Would You Trade CJ Spiller For A 3rd Round Draft Pick or Potential Starting Guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsImpossible
    • Mar 2013

Would You Trade CJ Spiller For A 3rd Round Draft Pick or Potential Starting Guard?

Tuesday, October 28th at 4:00 pm is the NFL Trade Deadline Date.

If Doug Whaley's phone rings and another team offers to give up a 2015 3rd round draft pick for CJ Spiller, or a potential starting guard, would you trade him?

If the Bills can get an extra draft pick next year, why not? I don't see CJ Spiller in the future plans of the Bills. They're not going to pay him $5 million a season and a huge signing bonus.

I think a 3rd rounder is fair, but of course Whaley is going to want a 2nd rounder and the other team's GM won't budge beyond a 4th round draft pick.

Memories of Marshawn Lynch? CJ Spiller is a totally different kind of running back compared to Lynch who can pound the ball up the middle.

Who's more desperate at running back? Not the Bills.

Who's more desperate at guard? The Bills.

Trade Spiller? I'd say yes simply because he's not going to be here next year and he hasn't helped the Bills win this year.

Spiller has low mileage on his wheels. He's 27 years old and has at least 3 more good but not great years left.

Hopefully he has a great game against the Vikings and a deal gets done.
  • better days
    • Jan 2010

Re: Would You Trade CJ Spiller For A 3rd Round Draft Pick or Potential Starting Guard

No team is going to offer a 3rd rnd pick for any player this late in the season that will be a FA at the end of the year.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
      • Mar 2013

Re: Would You Trade CJ Spiller For A 3rd Round Draft Pick or Potential Starting Guard

Originally posted by better days View Post
      No team is going to offer a 3rd rnd pick for any player this late in the season that will be a FA at the end of the year.
      The Dolphins really need a running back. A trade within the division? That would be ballsy.

What other teams need a running back?

Comment

• Mr. Pink
        Peterman Sucks!
        • Mar 2006

CJ Spiller ain't even worth a 6th round pick.

He's a little flash with a lot of dance.

He doesn't hit holes, he doesn't break contact, he can't block.

All in a league where the importance of RB is basically minimal.

Comment

• better days
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
          The Dolphins really need a running back. A trade within the division? That would be ballsy.

What other teams need a running back?
          This late in the season, to go to a new team, not knowing the offense or playbook, I DOUBT any team would trade anything more than a 6th rnd pick for a player that will be a FA after only 10 games.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
            • Mar 2013

Carolina Panthers?

Denver Broncos? CJ Spiller with Peyton Manning, that would be interesting.

Comment

• BillsImpossible
              • Mar 2013

This late in the season, to go to a new team, not knowing the offense or playbook, I DOUBT any team would trade anything more than a 6th rnd pick for a player that will be a FA after only 10 games.
              Learning the playbook for running backs is a whole lot different than every other position. It is the easiest position to learn from college to the NFL.

UB's own Branden Oliver is a great example.

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                CJ Spiller ain't even worth a 6th round pick.

He's a little flash with a lot of dance.

He doesn't hit holes, he doesn't break contact, he can't block.

All in a league where the importance of RB is basically minimal.
                He's great in space, aka with no one around him and huge holes.

LOL
                http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
                (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
                Originally Posted by pmoon6
                The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• better days
                  • Jan 2010

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                  Learning the playbook for running backs is a whole lot different than every other position. It is the easiest position to learn from college to the NFL.

UB's own Branden Oliver is a great example.
                  Agreed, to learn the RB position is maybe the easiest position to learn, but still a game will be played this weekend, CJ is not going to play in that game for any team other than the Bills.

So CJ would be a 9 game rental. Nobody is going to pay anything more than a 6th for that.

Comment

• Fletch
                    • May 2007

Agreed, to learn the RB position is maybe the easiest position to learn, but still a game will be played this weekend, CJ is not going to play in that game for any team other than the Bills.

So CJ would be a 9 game rental. Nobody is going to pay anything more than a 6th for that.
                    So you've now gone from suggesting we get a 1st to saying that he's nothing more than a 6th.

Gotta hand it to you bd ...

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
                    ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• cookie G
                      • Mar 2003

no, but I'd trade Hackett for a copy of the South Buffalo Shamrocks run plays and a Diet Coke.

Comment

• Fletch
                        • May 2007

LOL

Post #46

------

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                          So you've now gone from suggesting we get a 1st to saying that he's nothing more than a 6th.

Gotta hand it to you bd ...
                          I am saying NO PLAYER about to become a FA after 9 games is worth more than a 6th.

I would be happy to see CJ resigned as long as Hackett goes & someone is hired that knows how to make use of CJ's talent.

Comment

• RedEyE
                            • Jul 2002

No one is going to trade away a starting G this far into the season.

Pick(s) would be great but I think the most Spiller is worth right now is a 4th. Perhaps a team desperate enough would give up a 3rd, but I think the Bills are better visiting this in the offseason. Trading him now doesn't help the team now.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                              • Sep 2004

our usual system is draft 'em in the 1st, trade 'em for a 4th

Comment

Working...
                              X