X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bf1
    • Oct 2010

Now that the Honeymoon is Over, Lets Talk Pegula

He/they hasn't really had a good track record with the Sabres, right?

Should we be concerned about their ability to turn this 14 year disaster around?

• sukie
    Seriously?
    • Sep 2012

Re: Now that the Honeymoon is Over, Lets Talk Pegula

Hey he's bringing minor league hockey tourneys to buffalo to coincide with his minor league NHL team. And the fall out is a snazzy new Courtyard by Marriott...

- - - Updated - - -
    PS the honeymoon isn't over and the evidence will surely follow.

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Originally posted by bf1 View Post
      He/they hasn't really had a good track record with the Sabres, right?

Should we be concerned about their ability to turn this 14 year disaster around?
      The Sabres experts seem to differ in opinion based on pre-Pegula-purchase posts.

I definitely think that we need to be concerned, especially with Kim seemingly want to get involved. If she simply takes the CEO role and tends to league business, then great. But if she becomes a Snyder or Jones-like influence here how could anyone possibly spin that as good news?

Also, by Whaley's own admission, if Manuel whiffs, and he has, and particularly if we don't make the playoffs this season after promising such after trading the farm to get Watkins, then he should be gone. There isn't a single reason to keep him at that point from a football standpoint. He'll have only proven that he's clueless and is in over his head just as much as our coaching staff is.

Terry seems to be more interested in creating some sort of downtown entertainment venue than he is in actually putting a winning product on the field. That's largely based on speculation, but I haven't read a quote by him yet promising to do what it takes to put a winning team on the field with no sacred cows being spared.

How this season plays out will answer a lot of questions. If we don't end up winning at least 8 games, Whaley should be fired within hours after our 9th loss whenever that is. That would be a nice opening statement.

If we do end up winning 9 games, then we can talk. 8-8 is debatable.

For now this team appears to be another crumbling Bills team that is headed for 6-10 or 7-9 again. We don't even have any significant injuries. If we lose Orton, Watkins, Woods, Chandler, or Jackson on offense, or one of our Tackles, it won't be good. If we lose one of our DL-men it also won't be good. We will lose someone at some point, the question is who. But right now we are enjoying a huge non-injury advantage and still can't capitalize.
      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
      Originally Posted by pmoon6
      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• feldspar
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by sukie View Post
        PS the honeymoon isn't over and the evidence will surely follow.
        Correct. The honeymoon isn't over. Not by a longshot.

He's been the owner of the Bills for less than a week, for Christ's sake. The suitcases haven't even unpacked yet.

Comment

• Goobylal
          • Jan 2004

The honeymoon will never be over. He'll keep the team in Buffalo for our lifetimes and that's all you need to know. Anything beyond that is gravy.

Comment

• casdhf
            • Jul 2002

He tried to buy his way into the NHL playoffs. He failed, cleaned house, and gutted the roster. He obviously learned from his mistake and is doing things the right way. The NFL is a different animal than the NHL, so we really just have to wait and see.
            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• imbondz
              Democrats are people too
              • Jan 2003

I'm still on the honeymoon
              My faith doesn’t make me perfect, it makes me forgiven.

Comment

• sukie
                Seriously?
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by casdhf View Post
                He tried to buy his way into the NHL playoffs. He failed, cleaned house, and gutted the roster. He obviously learned from his mistake and is doing things the right way. The NFL is a different animal than the NHL, so we really just have to wait and see.
                All on the advice of the same ole Same ole GM... That was kept in place far too long.

Comment

• jamze132
                  • Jun 2003

Just about everyone is saying that the Sabres will be a team to be recokoned with in a couple of years...

We're going to have to deal with yet another coach/roster turnover with the Bills before we experience continued success.

Comment

• sukie
                    Seriously?
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                    Just about everyone is saying that the Sabres will be a team to be recokoned with in a couple of years...

That has been said many many times... Then sprinkle in the "Only a couple of peices away"... lather rinse repeat.

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                      • May 2024

Originally posted by jamze132 View Post
                      They have been saying that about the Oilers for an even longer period.

Often high draft picks just don't work out.

Comment

• trapezeus
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Oct 2004

mid season takeover, there isn't much he can do. it's all house money at this point. let the team play out the season and assess afterwards.

i really think that his use of a consultant in buying the team has a bunch of other consulting on how to build a winner. i don't think they are flying blind on this. the sabres, it looked like he was just a big fan and thought, "give them money and let's see what can happen". He also has a reputation of being fair. and he let lindy and darcy fail or succeed. when they failed, he moved on. he didn't go with the mob.

If the bills miss the playoffs in a melt down, i think he starts over. if they are close, i think he'll give people a chance to fix it. and if they win, he'll get all the credit for doing nothing but wiring money over.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                          • Jul 2002

They are finally doing with the Sabres what should have been done 6 or 7 year ago after we lost Briere and Drury.

Gut the roster of the soft core of players and start over.

They have the #1 rated farm system in hockey and they are tanking for the next Gretsky (Conor Mcdavid)

We WANT to lose this year. They are doing what the Bills should have done with Luck. It is obvious and it is the right thing to do.

Comment

• YardRat
                            Well, lookie here...
                            • Dec 2004

As trap somewhat alluded to, the honeymoon really goes for the rest of this season.

I know some think Pegs is doing the right thing with the Sabres, and I honestly don't know how much influence the following received from Terry as opposed to Murray, but the hiring and extension of Nolan certainly doesn't inspire confidence in me.

After almost 45 years of following the Bills and all of the pitfalls, I'm kind of over the 'clean house and rebuild' business model, I've been through it too many times and don't know how many more I have left in me. I'd prefer the team start to win some games on the field, get to the playoffs with this roster plus a few upgrades, and let Whaley and Marrone have an opportunity to finish what they started last year.
                            YardRat Wall of Fame
                            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by SpikedLemonade View Post
                              They have been saying that about the Oilers for an even longer period.

Often high draft picks just don't work out.
                              Can't disagree here but Mcdavid and Eichel are much higher level prospects than who the Oilers got.

After this season they must make an effort to keep and acquire established players as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X