it will take a Starting QB's contract to keep him in Cleveland.

Do the Bowns want to pay that much to keep him with Manziel waiting on the bench?

Comment

• The Jokeman
              • Dec 2003

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
              I'd rather the Bills sign the Browns' TE Jordan Cameron. I know Chandler was great Sunday but he almost always excels against New England. If the Bills are going to pursue a veteran QB in UFA one name I'd look at is Austin Davis who's currently starting in St. Louis. He might not be an upgrade but he's still young and at the very least he could be a long term backup as I don't see Orton playing in Buffalo after his current contract runs out.
              Last edited by The Jokeman; 10-14-2014, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• better days
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by The Jokeman View Post
                I'd rather the Bills sign the Browns' TE Jordan Cameron. I know Chandler was great Sunday but he almost always excels against New England. If the Bills are going to pursue a veteran QB in UFA one name I'd look at is Austin Davis who's currently starting in St. Louis. He might not be an upgrade but he's still young and at the very least he could be a long term backup as I don't see Orton playing in Buffalo after his current contract runs out.
                Hoyer has plenty of mileage left on his tires & I think is a better QB than Davis.

Comment

• Fletch
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by don137 View Post
                  Agreed. If they make the playoffs with him then they'd be fools to let him walk.

What's doing it offensively for the Browns is their RBs. West, Tate, and Crowell are all averaging over 4.4 ypc and collectively they have 715 yards on 4.7 ypc.

Everyone here clammored about how ****ty their WRs were, but their top five WRs comprised of 4 WRs and 1 TE have 71 catches for 1,039 yards and 6 TDs. Our top five non-RB receivers also comprised of 4 WRs and 1 TD have 81 catches for 1,028 yards and 5 TDs, despite Cleveland throwing for over 200 fewer yards on the season. Good or bad, the difference between them and us is that Jackson is our second leading receiver and they don't have a RB in the top-7.

I have watched Hoyer a few times this season just wondering how he's playing, and I would describe his play as efficient. He gets done what needs to be done at the times that it needs to be done generally speaking and the Browns have great offensive balance as a result.

They have three easy games followed by Cincy and then two more easy games ahead with three of the five easy games being at home. Their only two losses at this point have been to divisional rivals and they've split with Pittsburgh. They could very easily be 7-4 by the time that they play us.
                  http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                  (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                  Originally Posted by pmoon6
                  The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                  ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• feldspar
                    • Mar 2007

I remember a time that Buffalo made a knee-jerk decision to sign a guy to a big contract after 6 games or so. I'll give you two hints: it was fairly recent, and the guy had a tremendous beard.

Of course, the right thing to do is to let it play out before you hand a QB starters money on any level. Anything could happen, including Hoyer getting hurt again.

Gotta remember that Cleveland is Hoyer's hometown. It's his dream job to play there. It's a great story (so far) ask me. I really doubt that Hoyer would turn down starters money to play there, Johnny Football or no.

Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer stressed that he wants to remain a Cleveland Brown, but when asked about a report that he won't sign a long-term deal with the Browns if Johnny Manziel is here, he said, "I want to be somewhere where I'm playing.''

I just can't see getting too carried away with a guy like Hoyer at this point. Will he be an upgrade over Orton? How will he do in a different system? I don't like the sample size right now.

Comment

• better days
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by feldspar View Post
                      I remember a time that Buffalo made a knee-jerk decision to sign a guy to a big contract after 6 games or so. I'll give you two hints: it was fairly recent, and the guy had a tremendous beard.

Of course, the right thing to do is to let it play out before you hand a QB starters money on any level. Anything could happen, including Hoyer getting hurt again.

Gotta remember that Cleveland is Hoyer's hometown. It's his dream job to play there. It's a great story (so far) ask me. I really doubt that Hoyer would turn down starters money to play there, Johnny Football or no.

Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer stressed that he wants to remain a Cleveland Brown, but when asked about a report that he won't sign a long-term deal with the Browns if Johnny Manziel is here, he said, "I want to be somewhere where I'm playing.''

I just can't see getting too carried away with a guy like Hoyer at this point. Will he be an upgrade over Orton? How will he do in a different system? I don't like the sample size right now.
                      Well, there are a number of games to be played yet to increase the sample size & this is not Hoyer's first year.

I agree, if the Browns offer him a Starters contract, Hoyer takes it.

$10-$12 Mill per year with GUARANTEED money. The Browns will have to offer him a contract that guarantees he starts.

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

If Hoyer gets them to the playoffs they'd be foolish to trade him or let him walk for someone who's chances for success in the NFL are still unknown.

Best case scenario for them is if Hoyer gets hurt or something and Johnny football has to play so that they can evaluate.

I can understand Hoyer's concern that if he re-signs and becomes a backup to Manziel, but I don't know why he can't put a clause that he's allowed to be a free agent if he doesn't start so many games in his contract. Seems reasonable to me.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                        ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                          • May 2007

And Rob Johnson too.

Hoyer has played very well since starting in Cleveland. I'd swap him for Orton. I'm sure that the coaches would ruin his career here though.

Post #46

------

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                            And Rob Johnson too.

Hoyer has played very well since starting in Cleveland. I'd swap him for Orton. I'm sure that the coaches would ruin his career here though.
                            Coaches don't ruin players unless they do something that gets the guy injured. That's the biggest fallacy in the NFL. I'll go as far as saying no coach has ever ruined a QB, but plenty of QBs have been coach killers. The reason fans say a guy got ruined is because they just can't accept that the guy who they thought was going to be great is a giant bust. Fans can't believe that their team's scouts are clueless, so they blame the coaches when the team drafts a guy who should have never been drafted in the 1st place. It's a lot easier to blame the high profile coach instead of some scout whose name we don't even know. No player with an ounce of intestinal fortitude has ever been ruined by a benching or being yanked in & out of games. You can't ruin a JP Losman, like many around here said back in the day, he was never any good, unless you count the UFL. Nobody should ever accuse Rex Ryan or Doug Marrone of ruining Geno or EJ-they were each drafted about 7 rounds too soon. I won't be surprised that on the day Kouandjio gets cut, someone posts how the Bills ruined him, although most of the ruined nonsense is usually reserved for QBs.

Comment

• better days
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Albany,n.y. View Post
                              Coaches don't ruin players unless they do something that gets the guy injured. That's the biggest fallacy in the NFL. I'll go as far as saying no coach has ever ruined a QB, but plenty of QBs have been coach killers. The reason fans say a guy got ruined is because they just can't accept that the guy who they thought was going to be great is a giant bust. Fans can't believe that their team's scouts are clueless, so they blame the coaches when the team drafts a guy who should have never been drafted in the 1st place. It's a lot easier to blame the high profile coach instead of some scout whose name we don't even know. No player with an ounce of intestinal fortitude has ever been ruined by a benching or being yanked in & out of games. You can't ruin a JP Losman, like many around here said back in the day, he was never any good, unless you count the UFL. Nobody should ever accuse Rex Ryan or Doug Marrone of ruining Geno or EJ-they were each drafted about 7 rounds too soon. I won't be surprised that on the day Kouandjio gets cut, someone posts how the Bills ruined him, although most of the ruined nonsense is usually reserved for QBs.
                              Well, a QB that has a NUMBER of different people coaching him in a number of different systems while he is developing can be ruined by that.

Joe Montana would never have become a HOF QB if he were drafted by a team like the Texans were when they drafted Carr.

Comment

Working...
                              X