• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mightysimi
    Buckle me in on the highway of sin
    • Mar 2010

CJ Spiller Contract

With CJ being hurt for potentially the season, while it used to be a forgone conclusion that he would decline his player option, now I'm not so sure.

First would anyone pay close to 5M for someone coming off a season ending injury? An injury that has now happened twice. I doubt it.

He may want next year to try and secure that one last big contract.

If he goes on the open market, I don't think he makes any more than Tate did this year.

We might get one more year of Spiller.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: CJ Spiller Contract

I would low ball him and if he gets more from another team, so be it.

He's a gimmick guy and not a #1 RB, if even a #2. Hates running between the tackles and that eliminates him from any decent contract offer from the Bills. May be better as a WR/wingback Harvin type but his touches are limited to only a few.

RB's are easy to find in FA and later rounds of the draft. Nothing against him at all... he can pop a few plays a year but Hughes and others should be our primary FA concerns.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Fletch
      • May 2007

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
      I would low ball him and if he gets more from another team, so be it.

He's a gimmick guy and not a #1 RB, if even a #2. Hates running between the tackles and that eliminates him from any decent contract offer from the Bills. May be better as a WR/wingback Harvin type but his touches are limited to only a few.

RB's are easy to find in FA and later rounds of the draft. Nothing against him at all... he can pop a few plays a year but Hughes and others should be our primary FA concerns.
      What, you're not familiar with our front office now after all these years?

Overpaying is their specialty. I wouldn't be so sure about that.
      http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
      (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
      Originally Posted by pmoon6
      The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
      ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• JoeMama
        Emotion Sickness
        • Oct 2002

We should re-sign CJ on the cheap, then fall to our knees and beg Chan Gailey to return to Buffalo strictly as the offensive coordinator.

Gailey may have been a poor HC but he damn well knew how to squeeze the most production possible out of CJ Spiller and mediocre QB's. He would be an immediate upgrade over Natty Hackett.

CJ was a monster under Gailey.
        Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• mightysimi
          • Mar 2010

Well he's still here if he wants to be. Unless we cut him then we get about 2M in dead money. I would be alright with one more year before we try to re-sign him. RB's value only decreases with age.

Comment

• cookie G
            • Mar 2003

Why in the world would he want to come back and be used as a fullback?

Comment

• streetkings01
              • Jul 2006

How much is Sproles and Pierre Thomas getting? Thats the kind of contract Spiller is currently worth.

P. Thomas - 2yr $4 million
              D. Sproles - 3yr $10.5 million

I'd sign CJ to a 3yr $10 million similar to the Sproles contract.........tell him take it or leave it!
              You can call me streetkings

Comment

• mightysimi
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                Why in the world would he want to come back and be used as a fullback?
                who said anything about a fullback? Obviously that is a ridiculous idea.

Comment

• cookie G
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by mightysimi View Post
                  who said anything about a fullback? Obviously that is a ridiculous idea.
                  You're right, it is a ridiculous idea. Thank you for agreeing with me.

And yet..that's exactly how Soopah Genius Nate Hackett has been using him.

I have no idea why he'd want to come back to that.

Comment

• mightysimi
                    • Mar 2010

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                    You're right, it is a ridiculous idea. Thank you for agreeing with me.

And yet..that's exactly how Soopah Genius Nate Hackett has been using him.

I have no idea why he'd want to come back to that.
                    I'd say he has 5M reasons to return.

Comment

• stuckincincy
                      Buffalo Bills Fan
                      • Sep 2003

Decisions about Spiller have to be on hold. Many questions...

The extent of his injuries, F. Jackson's status now and in the future, how the replacements for both will fare in the coming games (the NYJ game was such an oddity - 6 turnovers, unheard-of field position all game long, 4 td passes out of 17 attempts).

Spiller isn't an especially gifted outside runner, certainly not useful as a wr as has been advocated by some since he was drafted, but he does have a great eye for an interior opening and beating that first defender and reeling off big yards.
                      Fiat justitia ruat caelum. Noli timere. Laus Deo.

Comment

• Ed
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                        We should re-sign CJ on the cheap, then fall to our knees and beg Chan Gailey to return to Buffalo strictly as the offensive coordinator.

Gailey may have been a poor HC but he damn well knew how to squeeze the most production possible out of CJ Spiller and mediocre QB's. He would be an immediate upgrade over Natty Hackett.

CJ was a monster under Gailey.
                        Our O-line was significantly better under Gailey also, with basically the same players. I don't know if it had a lot to do with the O-line coach, scheme, Fitz, or what, but our O-line was at its best during this long playoff drought under Gailey.

Comment

• better days
                          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Fletch View Post
                          What, you're not familiar with our front office now after all these years?

Overpaying is their specialty. I wouldn't be so sure about that.
                          Yeah, the Bills have a history of overpaying.

Overpaid Levitre, overpaid Byrd, overpaid Clements, overpaid Whitner

Comment

• Ed
                            • Sep 2002

So just to be clear, CJ Spiller has an option for a 6th year that only he can exercise, that's would pay him $5 million?

I don't think players normally exercise option years, but in CJ's case this might make sense for him. I guess a lot would depend on if he does actually end up returning this season and does anything significant. For example, if we did actually make the playoffs and he had a huge game that could change things dramatically as opposed to just missing the rest of the year.

Comment

• k-oneputt
                              • Jun 2009

He won't be back.
                              As stated, they don't know how to use him. He should play like a Harvin role.

With this coaching staff he is gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X