X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyGold
    • Dec 2008

Teams that win 10 games, lose 6 games

Things like this happen over the course of a 16 game season. It's not fun, but it's reality.

The better team lost today, unfortunately-- and what a flukey game it was. Bills fumble a TD out the back of the endzone, muff a punt, can't score from the 20, etc. etc. etc.

Bills were a clearly superior team though, and have looked good all season. That might not matter to the reactionary 24 year olds on here who have never seen a winning season, but there's too much talent on this Bills team to not make the playoffs. A split from these 2 games (Chiefs/Dolphins) seemed inevitable. Sammy wasn't himself, but the Bills ground game heated up in a major way, which was encouraging. To call for Orton's benching is insanity though--Alex Smith looked bad too. Defense carried the day.

But you know what?

The rest of the AFC has to play each other too many times. Pit lost to the Jets today, the Phins lost too. It happens to everyone.

No idea why people are giving up on December, we can beat all those teams, Denver included.

No clear point to this thread, but these are the ebs and flows of a wild card season. I think the worst part of a loss is coming on here and seeing the threads calling for Orton's head, or the ones saying we're "mathematically eliminated, for all intents and purposes". LOL. We're not.

In fact, we're not even out of the division race.

If we beat the Dolphins and Jets, and the Pats lose to the Lions and Colts, we're tied again.

Bottom line: As in the title, 10 win season also includes 6 losses. Don't kill yourself yet, have fun, enjoy the ride, and get ready for a game under the lights on Thursday!
  • kscdogbillsfan1221
    • Nov 2007

Re: Teams that win 10 games, lose 6 games

your optimism, albeit nice and refreshing, seems unrealistic to me.
    I came.
    I saw.
    I conquered.

Comment

• BillsFanCupp38
      • Mar 2004

Average QB and below average coaching doesn't get you to 10-6. This team is no where near 10-6. They are going to lose to the dolphins Thursday, then in dec they'll lose to GB, DEN, NE. That's four more loses putting us at best 8-8. No playoffs.. Maybe next year
      Jeremy Cupp

Comment

• Novacane
        • Jul 2002

They can't KC, SD, or NE at home but they can beat Denver and NE on the road? There's being optimistic and then there's being delusional

Comment

• YardRat
          Well, lookie here...
          • Dec 2004

This team's margin of error is razor thin, handicapped by an offense not nearly good enough to overcome multiple errors. The defense and special teams are strong enough to keep us in play against anybody, but without big plays from them or mistakes from the opponents, the offense will keep anybody in play against us.
          YardRat Wall of Fame
          #56 DARRYL TALLEY
          #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Fletch
            • May 2007

Originally posted by BillsFanCupp38 View Post
            Average QB and below average coaching doesn't get you to 10-6. This team is no where near 10-6. They are going to lose to the dolphins Thursday, then in dec they'll lose to GB, DEN, NE. That's four more loses putting us at best 8-8. No playoffs.. Maybe next year
            Fins just lost Brandon Albert. I think it will be a good game.

The bottom line with our team is that our offense is below average at scoring. Fine, look a the overall PF stats for Orton's five games that the Jets game sckewed drastically, but we've scored 13, 17, 17, and 22 points in the four games not vs. the Jets with Orton at QB. That sucks.

When you consider that we've averaged over 350 net yards in those same games, between that and our general inability to get 1st downs, convert 3rds, and do anything in the red zone, it tells us pretty much exactly what's wrong with this offense. Why that is the case is a different matter, but I'll suggest, strongly, that it has a whole lot to do with most people overrating the talent that this team has. The RBs are a problem and Jackson's pretty much done as a Bill. Besides Watkins the WRs simply haven't done much. Orton plays like a blend between Bledsoe and Fitzpatrick.

Either way, Albert doesn't play D in Miami, if we can't figure out how to consistently score more than 20 points then we're just not going to win many games. The team averaged more points under Manuel other than the Jets game, which only had 280 yards but put up 43 points.

We're 4-1 when we win the TO battle, 0-1 when we're even, and 1-2 when we lose it. That last win was against Minnesota who sucked.

The problem is that the teams that we've beaten are ranked 10th, 14th, 14th, 23rd, and 30th in committing TOs.

The teams we've lose to are ranked 1st, 5th, and 8th in generating TOs.

The teams that we have left to play are ranked 1st, 1st, 5th, 7th, 14th, 26th, and 30th. The last two being the Raiders and Jets. But judging by that it would seem that our chances are OK against beating the Fins, Raiders, and Jets but I'd hardly count on winning all three of those games. Two are on the road, once this week on a short week, Marrone doesn't strike me as the type to get good under such circumstances. Last season coming off of our bye week we lost to the 4-12 Falcons and allowed the third most points we allowed all season. Miami's offense this season is playing at a significantly higher level than the Falcons were last season too.
            Last edited by Fletch; 11-09-2014, 05:46 PM.
            http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/sho...s-haters/page3

Post #46

Originally posted by Yasgur's Farm
            (Moderator) My name's Max Yasgur, and I approve of this post.
            Originally Posted by pmoon6
            The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
            ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

Whaley on EJ Manuel: "We think we got a gem in this guy." (2:30)

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
              • May 2007

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
              This team's margin of error is razor thin, handicapped by an offense not nearly good enough to overcome multiple errors. The defense and special teams are strong enough to keep us in play against anybody, but without big plays from them or mistakes from the opponents, the offense will keep anybody in play against us.
              That's exactly right YR and I've been suggesting exactly that for weeks.

Not only is it not good enough to overcome multiple errors, but as in the Bears and Detroit games it had to rely on multiple errors from our opponents just to go to OT and win and the other time to barely eke the game out.

Post #46

The idea that you "won't settle" presumes that you have some kind of control. Delusional thinking at best for a supposed fan of a spectators' sport. Your way to deal with it is to constantly ***** and denigrate any move, any result concerning the team even if it's positive because you don't want your whittle feewings hurt again. It's a protection mechanism.

You shroud your childish approach in a vale of pompous, intellectual garbage in an attempt to look smart and "real". You over-analyze even minute points and manipulate statistics to fit your negative view of the team. Again, to feel good about yourself and to protect from getting hurt.

Of course, the criticisms are obviously from someone who has no understanding of the team concept or what it takes to excel at athletics.

The true "realist" understands that they have no control of what happens on the field or behind the closed doors at One Bills' Drive, so they do the prudent thing for a spectator. They enjoy the games on Sunday with family and friends, cheer for their team and realize that it's just entertainment.
              ------

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said Thursday on NFL Network's Total Access. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

"We are committed. I want you to believe me when I say that," Whaley said of building around the second-year quarterback, per The Buffalo News. "I always tell you guys that I'll never say never because I don't want to paint myself in a corner, but when I do say something, I do it and I mean it and I try to fulfill it."

"We believe the addition of Sammy is going to be instant impact, not only to our quarterback, but to what our offensive coordinator can come up with game-plan wise and how defenses attack us," Whaley said.

"And as Mark says, if in three years maybe he's not [our quarterback of the future], then I'll be sitting there saying 'hey guys', .... anybody got a job for me?" - Doug Whaley

Comment

• Fletch
                • May 2007

Originally posted by BillsFanCupp38 View Post
                This place is hysterical. Two weeks ago and particularly after the Jets game the talk was all about how good we are. Now we don't even have a chance to beat a team that we already beat 29-10. Granted, the game's in Miami this time, but it's hardly the '72 Dolphins either.

I'd put Cleveland in will likely lose to category before I'd put Miami in it. We should beat the Raiders despite the fact that we've never won in Oakland, they're horrible. But none of the other teams we play are any worse than low-end playoff caliber. They're also not prone to turning over the ball.

Post #46

------

Comment

• The Jokeman
                  • Dec 2003

A win would make me feel a whole lot better for the playoffs but you know what? A lot of things helped the Bills today so they aren't completely out of the picture. Hopefully we can beat Miami and a few more things will go our way in Week 11.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

The same games on the schedule that were winnable before today remain winnable after today. Difference is now the Bills need to beat the Pats or Broncos to make up for the conference loss today. Still see them having no shot at Denver, New England or Green Bay though.

Comment

• YardRat
                      Well, lookie here...
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                      The same games on the schedule that were winnable before today remain winnable after today. Difference is now the Bills need to beat the Pats or Broncos to make up for the conference loss today. Still see them having no shot at Denver, New England or Green Bay though.
                      They are probably going to have to win two of those and hope for an unexpected Patriot loss or two.
                      YardRat Wall of Fame
                      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                        Haha...yeah you think so ?
                        • Mar 2013

I guess the thing that bothers me most is why they don't enjoy and flourish with home field advantage. I think this was a game a home team wins and we don't look like a home team at home. I can't understand that.

Comment

• The Jokeman
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                          I guess the thing that bothers me most is why they don't enjoy and flourish with home field advantage. I think this was a game a home team wins and we don't look like a home team at home. I can't understand that.
                          Marrone is playing the Dick Jauron play it safe mentality. It keeps you in games but unless you have a better offense it makes it tough. I think with a few more playmakers on offense and it could. Maybe a healthier Freddie and Sammy will help down the stretch.

Comment

• JohnnyGold
                            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                            your optimism, albeit nice and refreshing, seems unrealistic to me.
                            Fair enough.

But I don't think my optimism is misplaced.

Bills fans are a miserable lot, and quite frankly, suffer from a case of:

"I just flipped a coin 10 times and it was heads every time. I'm going to bet my mortgage, car, and kids life on this next flip of the coin being heads."

The fact is this: the Bills failures over the last 14 years have little to no bearing on what will transpire over the next 7 games. To further bolster that idea, consider: we have a different QB, a different set of wideouts, different running backs, different o linemen, a different defensive coordinator, one of the best defenses in the league, and a favorable remaining schedule--yes, even including the last 4 games. ALSO, the rest of the AFC begins playing each other in earnest now. Last week, the win pct. for the 6 seed was .688. This week, it has come back towards earth, and by the end of the season will likely settle around 9 or 10 wins, like always.

Look, professional sports teams lose games. It happens. In the history of the four major American sports, ONE team has gone undefeated, and if they had to play a full slate of games, they might not have. Teams lose to other teams, it's what happens when you take 106 professional players and have them square off against each other. The point of this thread is that even in a season where the Bills win 10 games, you're still going to wake up feeling like this on a Monday after a loss SIX TIMES. So embrace it, and look ahead to Miami. Not every loss means the season needs to be scrapped, and coaches need to be fired.

Brown holds onto that ball, and we're 6-3. But hey, if Orton misses Watkins, or Carpenter misses a few kicks, we're 2-7. That's the NFL.

Comment

• Swiper
                              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                              They are probably going to have to win two of those and hope for an unexpected Patriot loss or two.

LOL. Some people still think this team is better than it is.

You really expect them to win ANY of those games? They just lost a VERY winnable game vs KC in their home stadium.

The schedule only gets tougher from here out.

Comment

Working...
                              X